Why UT COULD get a "small" engine upgrade Comment Thread

General Announcements about Unreal Tournament and UT99.org
iloveut99
Skilled

Re: Why UT COULD get a "small" engine upgrade Comment Thread

Post by iloveut99 »

luluthefirst wrote:
iloveut99 wrote:About ut99, seems that happens to me frequently when connecting to a server that require downloads, my ut freezes for a while, before the first download begin. This is a bit disturber.
erase all your UnrealTournament\*.tmp
that's what i do all the times when my UT is starting to freeze a bit
Hey thanks seems work! :P
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Actually the patch is finished - with the expection of the including of anti cheat, but because some - sry - really annoying customers are extra annoying at the wrong time, the patch is still not finished yet with a progress of around 99 %.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

can't wait ...can't wait ...can't wait ....wooooooooooooh...
n][c][o
Average
Personal rank: New generation

Post by n][c][o »

Creavion wrote:After that we have to see what happens regarding UT and Epic.
Umm, where is the best place to get informed about the recent situation around the Epic and about their responses to the UT patch etc.?
I'm really interested in that and, I would be really happy, if the discussion with the Epic guys had a happyend..
It quite pisses me off that I can't help in any way.. :?
nicio
Smirftsch
Novice
Personal rank: Frog

Post by Smirftsch »

well, sorry people for delay.
Got some other last minute bug and work kept me "of course" busy. It seems that fate doesn't like me to release this patch...

Ok, but seriously, as Creavion said, >99% is done and its just the last fine tuning, to make it the best possible. Only if it works as perfectly as possible there will be a chance that people will assist us enough to convince Epic having more attention again for these old games. So please forgive me the ongoing delay, I'll release it asap.
n][c][o wrote:
Creavion wrote:After that we have to see what happens regarding UT and Epic.
Umm, where is the best place to get informed about the recent situation around the Epic and about their responses to the UT patch etc.?
That's a good question. Although its been 5? years now when Epic stated in their own forums that they gave me the source and since then nothing ever again, it's the only place we can be sure is in their attention. Maybe some are still at BU but I doubt they visit these forums frequently. I have no one from Epic ever seen on my boards.
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

Maybe a bit strange to say... But UT99 is already been over 10 years... maybe they dont care about it anymore? Else loads of forums should hade some Epic guys who still work there and love UT99... they should have been triggered i gues
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

GenMoKai wrote:Maybe a bit strange to say... But UT99 is already been over 10 years... maybe they dont care about it anymore? Else loads of forums should hade some Epic guys who still work there and love UT99... they should have been triggered i gues
Epic is still making money with UT99 and bundle it in UT series packs. Yeah, they care, just not at the same level as we do. :(
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

Hmm they care for money... thats for sure... but for the game itself?
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Smirftsch wrote:well, sorry people for delay.
Got some other last minute bug and work kept me "of course" busy. It seems that fate doesn't like me to release this patch...
God is (not) epic/Epic. :ironic2:
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Smirftsch is a member of the former UTPG team. Thats the reason WHY he has the source at all.
About to be non-active
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Creavion wrote:Smirftsch is a member of the former UTPG team. Thats the reason WHY he has the source at all.
I didn't know that. :o
So, if he was from UTPG, and since UTPG was allowed to release patches for UT, why can't he release the UT patch again (at least to fix the stuff that got screwed over at v451)? Sorry for the question, but that info really got me wondering now.
Smirftsch
Novice

Post by Smirftsch »

luluthefirst wrote:Yeah, UTPG stopped working on UT patch in 2004, UnrealEd is still not working on 451b patch, they are still getting the money :omfg: hate that, they stopped for no reason, maybe they are tired programming :| too bad, it's a great game and they stopped making patch anymore, and the patch isn't finished yet, they must fix a few things, like the game sometimes gets a General Protection Fault about teleporter when we switch from a server to another...
The money? What money? Wondering what people think sometimes ^^
Feralidragon wrote:
Creavion wrote:Smirftsch is a member of the former UTPG team. Thats the reason WHY he has the source at all.
I didn't know that. :o
So, if he was from UTPG, and since UTPG was allowed to release patches for UT, why can't he release the UT patch again (at least to fix the stuff that got screwed over at v451)? Sorry for the question, but that info really got me wondering now.
Yes, thats indeed a good question and to be honest, I can't really answer that question, I can only tell you what I think.
I think that Epic was kinda disappointed with the results of the UTPG team and 4.51 was no "entire success". Why they didn't release 4.68 is still a bit unclear to me, as it would have fixed some things already. From what I know they wanted to finish the Mac port first, or something in there wasn't ready yet. Then the team became more and more inactive. I have the 4.68 sources also.
I was grouped into UTPG but was never really part of this team. When I joined UTPG formally they were pretty inactive already, but I was never really part seen technically, as I concentrated at this time only on Unreal 227.
The next "unsuccessfully project" in their eyes was probably 227 itself, although I continuously worked on it, the progress was slow. Shambler was at this time with me, but soon moved on to 2k4. Jeff Morris was the responsible person at Epic when I started and he always tried to help and was always there for questions, but he left a few years ago and nowadays now all this NDA stuff seems to be only a pain in the ass for them.
When I released 227f, Epic was already very uninterested whats going on, and nowadays I only get the answer for anything I write to them: "we don't have the bandwidth to", such as the question for making a new UT patch based on the 227g code with "We don't have the bandwidth to oversee such a project", the answer for releasing my Mac OSX port was exactly the same. You can imagine how disappointing it is- I have a fully working OS X port (well except OpenAL at the moment) and can't release it.
Basically I have anything needed to make a new UT patch, but I'm not allowed to.
At the moment it seems I can be happy that they don't deny me 227g.
All hope is that they will show some interest again in the old games if 227g becomes a success.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I said it already (some where) ...I don't get it …they don't care for this old game but on other hand still care about and block every improvement.
I am still confused.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

@Smirftsch: Ok, thanks for the explanation, now I understand it. Just like papercoffee there, the only thing I can't understand now is what's going on Epic's heads to not let the UT patch coming out as they permitted 227g, as since they permit 227g is because they trust you and in your capacity, perhaps they should give a 2nd shot to UT and you to somewhat "clear up" UTPG's failure with at least the "fixing patch".
But yes, having 227g is already very good indeed.
Smirftsch
Novice

Post by Smirftsch »

Feralidragon wrote:@Smirftsch: Ok, thanks for the explanation, now I understand it. Just like papercoffee there, the only thing I can't understand now is what's going on Epic's heads to not let the UT patch coming out as they permitted 227g, as since they permit 227g is because they trust you and in your capacity, perhaps they should give a 2nd shot to UT and you to somewhat "clear up" UTPG's failure with at least the "fixing patch".
But yes, having 227g is already very good indeed.
I wouldn't bet on this. Currently I have more the feeling that they only tolerate what I'm doing because I did it before and still have the NDA. Doubt it has something to do with trust.