DMBeyondthesun and DMRetrospective

Do you search a certain mutator, mod, skin, map, everything else?
Vankuss
Experienced

DMBeyondthesun and DMRetrospective

Post by Vankuss »

These two maps were available in Unreal with one of the last patches (can't remember which one).
I tried to use the old trick, inserting directly the .unr files in map directory, and then trying to move all the textures needed. No way: maps are in need of an Engine.Something. I don't know how to move. Someone know a method to convert these maps?
AliveTillFragged
Average
Personal rank: Semi-Noob Mapper

Re: DMBeyondthesun and DMRetrospective

Post by AliveTillFragged »

engine? What exactly does the error message say when u try and open the map in UT?
Vankuss
Experienced

Post by Vankuss »

Class 'Engine.DynamicCorona"

Both maps.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Those are Unreal 227 maps only. Not a chance to play them with UT. Not any, forget about it. I advise not to convert them for UT, since the authors would not be very amused (at least I would be rather pissed if somebody would do this with my maps) about it and it would generally destroy the ambience, since UT lacks of some engine additions which 227 has. Do you yourself a favor and forget about it.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

You could replace the effect with the one in the SDK (It has always been a part of the SDK).

If all the stuff that is missing for us UT users was listed and compared to the SDK, how much do you think would be transferable?
I guess Shadow is the best placed to answer that though.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Dr.Flay wrote:You could replace the effect with the one in the SDK (It has always been a part of the SDK).

If all the stuff that is missing for us UT users was listed and compared to the SDK, how much do you think would be transferable?
I guess Shadow is the best placed to answer that though.
No. Can you please show some respect to the authors and just not even consider something like that?
Besides this would be very difficult, nearly as like porting UT2004 maps to UT with all their effects... :confused2:
Creavion wrote:I advise not to convert them for UT, since the authors would not be very amused (at least I would be rather pissed if somebody would do this with my maps) about it and it would generally destroy the ambience, since UT lacks of some engine additions which 227 has. Do you yourself a favor and forget about it.
I can already tell you more engine stuff is missing. And if those maps would have been done with 227g at least then they would surely have static meshes as well.
Porting maps like DM-Rankin for UT. You know how "awesome" they can look. :ironic2:

By the way: I was tester for 227 for a year and some weeks. I am not talking BS. I know what I am talking about.
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Post by Shadow »

Well on my opinion the great 227 patch and the SDK are two different approaches. While the 227 patch has a small team behind it, I'm alone. Also I don't have the full source and I'm not allowed to change the source either, thus the maximum features similar to the 227 patch which can be included in the SDK is limited.

But in this case you may easily exchange the 227 Dynamic Corona, with the SDK's corona. You simply need the latest 227 patch / UED 2.1 and the SDK for your UT.
Vankuss
Experienced

Post by Vankuss »

Mmmh, well... since this has so many problem... would it be legal to make a remake of these maps?
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Post by Shadow »

If the author(s) give(s) you the permission to it, yes.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

It is not a matter of legality, it is just a matter of respect and good manners:
If you want to play these maps for UT, it would be easier to contact the authors via E-Mail or via PM on oldunreal. Maybe they even port the maps if they see the interest from your side. In no case you should do this by yourself specially not without to let the authors know about your actions. These are not retail maps by the game developers, these are still community made maps where you should not just port or rip stuff.
About to be non-active
Vankuss
Experienced

Post by Vankuss »

These are probably the only map not ported/converted into UT.

Thanks for the tips :=)

EDIT: Actually Beyond the Sun is one of the best custom maps I've ever seen (after Ancientopia :P). Very good job to the author (Krull). I'd like to see this map converted to the Tournament... maybe one day, lol. Where could I contact the author? I can't register to OldUnreal forums cause I can't see the registration code...
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Creavion, calm yourself, I am not advocating ripping-off peoples work, and I am aware you are very familiar with 227, as we have talked about it in the past.

It is just a technical point for the future.
If we don't get the pleasure of the enhancements of 227, how much can we match "like-for-like" any important missing functions.
I know it can't be 100% because they are so different, but some stuff will over-lap or be similar, so can be replicated.
e.g. An existing tutorial for building a map in 227 would work well with using the SDK.
People could look at each-others work and say "groovy, how did you do that ?..."
"oh cool, I can easily translate that for my map, there is a list that shows the equivalent function".

I suggested a way of solving Vankuss's (too many s's dude) problem, because at the moment the SDK is just a "play-thing" until no major changes are to be made. If Vankuss was foolish enough to release a conversion, no-one without the SDK would be able to play it anyway.

Vancuss, If you want to be dirty in private we can't stop you, but if you want to wave it in public, you will have to ask permission.

*TIP*
Anyone editing or converting a map or mod, is always best asking the author for help, as they will know more about it than anyone else!

That is why I contacted the author of my W.I.P. When he told me what he originally intended to do with it, I started finding lots of his unused brushes and textures, and have been able to use some of them. That will make him happy, and my CTF version will be closer to his original team-based game.
He wanted to make a "Cops and Criminals" assault city map. I am just trying to make it feel finished, and have a good tactical usage. A few things about it are opposite to how I actually like to play, which is odd
The author is very keen to see me finish it.
...many, many, messages from him :D
I think he will be impressed...I'll be, if I finish the damned thing!
There were (and still are) a stupid amount of BSP errors in it, and hunting and dealing with those has taken many hours I could have spent doing the real work on it :(
I still have bot issues, but It does play a lot smoother now though :tu:

I have learned lots of stuff I will never do... when I be brave and actually build my own...(yes you heard me...stop laughing)
It may have to be FOOD related, as comments from a few people have made me look more seriously at an idea ;)
Don't hold your breath. I am rarely happy with my own work, so unless I get more time the food will be late and over-cooked.
Vankuss
Experienced

Post by Vankuss »

I would be happy even with only the layout of the map, lol!
I'm trying to recreate it (obviously for personal purpose, also this way I'll learn a thing or two using the editor).

I don't care about the 277 features (I don't even know what are), I'll try to replace the things as best as possible.

Btw my two cents on recreating maps and these type of things: let's say I create an awesome map. People start to like it, and some mappers start to creating rip-off and modified versions. I would be very very happy: this means I did a good job on creating my maps. Well of course I'll be a little "OMGRAGEE!!1!eleven" if someone post the map somewhere without saying "Vankuss made the original" or similar.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Sry (Dr. Flay), you just gave me exactly that impression. I really hate people stealing content from maps without asking (which is normally the case). I dont know if it is right, to suborn people like that.
However like I said it is useless to consider a port of that map, since at least NetworkEmitter an SunLightCoronas are missing. All this is directly implemented into their version of Engine.

Editing a map for personal learning however is off course ok, as long you dont make it public and claim it as your own work.

@Remake: What you describe is something different and indeed welcome and pleasing for the author. Remaking a map from scratch witout ripping something from the orignal one is ok, however some people just think it would be ok to rip content for their remake. Nobody would hold you back from doing something like that.
About to be non-active
Vankuss
Experienced

Post by Vankuss »

Ok sorry to bother you guys, I just wanted to know what features the map DMBeyondthesun uses from 277.
I should be able to replicate it all, like the kickers, the effects, the portals, etc. So, what are exactly the changes I can't do in UT?

What the SunLightCoronas and NetworkEmitter do? My hypotesis is they are the emitters from the portals...