Google Adsense adverts - What do you think?

General Announcements about Unreal Tournament and UT99.org

Which advert-position can you tolerate to see it as logged-in too? (PLEASE read the post first!)

Head-position
50%
Foot-position
27%
Under the first post
12%
Please no ad!!!
12%

Total votes: 26

Shade
Site Admin
Personal rank: Founder of UT99.org

Google Adsense adverts - What do you think?

Post by Shade »

Some of you may already noticed the adverts at the header, footer and below the first post in every thread.
Its all reliable Google Adsense and will only shown the guests.
The reason of my decision is to balance the domain- and servercosts and to extend the webspace and traffic for more downloads.

And if the income is high enough, I will rent a UT Server for the community. :)

Ok but now the question...

Which advert-position can you tolerate to see it as logged-in too? (The adverts arent stupid and will only show us ads related to the content on these sites here, so it can be usefull sometimes. It can be possible that there are useless adverts too at the moment... it just take a bit time until google has scanned all sites.)

I would be glad if you log out, have a look at the adverts, then log in again and vote. :) (You may select up to 3 options)

EDIT:
(google isnt dumb, so please do not click the ad every day... intentional and(!) continuous clicking to get money isnt allowed... but i think there will be interesting adverts for everyone...anytime =P )
lauren
Skilled

Re: Google Adsense adverts

Post by lauren »

Nice way of presenting something
LT
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: Google Adsense adverts - What do you think?

Post by Creavion »

Header
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, good way to make some cash to pay more traffic and so, and possibly a new server :tu:

And for me, these ads (I already saw them) don't make any difference to me visually, because they don't take much space, and the letters follow this site style.

A very good way indeed to pay this stuff, even more because this is already the biggest UT99 site/forum ever, and that helps with the ads, good job Shade :gj: :gj: :gj:

Oh, my opinion: Head
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

Footer if it doesn't make technically difference. I don't mind some ads if they aren't annoying and it will help this site.
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

I clicked no by accident sorry. :noidea anyway I think the ads are a good idea. I mean you have the user base so why not? :tu: i mean its not even a big deal :tu:
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

Those ads are barely visible.
Usually when a site puts in ads it's because there isn't enough money to host the site. And usually the ads screw up the whole site, and makes it look like crap.
Ads tend to be really unprofessional.

But in this case it's different, and they look cool compared to other sites where google ads are present. And if I know well, google ads don't have glittering, flashing adverts that makes you vomit. Or at least I hope so.
Protos
Novice

Post by Protos »

Ads are stupid and counterproductive. Someone will put up and ad free site and then your done.

Your call, but if you cant afford to run an ad free site you are not going to be around long.
Shade
Site Admin

Post by Shade »

Protos, i think you didnt realize why I make this all? Its for you, its for the community, not for me!

Maybe you didnt read my first post carefully...
"The reason of my decision is to balance the domain- and servercosts and to extend the webspace and traffic for more downloads. And if the income is high enough, I will rent a UT Server for the community."
But really Protos...
i4mages -> includes ad
beyondunreal -> includes ad
unrealplayground -> includes ad

etc... ;)
Protos
Novice

Post by Protos »

Believe me I do appreciate your efforts - I am just anti ad. Do what you think is best.
lauren
Skilled

Post by lauren »

Shade wrote:Protos, i think you didnt realize why I make this all? Its for you, its for the community, not for me!

Maybe you didnt read my first post carefully...
"The reason of my decision is to balance the domain- and servercosts and to extend the webspace and traffic for more downloads. And if the income is high enough, I will rent a UT Server for the community."
But really Protos...
i4mages -> includes ad
beyondunreal -> includes ad
unrealplayground -> includes ad

etc... ;)
Personally I think the ads wont bother Me or anyone else. Ads are everywhere and its something you should get used to seeing all the time . Find me a webiste with no ads on their isent one . Even ut clan forums have them . And yes it makes money so . Shade :tu:
LT
Shade
Site Admin

Post by Shade »

@Protos: I could remove the ad if anyone would donate for UT99.org. ;) So if you dont want donate, the ad is the only alternative.

I just want to try the advert-way at first. If it doesnt work well, i will add a donation-possibility.
lauren
Skilled

Post by lauren »

Shade wrote:@Protos: I could remove the ad if anyone would donate for UT99.org. ;) So if you dont want donate, the ad is the only alternative.

I just want to try the advert-way at first. If it doesnt work well, i will add a donation-possibility.
Ill donate for you
LT
Shade
Site Admin

Post by Shade »

Yes you already said that and thats really really friendly... but lets first try the the ad-alternative for one week or two. ;)
Shade
Site Admin

Post by Shade »

Okay, i think the result is clear: adverts at the top and at the bottom of the forum will be visible for registered users too.