The AWESOME Mapping Contest

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: The AWESOME Mapping Contest

Post by Feralidragon »

Dr.Flay wrote: Hmm, well if Ferali is out, and you need inspiration, what about taking on whatever Ferali had planned and running with it ?
The idea itself was quite simple: a CTF map, which is actually a race, which happens inside an infinite tube with a zone velocity set to forward and no gravity, built with warp zones to a point where the last one loops back to the first one closing the entire thing, with CTF flags to cap.

In terms of gameplay, you could get weapons on the way to eliminate your enemies with, and if you go against an obstacle you die, and could also get through boosters and such, so it's essentially a BT map as well.

The catch though, and why this could be hard to do, is that I had planned to do 12 sections to be long enough, and have each one be in a different area, as if each warp zone was actually a portal to another world, meaning: one in a city, another in a jungle, lava area, underwater, space, etc (you get the idea), but those areas would also affect the zone itself (like some lava dropping in the middle and you have to avoid it, or big tree from the jungle which broke into the section, that sort of thing).
And this could involve some work to look pretty enough, and it would potentially require some scripting to work properly in some aspects.

This is mainly why I am not really participating this time, I would rather develop all the necessary technology first to make a better job out of it, than doing a much poorer one for this contest and not even submitting it on time, while delaying other projects.

But if someone wants to run with this idea, be my guest, I will be looking forward to it. :)
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

... Any chance to see pending projects finished? :) ...
hiyas... maps, well I played some of those pending maps to see where I'd left them and I think
at this point I'll just post the playable ones as BETAs on MediaFire and link them for anyone interested
in trying them out or wanting to hack away at them :P

Theres a mall, a city, a space station, and a DOM version of the original giant 6H RUSTY contest map.
These maps use the UTR XPickups for added speed. Some might actually work better with SLV rockets.

I have some other CTF maps based on 300K maps that have extra geometry added - some of these IMO
have decent gameplay 5 vs 5 or 6 vs 6.

One that's almost done is a jungly DOM map... I find this one FUN. So I'll post that as well.

For the contest, I'm not sure yet but will be something new I think... a weird. Maybe a Donald trump
white house map ... hmmm
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

papercoffee wrote:Participants:
PrinceOfFunky
Wait, when did I say I'm partecipating?
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

PrinceOfFunky wrote: Wait, when did I say I'm partecipating?
Too late, your name is on there. Backing out now makes you a sissy. PoF is no quitter so get in there and start mapping.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

JackGriffin wrote:
PrinceOfFunky wrote: Wait, when did I say I'm partecipating?
Too late, your name is on there. Backing out now makes you a sissy. PoF is no quitter so get in there and start mapping.
Lol I don't have the time to mapping, my maps are always broken unless I make very simple ones.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

... then make a very simple one :mrgreen:

Or I could just, remove you I guess, if you want (I swear I thought you said you were in).
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

UnrealGGecko wrote:... then make a very simple one :mrgreen:

Or I could just, remove you I guess, if you want (I swear I thought you said you were in).
Well I guess it's the same if my nick appears in there or not, I have a nice map but it's all broken, I don't think is that worth to make simple maps(even if I know simple maps can become very famous .o.).
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Make a concept map Funky. That's what we are going to do. I have no desire to 'win', I just want to do something that hasn't been done. You're an ideas guy, cook up something new and surprise everyone.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

PrinceOfFunky wrote:
UnrealGGecko wrote:... then make a very simple one :mrgreen:
Well I guess it's the same if my nick appears in there or not, I have a nice map but it's all broken, I don't think is that worth to make simple maps(even if I know simple maps can become very famous .o.).
From the other thread.
PrinceOfFunky wrote:I doubt I'll be in, my UnrealEditor automatically sets bHidden to False to any actor in the map randomly, I'm tired of setting it to True to any actor everytime.
And Dr.Flay told you the solution for your problem.
A doubt is not equal a renunciation ;)
I should have put your name with a (?) into the list.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, if you need ideas for very simple maps, here's one you can do in 8 simple steps:
Step 1: Build simple DM cube map.
Step 2: Subtract some smaller cubes from that cube at the player level, and add some square doors to them.
Step 3: Have those doors opening at random, and shoot cows violently from them: if the cow hits someone, both the cow and the player explode.
Step 4: Increase intensity over time.
Step 5: Have the weapons placed to be near those doors.
Step 6: Name it "Cows Chaos".
Step 7: ???
Step 8: Profit.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Feralidragon wrote: Step 7: ???
This is the most important step ...you all should pay close attention to it, to not screw this step up.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I have a feeling step 7 may be shovelling a lot of cow crap.
The only cow I know of are pawns ported from Postal, and produce prodigious piles of poo.

... yeah that may be fairly important.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

There's an old mod where you captured golden cows hidden around the map. I'm sure I still have it if you need the mod/model.
Xenwarrior5
Novice

Post by Xenwarrior5 »

Feralidragon wrote:Well, if you need ideas for very simple maps, here's one you can do in 8 simple steps:
Step 1: Build simple DM cube map.
Step 2: Subtract some smaller cubes from that cube at the player level, and add some square doors to them.
Step 3: Have those doors opening at random, and shoot cows violently from them: if the cow hits someone, both the cow and the player explode.
Step 4: Increase intensity over time.
Step 5: Have the weapons placed to be near those doors.
Step 6: Name it "Cows Chaos".
Step 7: ???
Step 8: Profit.
That actually sounds like a lot of fun, but I would see if I could copy/paste the rooms and script 4 times so that way there can be a 4-team race to the top.

That's not the map I'm going to make though - I'm gonna try to recreate/reimagine a time-travel themed DOM map I made forever ago.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Speaking of time travel one of the ideas Bob and I had was to break the time barrier within the game. I'll make another post though.