UT99.org Monster Hunt Pack?

General Announcements about Unreal Tournament and UT99.org
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

UT99.org Monster Hunt Pack?

Post by Creavion »

I hate to write long storys, since I know my english sucks, so I make it short:

Is the community (here) interested to make a Monster Hunt pack? If yes, I would like to gain some feedback.

However, I will better set some rules at the beginning.

A) Maps, Map Converting and Brushes:

No Ripping of Unreal or UT Maps
I have seen several maps where unreal or rtnp maps were simply converted to monsterhunt maps.

Consequently:
Your map has be a "do it yourself" map.
Don`t start thinking to convert your favorite Unreal or RTNP map into a Monsterhunt map. Please make something own from scretch.

It is allowed to copy "small" brush complexes (prefabs) from stock maps or from unreal (Return to Na Pali) maps (like rocks, a mining door complex, a lamp brush etc)

Avoid brush stealing from community maps!

B) Textures, Texturepacks and S3TC

First: S3TC is optional and nobody is forced for using it.

Stock texture packs are - of course - welcome for using, since DieHards S3TC versions can be installed for a much higher graphics quality.

This brings me to the next point:
I would like - if possible - support S3TC for custom textures. So if you don`t use stock textures I would like to support a highres version of those packages.

HourIndusX, Hour Pitroes, HourKraden or HourNature, none of them should be a big problem because of the UT2004 texture versions.

Other stuff could be problematic.

This has 2 advantages:
1. The maps could be kept smaller, surely good for online playing.
2. S3TC for those who wants nicer textures.

C) Other things:

The Music: I would suggest either we would use all classic modplug music (either stock ut tracks, from unreal (return to napali) or stuff from modarchive.com).
New custom tracks would be also OK (modplug).

You can mostly decide yourself about the polycount, since I know that MH maps can be pretty large:
But this means not that you can deliver some cube rooms connected through cube corridors.
Complete crap maps (considering the visual aspects) will be sort out.

Well thats it for now.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
gopostal

Re: UT99.org Monster Hunt Pack?

Post by gopostal »

If you use the S3 textures, it will bring you huge heartache. Avoid them at all costs, unless you want frozen players, version mismatches, and general chaos on the servers.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Let you explain from DieHard the system of S3TC. I think, thats necessary.
Or read that:
http://rednemesis.beyondunreal.com/inde ... &Itemid=70
http://www.unrealtexture.com/UT/Website ... ckages.htm
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

I was involved in a total repackaging of the S3 textures so I got a good inside look at them. Too many people have had hands on them, "updating" and "fixing" but without renaming the packages

Idiots :enforcer:

so the problem is that while some package versions may very well be valid, there are S3 packs released that are not and you will get a version mismatch from players who picked these up on various other servers. Also the (also not renamed correctly) mega S3 textures released a couple years ago will cause some versions of Nexgen to completely lock you as a client, not allowing you to move, fire, or do anything but chat and quit.

Dude, I am completely behind ANYone who does dev work and tries to forward my favorite game. I'm telling you though as someone who has worked on this, it's doomed from the start if you include S3 at all. I bailed out of the S3 conversion project after seeing the errors and it was pretty much stopped. Every person I know who installed them has removed them because of conflict, and I have seen them posted to a couple of redirects even after STRENUOUS warnings in the installation package by me NOT TO PUT THEM ON SERVER.

If you still have doubts, throw on a base install and I'll find the S3 textures on a redirect somewhere that is public. Then you can join any 109 nexgen MH server and see the suckage yourself.

I'm sorry bro, I'm not trying to be a killjoy. I just want to save you some heartache.

Edit: I dug up the readme for the project we were working on:
READ ME S3TCTextureFix.zip
(3.04 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
Last edited by gopostal on Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

I hope now you have understood me right. DieHard only has the tools to compile those REAL versionsmismatchless S3TC texture packs (he wont give them away but you can contact him for compiling). I have informed myself very well about that stuff.

My map will have a normal unreal texture package, p8 textures or how those uengine 1 textures are called if you load them in UT2004 Ed. Just normal textures for mapping, which can be normally load over the UnrealEd.
Beyond that in a extra dl archiv you can find the high res - s3tc version. For those who wants to enjoy a nicer looking map or so. This is optional and should satisfy the hardcore classic unreal / ut gamer/fans but also the ones who seek for high resolution graphics.
About to be non-active
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

That's what I'm trying to explain to you bro. You need to export those textures, totally rename the packages, then import them for the mappers to use. No matter who compiles them or how, if you don't change the package names you will have serious issues. Die is not the only guy to have done this, though his work is admittedly the best I've seen. His major flaw was releasing a texture block with different properties but no renaming. That will always lead to bad trouble.

