Fire Texture tutorial

Do you search a certain mutator, mod, skin, map, everything else?
Torax
Adept
Personal rank: Master of Coop

Fire Texture tutorial

Post by Torax »

Searching for complete (or user's) guide about UT fire textures. I had found one many years ago but i lost it... :help:
It told about different types of textures which can be created using UT Fire Texture engine, discovers variables and so on..

Help please, maybe someone will understand what i'm about..or have something similar to my description
Unreal. Alter your reality..forever...
UT99.org

Re: Fire Texture tutorial

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:Coding the Fire.rar
New Projectile.rar
Coding the AltFire.rar

12 lesson for do a rifl http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... ls-Weapon/
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

@ medor
I think he doesn't mean the fire modes of your weapon... he means fire like on a torch "feu de torche"
mister_prophet
Average

Post by mister_prophet »

Not really the same thing, but I have a pretty straightforward tutorial I wrote some time back on Ice Textures, which are a little more robust than Fire Textures if I'm being honest. I go over Fire Textures for about five lines in this; http://www.unrealsp.org/community/level ... tures.html

Why are Ice Textures more fun to use?

Torax
Adept
Personal rank: Master of Coop

Post by Torax »

medor wrote:Coding the Fire.rar
New Projectile.rar
Coding the AltFire.rar

12 lesson for do a rifl http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... ls-Weapon/
I not mean something related to weapons
I mean textures for exemple like GreatFire.utx, AlfaFX.utx and so on includes. Fire textures, Energy textures, Energy bolts and spherical lightnings... There WAS tutorial related to this theme
Unreal. Alter your reality..forever...
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I never read any tutorial on that to be honest. The thing is you just choose pallete(usually from palletes.utx) and then try various variables/settings, paint with mouse left click, erase paint with right click. However it was always difficult for me to create them, it takes a lot of subtlety to make it right, wet textures are far easier to do.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I have that fire tut somewhere. I'll keep an eye out for it and post back when I run across it.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

Well here my post is against this topic.

I actually want to export some Fire Textures from UED but my UED crashes when I click to "Export To PCX".

Is there any other way to export the Fire Textures???
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

you can't export them ... iirc, you create them using a small editor and they are stored in a UTX file or in myLevel. You will see that in the tuts mentioned here.

Export to PCX works for a texture (bitmap), but a fire (or ice) texture is not an image. It is really not difficult to make them, for example, to make a nice green torchflame takes only a minute or two, once you have a little practice :)

and that water pool shown below looks quite good ... ice? hmm
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

The only kind of procedural textures that I do nowadays are only ice textures.
They are not hard if you don't aim for precision, but once you want to have that generator point at the exact center or in other exact point, it's pretty damn difficult (unless you use a mouse macro or something similar).
I wonder which tool did Epic use to build precise textures, they certainly did not use the same editor they gave to us (nor for BSP for what is worth).
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Post by Shadow »

Epic wrote that fire texture subengine nearly completely in assembler, that way it was/is fast as fuck, but also seems to be limited in means of user comfort
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Shadow wrote:Epic wrote that fire texture subengine nearly completely in assembler, that way it was/is fast as fuck, but also seems to be limited in means of user comfort
Well, the way it was coded shouldn't justify usability. They could as easily add some further tools in the fire texture editing, like a grid and a list of generator coordinates, and the fact that they do have precise fire textures in the retail packages tells us they certainly had such a tool but never released it for some reason.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

I remember seeing a post from Wildcard with a perfectly made trollface using a FireTexture.
He used a mouse movement tool or something of that kind if I remember well.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Yeah, it was a mouse macro iirc (which would be the only way to do it as I mentioned above):
Feralidragon wrote: They are not hard if you don't aim for precision, but once you want to have that generator point at the exact center or in other exact point, it's pretty damn difficult (unless you use a mouse macro or something similar).