Looking for an old city map

Do you search a certain mutator, mod, skin, map, everything else?
Shivaxi
Novice

Looking for an old city map

Post by Shivaxi »

So yeah...I'm lookin' for a certain city map...sad part is I cant remember jack about it so I'm not even sure if it was DM or DOM...but here goes the best description i got...

-It was like a city map (no not zahltag), not like a big city, perhaps a small section of it (outside at least)...though i remember this map being absolutely gigantic...i'd spend my time just exploring the place...and it was quite professionally built (at least so i think).
-There were sewers you could go around in underneath the city. I remember a manhole you could open in the middle of the road to enter, and also a sewer hatch/door thingy on the side of some complex...almost like a secret entrance maybe
-For some reason I remember lava? Like...a trench or something beyond the city with lava in the background...im not sure...and i think it was near that sewer hatch/door entrance like on the side of the building or whatever...
-There was a little road that slanted down to a lower level of the city, leading to a massive warehouse with a huge garage door that could open and close iirc (mover)...the warehouse was huge and full of massive crates everywhere and stuff...and there was this one little room to the right when you first entered with stairs leading up to it...the room was special but i cant remember why...shield belt or super health or something...
-The warehouse (and most of the buildings) had these ventilation shafts and air ducts all along the walls and ceiling that you could run through...with little hatches on the floor of the vents to jump out into whichever building you so chose...i think the vents were all connected through each building...and i remember the vents also led to the roof of one of the buildings...
-There were obviously lots of sniper places...atop buildings etc...but also there were these big catwalk things connected to the sides of the buildings or something...the rounder buildings that didnt really have roofs? i cant really remember...memory is vague on that part...
-There was one building that was really interesting...like...inside im pretty sure it was low gravity...i think...again i cant rly remember...the walls were circular, the ground was water with catwalks on top of the water...with tunnels leading in and out underneath in the water u could swim through. There were also elevators and spiraling catwalks leading up the structure...though where they went i cannot remember. Also, there was some like...big floating electrical chamber or something in the middle? maybe that had the low grav...i dont remember why it was there but, i think you died if you fell into it...
-At the end of one end of the street outside, the road led into a tunnel which was blocked off by a fence or gate or something (invisible collision hull obviously, creating a boundary for the map), and i remember parked vehicles in the tunnel or something...

There were a lot of other hidden places and secrets and cool areas to explore, but my memory is so vague on a lot of these details already...played this ages ago, and it only just recently resurfaced to my mind for whatever reason.

I know i played this ages ago during the first years of UT99. and I was not one to download maps back in the day...so I had originally thought this was apart of one of the bonus packs (which downloaded for me automatically back then?), but anyway...turns out it wasnt in the bonus packs...so i really have no idea where it came from. Point is...i dont have it anymore...and nostalgia is driving me nuts...

But yeah...hope someone knows what im talkin' about :3
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Re: Looking for an old city map

Post by UTPe »

uh oh...there are a lot of maps with these or similar features :shock:, it's really difficult to point out one
DM-DarkCity2 ? DM-RUSHCityPro][ ? DM-Zeitkind ?
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

that sounds sorta familiar... around 2000-2001 period, right? ducts, sewers and warehouses were in a lot of urban maps - i have a lot of urban maps somewhere - i'll have a look... akuma had one with lots of sewers, but it doesn't have the duct system you described... did this map have subways at all?
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
MEAT
Adept
Personal rank: better then you...

Post by MEAT »

A lot of what you describe does sound like DM-2ndSpaceBeacon...minus being a city map.
Shivaxi
Novice

Post by Shivaxi »

none of those maps sound familiar but...if anyone could post links or pics to these maps i can start sorting through them

EDIT: hang on...googled dm-2ndspacebeacon and i think that's the one! lol the description i found on this site for it says "It's not just a map...it's a whole city!" :P so idk...always seemed like a city map to me...

Thanks MEAT!
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

wow, that was fast....!
i would have remembered a name like "spacebeacon" so that means now i have to go get it, lol!

"nostalgia" is powerful stuff ... even after all these years
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Shivaxi
Novice

Post by Shivaxi »

apparently the first spacebeacon was made before the release of UT99?? O.o who is this guy lol...

so yeah there's 3 versions...spacebeacon...2ndspacebeacon and 3rdspacebeacon...i think the one i played is 2ndspacebeacon and the 3rd one is just a slightly updated version...i cant find much difference in the 2 but im wondering if anyone has an opinion on why maybe one is better than the other.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Read the "blurb" ifyou want to know the difference
http://planetunreal.gamespy.com/View.ph ... il&id=2412

*EDIT*
I notice it is awkward to find, so here is a good place to get it.
http://www.deadcatz.com (Clan of the Dead Cat)
http://www.deadcatz.com/Filez/dm-3rdspacebeacon.zip
MEAT
Adept
Personal rank: better then you...

Post by MEAT »

Shivaxi wrote:none of those maps sound familiar but...if anyone could post links or pics to these maps i can start sorting through them

EDIT: hang on...googled dm-2ndspacebeacon and i think that's the one! lol the description i found on this site for it says "It's not just a map...it's a whole city!" :P so idk...always seemed like a city map to me...
Thanks MEAT!
Key to any successful player... "know your maps".
I have a little over 400 maps in my collection, mostly large sniper type maps and I know most of them top to bottom.
Funny and to get off topic for a sec (because this thread is finished) the problem I have with knowing my maps so
well is that I get called a cheater all the time... :roll:
I run 194 maps on my server...if you were to kill me during a game, I probably could find you or know where you were
7 out of 10 times as soon as I spawned back into the game. Basically because I know my maps that well.
And for that I'm called a cheater?
No, cheating is when someone uses a radar mod to find you.
Spending hours and hours learning maps (teleports, spawn points, hidden secrets...etc) is not cheating.

And you are welcome Shivaxi.

(MEAT climbs down off his soapbox)
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

2ndSpaceBeacon is awesome map on it's own. Really like it's layout and size, one of the largest. Got lost in there multiple times, memorable level :thuup:
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

Raynor wrote:2ndSpaceBeacon is awesome map on it's own. Really like it's layout and size, one of the largest. Got lost in there multiple times, memorable level :thuup:
Does anybody have a link to the 2ndSpaceBeacon map? :tu: I know I have the 3rd.
(although I really gotta start up and look on my old comp where I keep my UT map stash of several thousand maps LOL)
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Unless you have a reason to need v2, stick with v3 as there are a load of fixes.
Shivaxi
Novice

Post by Shivaxi »

I personally like v2 better. just some little things he changed like certain textures and lighting that didnt make sense in the 3rd one...there was something else i thought but i cant really remember. I have all 3 now though so im happy ^^
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

Not a bad map, but it isn't really that big.
There are much larger maps.
I would call this one medium to nearly large.

One other thing ...
We added both 2ndSpaceBeacon and 3rdSpaceBeacon to our CMM server, and the players remember it and like it pretty much, but most of our players agree on one thing.
There are way too many rooms and places to get lost in, so it isn't a good map to play.
You spend most of the game play trying to get back to the outside so you can play again after getting fragged.
We were saying that it would be good, or even very good to play, if we reworked the map a bit by eliminating most or all of those "lost" rooms and mainly just keep the outdoor areas. :tu:
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777