Reviving UT Movement

General Announcements about Unreal Tournament and UT99.org
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Reviving UT Movement

Post by Feralidragon »

Madis, I never said that people said that I would create the entire community for myself. But due to the lack of opinions, green light from admin, etc, I came to this point.

Also, it seems that only ut-slv is willing to help, but all the other communities with no exception didn't give a damn, or didn't want to. Even if you, some of people in ut-slv and some of this forum join funds to create that center, there will be always problems in sustaining it. Even smaller communities have these problems, and some of them almost closed down (rosebum, even ut-slv if I am not mistaken, this forum had also some problems [but was mostly on expanding, not in mantaining afaik], etc).

Personally, I could only help giving ideas for the layout, somewhat tell people about it (like I did) and then help in the forum itself (once working of course). Regarding the coding, I know one of the best ones that might be willing to help (he already helped in this forum, and he's the only one keeping our clan forum as well, and it has plenty of activity), and I can call him if this goes forward, then it's up to you and him to accept.

Plus, I think Univeral Unreal would be even better than the News thing, since people enter in a server, see people "!go whateverserver" or "!go 2" and they would know more mods, gametypes, players, etc. I saw that system working like that, motivating more people entering in the servers in SLV, BT and KB servers, and it really works. It was that way I knew Wharthog for example, and is one of the most active servers ever (I don't know if it's since Universal Unreal or not), but it works.

Now, my main problem in all this was basically:
- Lack of people willing to help (while in ut-slv there was relative a lot of people willing to help, in the other forums it wasn't that good, if any good).
- People had chosen this domain/community to start to be that center, due to its activity, already central position and stability, so I contacted the only admin of all this ONLY TO KNOW if we could proceed with that (more people working in the code needed, more mods, and at least more 1 admin from whatever place), no reply whatsoever, just to say YES, NO or I WILL THINK ABOUT IT.

That's why I am basically pissed and intended to quit this huge project. Each one wants to keep his/her community as it is, with afraid of loosing it, or they don't have time, or aren't willing to, etc. The only 2 communities that said something about helping was ut-slv and this one so far.

I didn't informed BU or RB though, since in RB they would either flame it or come up with "RB is all that matters to us", and in BU I'm not even sure if I could post even this little information (they could think we would steal their UT members or something, but this is my assumption, so if anyone wants to inform them, go ahead).

So, with this stated, what do you want me to do then? It's all that I ask. Posting everything again and be even more specific? Do anything else? What should the rest do? Where will be the hosting for all this? I was waiting for that kind of discussion around here, I asked it, part of it was answered but it never moved, specially after what happenned when things should run.

That's all
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Post by [did]Madis »

Get on xfire.
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Already there.
Sergeant Todd
Adept
Personal rank: Retired Jedi

Post by Sergeant Todd »

[did]Madis wrote:Get on xfire.
Yeah, xfire, FPSBanana, etc. That's the idea.

Hey let's not get all depressed Ferali..the game continues to be great fun in all it's flavors, and let's just keep modding/mapping whatever for it, for as long as we enjoy it. Make sure to let us know what you're doing in the forums. :D

Google for Hazel's new UT maps: DM-Chizra and DM-Subterrane :tu:
Sergeant Todd
---------------

"I miss Olmos & BG, as a matter of frak'd!"
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

After some talk, there's going to be a round 2, but using a very different method that might actually work (it's way more effective, good, pleasant and faster to achieve for everyone).

Expect some news soon. :)
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

Feralidragon wrote:After some talk, there's going to be a round 2, but using a very different method that might actually work (it's way more effective, good, pleasant and faster to achieve for everyone).
My thoughts too. This is a good time to take a few steps back to be able to make more steps forward.

I'm really interested in hearing all the new ideas.
MEAT
Adept
Personal rank: better then you...

Post by MEAT »

I think a good way to unite most of us...is to remove the 1000 or so dead unoccupied servers.
This way it limits the amount of servers that are available/active and hopefully makes us closer.
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

true, a method to do that is to have the master server remove servers that have been inactive for a given period and then add it again if it becomes active again? .... master server .... Epic ... hmmm .... they'll shut it down soon i think? Then ut99 end of?
Retired.
[did]Madis
Adept

Post by [did]Madis »

TheDane wrote:true, a method to do that is to have the master server remove servers that have been inactive for a given period and then add it again if it becomes active again? .... master server .... Epic ... hmmm .... they'll shut it down soon i think? Then ut99 end of?
Shutting down master servers is an inevitable faith for most all games out there. However, it has never stopped the modding community of finding a workaround and replacing the existing master server.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Sergeant Todd wrote: Yeah, xfire, FPSBanana, etc. That's the idea.
Hm... in FPSBanana I am somehow active too. Especially in the UT99 section :D
If I can help? (but don't know how)
MetzelMade
Novice
Personal rank: Oldschooler

Post by MetzelMade »

Very nice to see that there are a lot of ppl like me out there that still love UT99 THIS much!!
For me it is still the best ego shooter out there.

What i really don't understand is, that Epic does not recognize it???
Of course they made UT03, 04 and so on but we all know, this is not the real classic UT, it does not have this special magic :D
They just messed it all up with stupid supermoves, strange grafics and in some cases a bit quake like, this is not what we want.
I often had pauses, even for a year sometimes, but however anytime i get back to it and love it again and again :mrgreen:

So what i just ask me since long time....

Why does Epic not remake UT? Just with some refinements with the weapons maybe. (We all know sniper is to heavy ;-))
A bump in the grafics, but it should still have this clear appearance. Just a general update, with one important point: keeping it CLASSIC! This would be a real Blockbuster :rock:

Am i alone with these thoughts? :sad2:
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Post by Shadow »

KiLLJoY wrote: What i really don't understand is, that Epic does not recognize it???
Epic doesn't care.
KiLLJoY wrote: Why does Epic not remake UT? Just with some refinements with the weapons maybe. (We all know sniper is to heavy ;-))
A bump in the grafics, but it should still have this clear appearance. Just a general update, with one important point: keeping it CLASSIC! This would be a real Blockbuster :rock:
Epic doesn't care.
KiLLJoY wrote: Am i alone with these thoughts? :sad2:
Epic doesn't care.
I do.
robin13
Experienced
Personal rank: NaliSlayer

Post by robin13 »

Shadow wrote:
KiLLJoY wrote: What i really don't understand is, that Epic does not recognize it???
Epic doesn't care.
KiLLJoY wrote: Why does Epic not remake UT? Just with some refinements with the weapons maybe. (We all know sniper is to heavy ;-))
Epic doesn't care.
KiLLJoY wrote: Am i alone with these thoughts? :sad2:
Epic doesn't care.
I do.
1: Indeed Epic doesn't care.
2: They tryed it tripple,but failed (UnrealTournament 2003,2004 and 3)
3: We as UT community do care,Epic doesn't.
Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.
Napoleon Bonaparte
[did]Madis
Adept

Post by [did]Madis »

Lmao, can we have an UT discussion without the "Epic doesnt care!" bs?
Sergeant Todd
Adept
Personal rank: Retired Jedi

Post by Sergeant Todd »

[did]Madis wrote:Lmao, can we have an UT discussion without the "Epic doesnt care!" bs?
Yeah, Epic did their part. They gave us the game. It's up to us to keep it alive with our custom work. Mappers! are you listening??? :D

"Patrick, do you think Squidword was trying to tell us something?"
Sergeant Todd
---------------

"I miss Olmos & BG, as a matter of frak'd!"