UT99.org Community Map Pack Ver.2 [Preparation Thread]

General Announcements about Unreal Tournament and UT99.org
--=PsyXandeR=--
Inhuman
Personal rank: BANANAS

Re: UT99.org Community Map Pack Ver.2 [Preparation Thread]

Post by --=PsyXandeR=-- »

Proof or your map does not exist.
Also, how come your weapon mod survived all the HDD crashes and maps you have been making didn't? It is rather suspicious.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

--=Aalexanderrr=-- wrote:Proof or your map does not exist.
Also, how come your weapon mod survived all the HDD crashes and maps you have been making didn't? It is rather suspicious.
Don`t mind about him. Either he shows something what looks decent so he could join or not.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
-Feint-
Skilled
Personal rank: Amateur Mapper

Post by -Feint- »

Testaccount wrote:I'd like to offer CTF - (Kismet) up for the map pack. A harsh yes or no will suffice. If anyone has an inkling it could be of standard with a few changes let me know what they are.

The main thing I want to do for my map now is to add a blender-fan to the ventshafts.

Kismet VERSION 2 Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NIKFJIC2

Courtyard - http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd26 ... rtyard.jpg

Flag Room - http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd26 ... agroom.jpg

LavaBridge Corridor - http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd26 ... pool-1.jpg

Barracks New Access - http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd26 ... sRoute.jpg

Ventilation System / Fan Room - http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd26 ... System.jpg

Changes since the last time you saw Kismet can be found on my Introducing New Maps thread.
However in summary the whole thing has been retextured, relit (including the light sources), the AI pathing has been refined, and I have introduced some extra corridors and the Ventilation System which can only be accessed via one method. So I ensured there is nothing of importance up there, yet still have a reward for those who venture. Not only does it connect the two barracks it holds the Udamage. :rock: However this area still needs texturing properly.

As a whole the map has been designed for iCTF. So there are alot of choke points, multiple routes and the occassional wide space.

This really is a map you have to play rather than look at. Let me know? :mrgreen:

DIT2:

The map has now been named
Its file name on release shall become CTF-LCMC, the full name is
The Liandri Corporation Medical Centre
Last edited by -Feint- on Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanomanUK@i4games-Forum wrote:Nah, people bitch one way or another.
You cant win as a mapper ;)
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Only looked at shots: I hope this is only the layout... because with this really poor archi you can not join.
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
-Feint-
Skilled

Post by -Feint- »

Testaccount wrote:
Creavion wrote:Only looked at shots: I hope this is only the layout... because with this really poor archi you can not join.
Correct. I still need to figure out how I can add archi to it. any ideas?
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

-K¡ngS- wrote:
Creavion wrote:Only looked at shots: I hope this is only the layout... because with this really poor archi you can not join.
Normally you think about this while you building your map. (or earlier through concepts)

Geometry Example Tutorial
http://members.fortunecity.com/bot40/Tu ... apetut.htm

Lighting Tutorial
http://teamvortex.planetunreal.gamespy. ... hting.html
About to be non-active
-Feint-
Skilled

Post by -Feint- »

Testaccount wrote:
Creavion wrote:
-K¡ngS- wrote:
Normally you think about this while you building your map. (or earlier through concepts)

Lighting Tutorial
Okay no problem. However you are not very helpful just reposting Geo Tute, Lighting Tute to everyone who comes here. Atleast try to point out a key error - I have even followed David M's own methods of lighting in my map, a single light for a corona a second light which is duller but broader and then if nessecary a light on/near the ground.

And also you seem to have architecture confused with structure in some aspects. Not every building you walk into has supportbeams that are visible or jutting edges out of every corridor.
Next time you walk into a standard building like your house,library or McDonalds you tell me they don't have flat walls without massive pillars, jutting extrudes etc.

Anyway. Not meaning to sound like Im ranting. On track.

I was considering adding the following (and yes theyve been in mind since the beginning) :

Skylights to the "courtyard" sections, at the joining section Im going to place coving. (wall trim,but on the ceiling)

Centrally each courtyard is going to have an Operating Table.

Between the archways into the PoolBridge room will be a bevelled Cross in either Red or Blue. Underneath the cross will be a sink, and side unit.

On most of the walls will be Hand Rails.

