Project UT Decade

Discussions about UT99
Acid.OMG
Adept
Personal rank: XFIRE: mmmmtoasty

Project UT Decade

Post by Acid.OMG »

UT99 Players,

On January 17, 2010. The 10 year anniversary of the oldest most active multiplayer game in history UT99 will be celebrated. How you say? Well I had the same question, my answer....

I want all of the UT99 communities to come together in helping me contact epic games, weather we have to sign a petition or just ask. I want to have UT99 Re-Done and no not another UT2003/2k4, or UT3 no UT99 remde. New map, Gametypes, Look.... And i want it to be as easily compatable as 99 not too high tech just new default textures ect...

As for mods I want them to incorperate our most popular including RX, Bunnytracks, Zark Sniping, Bin Slayer, Monsterhunt, Seige and a few others. I want them to make a defualt UT version of all those mods.

As for maps They should pick the top 8 maps of each gametype and redo them to be more proffessional (No choppy walls ect...)

And weapons such as the RX maybe make their own universal version of it... New game music, Textures, Skins And maybe even some current homemade skins like Sgt. Nutz ect.. Personally i think that epic games will make more money on this than its worth.

If you have any ideas comment or anything pm me or create a second topic i want to keep this topic open for updates and maybe a petition if needed...

Thanks,
-Acid.OMG
Last edited by Acid.OMG on Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
[/Awesome]
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Re: Project UT Decade

Post by GenMoKai »

Owke, i think im going to sound a bit harsh

But i think this wont work

Reasons:
-Its a very old game
-Maps are getting better then the original ones
-Unreal/Unreal Tournament gave us the opportunity to create our Gametypes/mods/maps/scripts/etc...
-Epic isnt going to create a nother game that WONT use the StaticMesh system. Cause to be honest as a mapper Brush based maps can give many bugs like HOM/ICH and more
-There are a lot of tweaks for UT that improve there graphics and stuff

I like the idea though, but im really sure this isnt gonna work... sorry to say
The good gametypes (such as Jailbreak/Monsterhunt/Bunnytrack/StrangeLove/etc...) Mostly have there own official site where you can discuss/download stuff from that mod (example http://jailbreak.beyondunreal.com/)

I really appreciate that you want to give UT99 a nother chance to go on for ages (cause most of us want that for sure) But i think that it wont work...

If we going to do this, we should discuss a bit more about this cause it isnt a waterproof idea yet
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Acid.OMG
Adept

Post by Acid.OMG »

Hence the title Project UT Decade

I agree i thought this up a while ago but if they just simply redo ut99 maybe even fix somebugs that alot of people get then we might be able to pull this off

I wouldnt mind buying a version of ut similar to our own creatred communities but more proffessional

like wouldn't u like it if they made their own clean version of maps like $ or made some maps for monsterhunt

i think we should at least try this game is going on 10 years and the dedicated people in it deserve something to show their not old and outdated gamers lolz

"Don't be so negative its not going to hurt anyone and if anything it will get them mroe money"
[/Awesome]
GenMoKai
Godlike

Post by GenMoKai »

I agree with you, dont worry! But i think this plan is very hard to do. We need enough people i gues when Epic agree with your idea, We can give it a try ;) "Never shot is always a miss"
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Acid.OMG
Adept

Post by Acid.OMG »

GenMoKai wrote:I agree with you, dont worry! But i think this plan is very hard to do. We need enough people i gues when Epic agree with your idea, We can give it a try ;) "Never shot is always a miss"

I like the way you think... But i need some ideas and a way to conatact them because i searcher a few months ago and found nothing
[/Awesome]
GenMoKai
Godlike

Post by GenMoKai »

GenMoKai wrote:If we going to do this, we should discuss a bit more about this cause it isnt a waterproof idea yet
Maybe UT99 can support the idea...but it need to be discussed with the staff. If you got further idea's let us know
Acid.OMG
Adept

Post by Acid.OMG »

well i am planning on making a website support would be great i am hoping to get some popular clans and community for our sponsors (dont need to pay anything)

like RoseannsBum, UT99.org, {WINGS} Clan, {HoF} Clan, BeyondUnreal, ect...

but if anyone wants to hlep spread the word or make logos anything is fine
[/Awesome]
GenMoKai
Godlike

Post by GenMoKai »

lauren
Skilled

Post by lauren »

Epic games probably cant make probbably make stuff as some ut players now because epic games have had no experience with ut in ages
LT
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

Neat, had this idea once.

