[Update] The UT Community is growing! (Statistics for you)

General Announcements about Unreal Tournament and UT99.org
fast586
Novice

Re: [Update] The UT Community is growing! (Statistics for yo

Post by fast586 »

UT99 lives on! There's just something unique to that version of Unreal Tournament. In all the advances in gaming architecture that have been made, UT99 is still extremely popular with both young and older players (I"m one of those older players..LOL). How cool is that? 8)
brazzjazz
Average

Post by brazzjazz »

Hi everybody, I got the notification e-mail too - and believe it or not, just before that I had (quickly) played UT. Yes, it IS the best UT, and I have always felt Epic Games dumbed the series down later - less intelligence, more muscles. UT2003 and its successors are highly developed products, but are just a very different style. It's also annoying how the whole interfaces of current PC games nowadays have typically been made for consoles and are just ported for PC users. I just love the sophistication of UT, and magically I get repetedly drawn back to this game, and the nostalgia associated with it can be overwhelming! In my case UT was published only a few months before I got my first PC. I would also like to play UT on the internet, the problem is that most of the people playing these older FPS are quite the pros, and I'm pretty much in the middle.
MEAT
Adept
Personal rank: better then you...

Post by MEAT »

Don't start counting your chickens yet...this forum maybe growing in popularity but other forums are empty and dying.
Which might mean...this forum is just a gathering place for those of us still around?
`Mex
Novice
Personal rank: Hitokiri

Post by `Mex »

It's too good a game, it just seems impossible to kill it. The newer games like ut2k3/3 and ut3 are just watered down versions of the original with slightly better graphics. The COD and Battlefield series are just too slow and noddy. Imagine if there was a true remake of 99 without bastardizing the game play how much money would they make? freaking shed-loads :)
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

`Mex wrote:It's too good a game, it just seems impossible to kill it. The newer games like ut2k3/3 and ut3 are just watered down versions of the original with slightly better graphics. The COD and Battlefield series are just too slow and noddy. Imagine if there was a true remake of 99 without bastardizing the game play how much money would they make? freaking shed-loads :)
How true! - I agree! :agree1:

It was mentioned that "other forums are empty and dying" - yeah, SOME others, but there are other UT forums and servers too, that are Growing and Active, more so than a while back also! :rock: - so yeah, UT is going good for a lot of us! :tu:
So yeah, Maybe ... this forum, and a few others, are a gathering place for those of us still around - us die-hard UT fans. :wink:
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Post by Shadow »

Wow! This is really some great news :D
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

*Yeehaaw!* UT99 Never die! 8)
brazzjazz
Average

Post by brazzjazz »

ASLYE702 wrote:*Yeehaaw!* UT99 Never die! 8)
Phraggonía likes this.

I also wonder whether some of you feel like gathering with other forum members and playing UT again? It would be great to replay all the levels one by one. I'm saying this because when you nowaday connect to UT servers than most of it is Face and Deck, which is great in its own right, but UT was so much more.

The fact that UT was hugely popular and still is with some people, makes it possible that there are always enough people to have at least a couple of servers full (compare with OldUnreal, which has one, two active servers or so). On the other hand, I guess we can safely say that the demographic on those servers is rather narrow compared to the huge scale in, say, 2000. Fewer, and for the most part quite experienced people playing the classic levels. I'd really like to replay more levels, and with people of my own skill level... I for my part was and still am a fan of the otherwise not-so-loved Domination.
Flatus
Novice
Personal rank: highest known

Post by Flatus »

Best memories lasting forever were made playing this game while making some friends & still in contact are priceless. :D
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

Flatus wrote:Best memories lasting forever were made playing this game while making some friends & still in contact are priceless. :D
Speaking of...
Flatus, you are still around - stop by our joint again! :tu:
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
KeeperUTX
Skilled
Personal rank: Eevee will kill you.

Post by KeeperUTX »

The community is growing! That's great, more UT fans means that UT certainly won't become a relic of the past, like some other games!
Image This is Eevee, a ferocious creature that never relents in tracking its meal. It will lead you to ruin, and when it does, it will finish you.
The way it bobs its head lefty-righty? It's just cracking it's neck so it can get a better grip on you with its jaws.
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

Most users ever online was 99 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:58 am
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

UT Sniper (SJA94) wrote:Most users ever online was 99 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:58 am
Something must have happened between 7-Nov and 9-Nov, but I can't put my finger on what exactly.... anything specific done or posted during those days? I am curious on what could bring people back to the forum, and more importantly, to UT of course.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

Phraggonía wrote: I also wonder whether some of you feel like gathering with other forum members and playing UT again? It would be great to replay all the levels one by one. I'm saying this because when you nowaday connect to UT servers than most of it is Face and Deck, which is great in its own right, but UT was so much more.
How about some matches on (or after) Christmas playing the new maps from the contest? :o

@Ferali: Maybe the aftereffect of NW3's release remained, or everyone was expecting the next step after the poll for the contest's style has ended...
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I doubt it was NW3 causing that flood of people coming in to the forum, given that the release was 03-Nov (Saturday) and that flood started at 07-Nov (Wednesday) and ended at 09-Nov (Friday).... it was something else and I would like to know what. If it was the contest, then it must mean more should be made afterwards, if not, ....

EDIT: Unless someone backlinked the NW3 thread elsewhere, which matches somewhat Evilgrins and GEx posting about it in other forums of their choices (looking back at the posts) and matches the time frame where most posts were made in that thread, but I still....