'Screen' by Mychaeel

Do you search a certain mutator, mod, skin, map, everything else?
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: 'Screen' by Mychaeel

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Thanks for reminding me, Dr.Flay! Could you tell me how do I upload something there (by PM)?
Edit: thank you!
Last edited by UnrealGGecko on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

@ Dr. Flay: uuuummm and where is this example map You mentioned ? :p Im blind and do not see it :/ Maybe this mod become better than 'screens' (or maybe it is now ?, due to lack of normal internet im my new house Im unable to watch movies showing this..), ....hmm I must watch these from friends pc..
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I assumed it was in both distros. Sorry just checked.
It is in the Unreal download.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

@Dr Flay .. This 227 thing .. what exactly is it?.. I cant get my head around it and its usefulness to ut99?

also .. the Unrealcomputer thing is pretty awesome .. but it looks to be something entirely different to the screens mod. for example screens can import information from external sources , like other servers or websites and display the information within the screen > within the map

this other Awesome thing you have proposed here , seems to be like embedding personal UnrealComputers into maps which allow for users to store Pm's , passcodes used to open doors and activate movers (Which is also very cool)

perhaps Iam missing something here?
Old UT Veteran
Skilled

Post by Old UT Veteran »

Wises wrote: this other Awesome thing you have proposed here , seems to be like embedding personal UnrealComputers into maps which allow for users to store Pm's , passcodes used to open doors and activate movers (Which is also very cool)
perhaps Iam missing something here?
I've got the perfect video for you my friend. :) Its part of a major single player modification called "The Chosen One." Yes, it's a "Unreal Computer" and it was supposed to be used for activating movers specifically.
The single player mod which will use it:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-chosen-one

Sadly, the creators of this mod appear to have abandoned this major project long time ago (last update was 2 years ago), which in my opinion would truly display the 'real' potential of the Unreal 1 Engine. Since the "Unreal Computer" was part of this single player modification, its hard to believe that we will get our hands on it. I was really hoping that the release of this mod would've come soon but eventually it just got quieter and quieter. Its really disappointing for such an amazing project by Dead Cow Studios to suddenly become quiet. I hope that they're still working on it. Well, anyways here's the video:

Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

227 version is a better version of Unreal 1. with many bug fixed, many additions etc. This version is even stored with UnrealED 2.1. our UED 2.0 has many bugs that they already fixed in 2.1. Sadly, Epic Games or whatever cant give permission to upgrade UT99 and its editor :(.
oldunreal.com is the home and Smirtstiff (or whatever this guy is called) is a father of this 227 new version.. I want to have UED 2.1 within UT99.. maybe Epic give permission in future so send milion mails to Epic and supporting Smirtstiff might be a good idea ;)
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Ah yes, I don't know if it can handle external data the same.
Yes it is designed as a computer interface within the game, but you can just use it as an interactive screen in any way you want.
The demo map uses it in a desktop PC, door panels and the control interface for the train.

Sorry, Unreal 227i is the latest version of the Unreal patch.
The updated UEd 2.1 has certain advantages over our version. Better lighting and useful tools for swapping items.
There is a stand-alone UT99 UEd2.1 but it is NOT the same. It is just v2 pre-installed with handy extras (very useful).

Unreal 2.1 accesses all the new functions available to the new 227i engine. These functions are not available in UT.
The closest we can have is the UT99-SDK, as Smirftsch is the only legal keeper of the U1 source code (we should give him body-guards!).
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

Im have a question regarding Screen mod. I know how to embeed screen.u into myLevel package and of course I going to do that, but there also a screen.int and screen.ini files. These files should be embeeded too in myLevel ? or just throw them up?
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

I think they're not necessary because they are there to see the current version and select if they should fetch live results online (if there's a slide that does it).
Gizzy
Novice
Personal rank: Brit

Post by Gizzy »

If any decent amount of progress is made on some Portal-themed maps for UT, I would happily finish my Portal Gun mod and let them use it.

And yes it uses the actual Portal Gun model from the game Portal :tongue:
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

Hi. Im know nothing about 'portal maps' yet.. Anyway, anyone help me with Screen mod ?. I have scripted texture in MyLevel and next I want to embedd a Screen.u into MyLevel too, but it is not showing in actor browser (when I load Screen.u normally then evertything is good), anyone playing with this in the past ? It seems that Screen.u can't be in MyLevel.. arrgggh! that makes me angry...
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Hmm, then try to not embed it into the map, just zip the screen.u with the map when you release it. :?
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

yeah it might be a good idea, because these classes are linked to packages (icons, scriptedTextures).. But in second hand, players do not like have extra files within folders.. Everyone ? what do You think ?
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

sorry another interesting thread i let slip off the radar.
hmm in respect to extra files and stuff.. as long as they are in there respective folders they should be fine;

System\.u
Music\.umx
Sound\.uax
Textures\.utx

then i don't see a problem.. in fact several maps do this.

as long as it works imo :)

with the screen mod.. iam wondering .. did anyone ever get it to work online (aside from nogginbasher) who used some webscripting and bypassed the internals for this.

this mod is supposedly capable of grabbing and displaying in realtime information from other servers.
therefore you could in theory.. run a map with portals (teleports) with a 'screen' above/beside like in an airport.. this screen could query a server which would be linked to the portal (teleport) and display various bits of information from the queried server within the 'screen' within the portal map itself.

also i briefly read on some forum that there was a way to open / run multiple maps via one utserver.. although i don't know what the outcome was .. or if it worked.
that ^ could have also been quite interesting to use with the whole portal map concept.

just thinking.. perhaps has something to do with the paths= part of the ut.ini meaning.. perhaps have x2 copies of the 'System' folder.. And Paths=System2

then try and utilise in someway the ut.ini from the second folder simultaniously whilst running the ut.ini from the main System (folder)

anyway.. how'd you get on with this one radi? be kean ti see what u came up with.

@hitman .. i watched that video and you are right it adds a lot of halflife(1&2) type functions into the engine.. which is a bummer why they desisted from finishing/releasing the project..

there are a lot of these awesome idea's which have become obsolete/redundant for one reason of the other.. and most i think because of the stagnantness and incapabilities of this engine itself.

how ever .. i live by.. where there's a will , there's a way phillosophy and stand by that.Therefore to get past the engine problems we have seemingly 1 of 3 options...

1. port forwards the entire game to a newer engine 2k4/ut3 retaining all the main stuff.. gameplay/looks/feel but also upgrading things like player meshes/physics/sounds lighting /ambience and all the other cooler things the newer engines offer.

2. port backwards to the U1 engine and get the benefits of the only developer alive to legally possess the source code for both versions of UT1/UT99.. ironically enough .. rumor has it that he don't like.. UT99 either.. :/

3. hope / pray that the source code falls off a truck and into the hands of one our developers here who has the time / energy / balls to fix what ever needs be fixed and release a patch for the diehard ut fans worldwide.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

I don't see why you insist on MyLeveling it, just package it normally.
Gizzy wrote:If any decent amount of progress is made on some Portal-themed maps for UT, I would happily finish my Portal Gun mod and let them use it.

And yes it uses the actual Portal Gun model from the game Portal :tongue:
What like this ?
http://www.moddb.com/mods/portal-gun

Or Gopostals version 3 (fixed for online play)
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=194613
http://files.myopera.com/dr-flay/unreal ... alGunV3.7z