The place cannot be cluttered up by too much "Architecture" as it is a HOSPITAL. Hospitals everywhere are pristine, cleancut edges with minimal clutter. Heres the concept so it might make more sense.
The Lindri Corporation Medical Centre

The LCMC, is a building of yore. It was constructed before Liandri had developed the life saving technology they have today that results in "The Respawn".

Combatants would have to slink down to this slightly grimy place and heal naturally, however sometimes more blood was lost than saved here as Deathmatch grievances often carried over to this place.

Since Liandri no longer had need for a Medical Centre, they converted it for The Deathmatch. They even left the baths of Blood,Water and the Operating Tables.

The rotting stench is so strong Liandri had to build a Ventilation System to pump out the fumes.

--------------------------------

PS Half, Nay almost ALL of the Links in that Geo Tute are either broken or lead to deadpages. :pfff:
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

-K¡ngS- wrote:
Creavion wrote:
-K¡ngS- wrote:

Lighting Tutorial
And also you seem to have architecture confused with structure in some aspects. Not every building you walk into has supportbeams that are visible or jutting edges out of every corridor.
Next time you walk into a standard building like your house,library or McDonalds you tell me they don't have flat walls without massive pillars, jutting extrudes etc.
I have no idea, what you mean exactly..
but to archi I quote somebody:
Herr Gabriel wrote:http://www.ut99.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... 21&start=0
4) I think you need to improve your brushwork as well. You are way too static. The game is called "Unreal Tournament", remember? So make some unreal and awesome architecture.
For some decent ideas download the best of the best like Operation Na Pali..there are some really awesome maps where you can learn a lot of. I have a lot of to do with my own stuff, I can not help everybody with his maps in details. It is not possible!
About to be non-active
Rob_Master Builder
Adept
Personal rank: Level Designer :-)

Post by Rob_Master Builder »

Here's my possible contribution to the second map pack, still ALOT of work left to do but I should be finished by November. :?

Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

Looks promising :tu:
Rob_Master Builder
Adept
Personal rank: Level Designer :-)

Post by Rob_Master Builder »

Thanks alot Raynor, I need to knuckle down now and sort out all the millions of little things that need fixing on this map, the list Is getting longer each day. :P
-Feint-
Skilled

Post by -Feint- »

Testaccount wrote:
Creavion wrote:
Herr Gabriel wrote:http://www.ut99.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... 21&start=0
4) I think you need to improve your brushwork as well. You are way too static. The game is called "Unreal Tournament", remember? So make some unreal and awesome architecture.
For some decent ideas download the best of the best like Operation Na Pali..there are some really awesome maps where you can learn a lot of. I have a lot of to do with my own stuff, I can not help everybody with his maps in details. It is not possible!
Aye I guess both of these are right, and I appreciate the fact that everyone has their own things to do as well,however it is a Community Map pack, and I always had the understanding that meant that the Community had a say in how things were developing, assisted one another and so forth. At the moment it just seems like a bunch of mappers making maps on their own and then bringing them all together and saying its a Community map pack.

Anyway - I'm still working on it, added in several "space filler" objects sounds bad I know but its not. Images later today.

And Im working on wall trim. Now I have had timeto read the Geo tute you posted in MORE depth than I could before I can see errors I have had, an yeah it does look "painted" on.

So Creavion I owe you an apology. I am sorry. :what:
And also a thankyou. :)
Expect alot more shots coming up. I aint stopping til this map gets to map pack standard this one OR the next. If its the next map its going to change RADICALLY, in size and quality. :rock:
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

-K¡ngS- wrote: At the moment it just seems like a bunch of mappers making maps on their own and then bringing them all together and saying its a Community map pack.
Do you really think, thats NOT normal? We are not here to teach you to make a good-looking map from scratch up. Just as little as like the FOT (unrealplayground) or CBP (beyondunreal) series. Of course, you can get help with some problems but a certain knowledge about mapping (includes the sense of architecture) is required.
About to be non-active
dynaphase
Average
Personal rank: since99

Post by dynaphase »

can any of my maps join ? I have some of them ?
UT forever
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

dynaphase wrote:can any of my maps join ? I have some of them ?
This one?
http://www.ut99.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... &sk=t&sd=a
About to be non-active