There are only 2 things that epic could do and make sense.
1. Fix all the bugs, update the engine and editor a little bit and release a final patch.
2. Release the game for free. We'd get a few million players :)

Edit: My 2. idea isn't 100% impossible. Releasing Unreal Tournament 99 is one of the biggest and cheapest advertising campaign for Epic that they could make. Millions of players would be attracted to the world of unreal, they'd get much more profit than they are now, and by releasing Unreal Engine 1 editing tools they don't reveal the top-notch technology to rivals anymore.
Last edited by Myth on Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lauren
Skilled

Post by lauren »

Myth wrote:Neat, had this idea once.
Release the game for free. We'd get a few million players :)
Epic games couldent do this they r still making money out of this game (especially from idiots like me (who break there own disk twice ))
LT
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Acid.OMG wrote: like wouldn't u like it if they made their own clean version of maps like $ or made some maps for monsterhunt
About this, you have a very wrong idea of Epic maps, just look at DM-Deck16, it has more errors than a noob mapper like me could do by mistake. Even Deck16 has choppy walls, if you don't believe it, just go to the Redeemer spot, then look at the ramps with different angles, you will see some HOMs for sure. You have Coret too, and I saw a HOM in CTF-Face once too, so the maps thing just don't make any sense.

About the other ideas, they would be very very good, but, Epic won't do that, they are even developing Unreal Engine 4 now, so they won't take their time doing those and negociate with the mod owners.

I think a kickass idea would be al the community do like a big pack with all those mods to install in UT, plus, Epic could do the next:
Myth wrote:Neat, had this idea once.

There are only 2 things that epic could do and make sense.
1. Fix all the bugs, update the engine and editor a little bit and release a final patch.
2. Release the game for free. We'd get a few million players :)
But we have to convince Epic to do it, not 2. (because Epic wants $$), but the 1. they could consider. Or maybe not doing 1., but doing 2. and release the 436 source code and the Editor source code as well, and us the community could fix those as well.
Acid.OMG
Adept

Post by Acid.OMG »

myth has actually a more sensible request to make a final patch fixing everyhting.... as for "Feralidragon" your completely right i just remmeber how face has a invisible floor on the one edge of the cliff in the middle of the map =P
[/Awesome]
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

I'm in contact with Celtic Warriors clan leader Diehard-the creator of UTRP. We could probably convince Epic to do lightmaps (or whatever the hell it's called-I never edited ANYTHING before) for his textures so that everything is bump-mapped as well as redo the textures on the weapons and add dynamic shadows. I think that would give UT99 a HUGE face-lift. Somebody needs to set up a petition once we figure out exactly what we want Epic to do. I say re-release the game as "Unreal Tournament Classic", "New Unreal Tournament", "Unrealized Tournament" or something like that with the original blue box art with the trophy (possibly slightly tarnished with blood on it), updated visuals, 100% compatibility with standard UT99, an improved editor, Jailbreak III (This mod was made by GT interactive I believe so they shouldn't have a lot of problems getting the rights to it), possibly buy Tactical Ops:AoT IP (which was at one point the most played gametype in UT before it went retail) off of soon-to-be-dead Atari and bundle the retail version of it with UT, create new OpenGL and Direct3D renderers, create new sound drivers (preferably an Open AL one that won't crash) with 7.1 audio support, and finally release a patch that makes servers accept S3TC and the new sound drivers. After doing all of that, put it on store shelves and ADVERTISE THE SHIT OUT OF IT.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Lee_Stricklin wrote:I'm in contact with Celtic Warriors clan leader Diehard-the creator of UTRP. We could probably convince Epic to do lightmaps (or whatever the hell it's called-I never edited ANYTHING before) for his textures so that everything is bump-mapped as well as redo the textures on the weapons and add dynamic shadows. I think that would give UT99 a HUGE face-lift. Somebody needs to set up a petition once we figure out exactly what we want Epic to do. I say re-release the game as "Unreal Tournament Classic", "New Unreal Tournament", "Unrealized Tournament" or something like that with the original blue box art with the trophy (possibly slightly tarnished with blood on it), updated visuals, 100% compatibility with standard UT99, an improved editor, Jailbreak III (This mod was made by GT interactive I believe so they shouldn't have a lot of problems getting the rights to it), possibly buy Tactical Ops:AoT IP (which was at one point the most played gametype in UT before it went retail) off of soon-to-be-dead Atari and bundle the retail version of it with UT, create new OpenGL and Direct3D renderers, create new sound drivers (preferably an Open AL one that won't crash) with 7.1 audio support, and finally release a patch that makes servers accept S3TC and the new sound drivers. After doing all of that, put it on store shelves and ADVERTISE THE SHIT OUT OF IT.
Yeah, that's good, that and finish all the stuff that is incomplete in UT, like the distance fog, lensflares, weapon carrier nalis and other stuff the Epic let incomplete or broken.