Why UT COULD get a "small" engine upgrade Comment Thread

General Announcements about Unreal Tournament and UT99.org
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: Why UT COULD get a "small" engine upgrade Comment Thread

Post by Creavion »

Shade wrote:
gopostal wrote:Why waste my (and by extension your) time with innuendo and speculation if you have no desire to expand on it? I was honestly interested but now I think I was just given the "piss off, you aren't in the club" response.

Seriously it takes you "some hours" to bang out a few lines? And dude I've spent all evening many times helping a single person, let alone four. It won't kill you, it's called goodwill. Some people even <gasp> believe it leads to friendship and camaraderie.
Please watch your language. Constructional(!) critism is okay and wanted, but please avoid useless provocation.
No, I think there was a small misunderstanding. It does not seem that he wanted to insult me.

Ok the fact is, I should keep quiet. We dont want to disappoint the community .. so before I would promise anything which will not happen, I better dont say anthing. Only 3 people (including me) are supposed to know about that, what I do not want to reveal. I did not even tell the other mods. They are also do not know LIKE YOU.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

Epic doesn't have the "bandwidth" to provide even "minimal oversight" for any projects that involve updating the UT source code. That's the only decent reply I've gotten after 6 months of trying to get in touch with them. End of story.
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Post by [did]Madis »

anth wrote:Epic doesn't have the "bandwidth" to provide even "minimal oversight" for any projects that involve updating the UT source code. That's the only decent reply I've gotten after 6 months of trying to get in touch with them. End of story.
Sure they do, it's just that it would distract them from milking money from the console and also now, the handheld market (if you consider the iPhone a gaming device, which Epic apparently does)
[youtube]D5U3JeyVmRA[/youtube]

I cringed at 0:30, just listen to him say that.
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

wikipedia wrote:In 1999, the company changed its name to Epic Games and moved its offices, including its Rockville headquarters, to Cary, North Carolina.
Their games after 1999 focus on the general market, aesthetics, money milking, ect.
Their migration to consoles is because developing for consoles is more profitable.
And they are doing a really good job. I can't wait to see how they screw up UT4.
How many people have an iPhone??? Now that you counted, multiply that whit the average price of a games and there you have it.
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Post by [did]Madis »

Except that only trendy mentally challenged people think gaming on an iPhone is a good idea. It's a horrible platform, and that Game Center or whatever is so blatantly obviously designed to rip off the people who're dumb enough to fall for it.

The worst part is that they still officially claim that they're a PC developer first and foremost, while the only PC (multiplatform cancer) game they're working on isn't even developed in-house, but by People Can Fly.

I don't have anything against consoles, but turning classic PC franchises into multiplatform games just makes their PC counterparts suffer from lack of features the puny xbox/ps3 controllers just can't handle. Deus Ex: IW anyone?
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile
UT99 - good
Novice

Post by UT99 - good »

Hmm from what I read here i see that a new UT patch is ready but can't be released because of epic games. I'm just wondering, what will happen if you just release the patch anyway? Are they gonna trace the IP, house and come to your house?? I really think that if a good patch is released and improve the engine then this game will become better than UT2004 and UT3.
Something else i have been wondering for a while. Epic games released unreal engine 3.5 for free under the name UDK. They release a new version every month as it's currently beta. As far as i know people are allowed to make games on that engine with the editor as far as they are free and not gonna be sold.
So is there any possibility to port UT99 to UE3.5? UE3.5 has a lot better graphics and not just that, it will support a lot more things and stuff and will be a really good thing to see :)
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

1) Companies have bigger methods and enough money to trace anyone who's actions might affect greatly their industry, for good or for bad. Although I believe no one has it (no one active at least), if someone released, his/her head would be on the line in court. No one wants that.

2) UDK is free as long your games are free, plus you can only release something with the UDK with 100% original content, which means that you cannot use UT stuff from any series to make a new game in UDK. So that's a no no.
You can use UT, UT2k4 and UT3 stuff in whatever UT version as part of a mod, but regarding totally new games, it's simply illegal.
UT99 - good
Novice

Post by UT99 - good »

Ah ok then, it seems impossible UT to be ported to UE3.5 without epic's explicit permission.
I think the best thing is somehow to make them allow that patch to be released, this game is just Epic and no other game like ut2004 ut ut3 can be better. But is it really going to affect their new game like UT3 if a new patch for ut99 gets released? Isn't there a way to give this patch to UTPG as i've read they have a right to release patches?
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

UT99 - good wrote:Ah ok then, it seems impossible UT to be ported to UE3.5 without epic's explicit permission.
I think the best thing is somehow to make them allow that patch to be released, this game is just Epic and no other game like ut2004 ut ut3 can be better. But is it really going to affect their new game like UT3 if a new patch for ut99 gets released? Isn't there a way to give this patch to UTPG as i've read they have a right to release patches?
In resume, UTPG screwed things over, and disappeared without any notice. Epic lost trust, interest and any remaining will to give the UT99 community anything at all. You're free to take your own conclusions now....
UT99 - good
Novice

Post by UT99 - good »

ah i understand now. Is there any way to ask epic to trust someone? Maybe UT99.org or something similar to have permission to improve the game? Or somehow try to talk to UTPG and ask them to release it. Otherwise i see this game needs improvement, d3d10 doesn't work properly, d3d9 has problems too, d3d8 has them too, so it really needs the patch.
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

The only way you're going to get a new patch for UT is by buying the game from Epic and that will cost you a lot.
TehDevil
Novice

Post by TehDevil »

If Epic Games does allow this, will this be able to converted on more Unreal Engine 1 games like.. umm.. Nerf Arena Blast or some old games whose companies are dead, meaning some Unreal Engine 1 game's licenses are now non-licensed ?

or in short, will you release source code for this? :mrgreen:

(Sorry for bad English)
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

They're not allowing it and even if they had allowed it, a source code release would've been out of the question.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Only hope so far is the finishing and releasing of 227g. What comes after that, I dont know. If I would know about the future of ut in terms of that patch I would already start to build a map in Unreal ...

@TehDevil... no. NO! Thats not a matter of the engine. Its a matter of the game. Expect for Unreal and UT it is not worth the trouble.. to update a game engine. This would requiere not epics but rather the developers permissio and btw.. seriously.. NOBODY would do it anyway. Actually the case here with Unreal is already special enough.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Saya-chan
Adept
Personal rank: Former UT99 modder

Post by Saya-chan »

Creavion wrote:@TehDevil... no. NO! Thats not a matter of the engine. Its a matter of the game. Expect for Unreal and UT it is not worth the trouble.. to update a game engine. This would requiere not epics but rather the developers permissio and btw.. seriously.. NOBODY would do it anyway. Actually the case here with Unreal is already special enough.
In this case, has anyone ever contacted Sweeney? Just curious...
  ~♥~ Bless the Cute Emperor ~♥~