You can't have "mismatchless" files. If I release anything with the same name as you do, there will be mismatch.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Oh man, of course I will give this texture package an unique name (short version of my name, a reference to MH as gametype and the maps name). If a joker should come one day and name his package as like my one, I can not avoid that. But with clear package names it can not happen.

And I still dont know why you are got mad about that. Imagine, I have "spoken" with DieHard in the past several times. And imagine I will contact him about my plans with that MH texture package and imagine I will let check him if everything is alright. Calm down, I know what I do.
About to be non-active
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

I'm not upset in the least. You misread my intentions. I support you 110% and I'd help you in any way you might need. We don't have enough developers any more so people stepping up should be helped at every opportunity.

I had misread that you are intending to re-release (or support a re-release) of the S3 pack without making a custom pack download. I'm glad I'm straight on this now. I did not mean to seem unfriendly, I just feel strongly about keeping any messes to a minimum. New players coming into UT will be apt to leave if they find messy files or have to learn about how to fix mismatches before they can even play online. Look at all the trouble City.tex has given the MH community....

If this gets off the ground, I'd be happy to script a map tool that will replace the stock textures with your updated ones once I have the list. You could do a full replace in ed, check the alignments, then save the map as a reversion and everything would be perfect.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

gopostal wrote: If this gets off the ground, I'd be happy to script a map tool that will replace the stock textures with your updated ones once I have the list. You could do a full replace in ed, check the alignments, then save the map as a reversion and everything would be perfect.
No further reply from me to this .. sry pretty pointless discussion.

However, I hope to read some replys soon by some interested mappers.
About to be non-active
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

Fair enough I guess.

Good luck.
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

good luck with the project, and good luck getting the mappers to understand the rules......

It HAS to be "do it yourself" ... but still ok to copy some brushes ........

Only use default modplug's .... you may also use custom modplugs ....so what if i use umx files instead? ROFL .. modplug only has the format .it in comment with the ut engine, but you can't use .it unless you convert it into a umx package.

about the S3TC ... well, I'll go for gopostals version on this one. Don't use it, certainly not map/server side. It would be the same as naming your texture package MyLevel.utx.
Retired.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

I don`t repeat myself, it works if you do it right, otherwise ask DieHard. See the Unreal and UT retexturing project and again, the S3TC versions will be optional. You can say DieHard as well "Stop better your project because of bla bla". Oh my god, what stubbornness. :roll:

And nobody is forced to use S3TC. Maybe you understood me there wrong. (will better add this to post 1)

For the so far existing unreal and ut highres texes clients can use those ones:
http://www.unrealtexture.com/UT/Website ... ighEnd.htm
And the server versions:
http://www.unrealtexture.com/UT/Website ... ckages.htm

The editor can import *.mod, *.s3m, *.stm, *.it, Fastracker 2, and so on. This all can be of course saved as umx. I know you can convert mp3s to wav and save it than for the engine understandable as umx. But those files are normally pretty large if you want a suitable quality.
I called this all mod music. Maybe you know it under an other word. Otherwise visit modarchive.com. Maybe you understand than better what I mean.

@Do it yourself: What it says, make a map from scretch, I dont want to see a MH-NyLeve, or a MH-Noork, or a MH-RTNPCrashsite. This is like "adding monsters in an already existing unreal single player map". Is that better to understand?
About to be non-active
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

The editor can import *.mod, *.s3m, *.stm, *.it
Note that the stardard sound "galaxy.dll" (which 99% of players use) doesn't support all of the *.it song's features. I found that out the hard way. If you guys need to convert something to a compatible importable module just drop a PM.

Concerning the mappack... I have an old unreleased MH map which was almost released as a SP map about a year ago... it's finished as a SP map, but I can tweak it and modify it to be a fully working MH map again. Is this thread good enough for screenies?
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Thanks for the correction.

Just show the screenshots.
About to be non-active
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

Right... so I go and dig out an' old map of mine and compile this strip of 10 shots.
shots.jpg
Yes I know this one seriousely lacks some visuals... It was supposed to be oldskool unreal style... it feels something like the outdoor/rayigar levels from unreal combined whit an extra twist...
It even has traslocator events scattered around to tell the player a lil story and support for all the difficulty settings... which is useless for MH...