Gustav Holst - Mars

Do you search a certain mutator, mod, skin, map, everything else?
Barbie
Godlike

Gustav Holst - Mars

Post by Barbie »

I want to add that classic music to a map but the mono 16 bit wave file of the one at youtube has a size of 18 MB. I also found some midi files, but they have poor quality. Any suggestions for a smaller file?
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Gustav Holst - Mars

Post by OjitroC »

A dramatic piece of music - here's something you may be able to use - just over 4 minutes of Mars - 16 bit, mono, 11025 sample rate wav file - performance and quality are OK, perhaps just a little quiet - just over 5MB file size (from here http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/tv/tenpieces/holst_short.mp3)
mars.wav.zip
(4.49 MiB) Downloaded 16 times
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

OpenMPT + find good MIDI + find appropriate instruments set - export as IT.
https://openmpt.org/download
Acoma
Average

Post by Acoma »

yeah with wav files all you can do is drop the sample rate and shorten the song, if it were an mp3 or something else you could use vorbis settings to dynamically drop the file size

one more step to what you did was drop it to 8bit but it gives you some bad hissing
Attachments
noncopyright.zip
(8.51 MiB) Downloaded 12 times
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

To make it a sensible size it should be 8bit mono at 11KHz or 22KHz if it sounds like total 💩
Or stop messing about with WAV.
the audio renderers from Oldunreal support most audio formats inc. MP3, OGG, FLAC.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Dr.Flay wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:53 pm the audio renderers from Oldunreal support most audio formats inc. MP3, OGG, FLAC.
And also they crash game at some music or miscellaneous sounds... and some of them are sounding really bad...
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Here example .mid and .it from it.
mars.zip
(360.53 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

The samples in the windows basic GM midi support are not very suitable for orchestral music.
The IT file also seems to have lost half the channels in conversion

Using the Arachno SoundFont it sounds better but still not great, and as that exported a 15MB IT file, I think getting a really nice soundbank/soundfont so it sounds good all the way will result in a file size that is even more pointless.

In all the years of using the newer audio renderers from oldunreal I have not had problems with any UMX files I made containing OGG audio.
I use OGG for the compromise between size and quality, but have tested with MP3 files and not had any issue with the music crashing the game, or sounding bad.
The audio sounds as it should, no worse that what was put in the UMX container.
It is more likely people didnt have OpenAL installed properly or that their renderer settings were not correct.