Windows 10 Mouse feels crap in UT99

Discussions about UT99
nircc
Average

Windows 10 Mouse feels crap in UT99

Post by nircc »

Ok.
im trying to find my old "AIM" Settings for tactical ops (which is exactly like UT99 in the ini files/engine)

anyway . i was sure its something related to the INI's themselfs
and i tried so many in the last few days

but now im pretty sure its windows 10
the mouse just feels crap ingame and outside of it
even with markc fix

im using EC2-A 400DPI

and aiming in tactical ops is shitty and im sure its mouse related

any ideas what can solve this ? - installing XP is out of the question .
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Re: Windows 10 Mouse feels crap in UT99

Post by Carbon »

Mouse smoothing is off? Try disabling Direct Input?

Not sure otherwise. Win 7 here.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

ut99 is the only versions of Unreal & UT that kept working fine after I got Windows 10.

I didn't notice much in the way of mouse issues, nothing that wasn't easily fixed just being in-game and looking under properties.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
nircc
Average

Post by nircc »

mouse smoothing is off
are you sure i need to disable direct input?

i was pretty sure its disabling accel
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

No, not sure, just suggesting. Try it...nothing to lose...if it doesn't work, click it back on. Hope it ends well.
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

nircc wrote:mouse smoothing is off

If you play with direct input off, enhanced pointer precision turns it's self on when ut is running. If you look though the files of the markc mouse fixes, you will find a .exe that shows the current hz, mouse movement, pointer movement, and enhanced pointer precision details.

nircc
Average

Post by nircc »

UT Sniper (SJA94) wrote:
nircc wrote:mouse smoothing is off

If you play with direct input off, enhanced pointer precision turns it's self on when ut is running. If you look though the files of the markc mouse fixes, you will find a .exe that shows the current hz, mouse movement, pointer movement, and enhanced pointer precision details.

hey
i know about that
and let me explain my case better now
if i use Direct input and markc fix - i dont get any colors in that software which means the accel is gone right?
but in UT the mouse still feels not "smoot" as it used to be

so now i tried something else you guys suggest me in the other thread
i disabled Direct Input and ran Rinput software

and the mouse work perfect !

now my only question is - do i haveto re run Rinput every time i play TacticalOps?
is there a way to make it run automaticly?

are there any other ini commands that might effect mouse input lag? like AA and such ?

thanks
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Even the choice of renderer can upset timing.
Often the CPU speed difference between installing and playing has random speed problems which can include laggy mouse or game.

Is your mouse wireless ?
Does it have it's own DPI button ?
Is it sharing a USB port ?
If your CPU changes speed, was it busy (100%) or locked at full speed during install ?
Are you using the original DirectX5 renderer, the original half finished OpenGL, Software or a current DX9 or DX10 renderer ?

NOTE: a fresh Windows 10 does not have the full DirectX hardware support for below DX10.
You must install the full final DX9 distro to regain HW support for DX9 and lower.

DEP causes havoc with old 32 bit software in newer Windows, so UT and UEd should be excluded from DEP,
nircc
Average

Post by nircc »

Dr.Flay wrote:Even the choice of renderer can upset timing.
Often the CPU speed difference between installing and playing has random speed problems which can include laggy mouse or game.

Is your mouse wireless ?
Does it have it's own DPI button ?
Is it sharing a USB port ?
If your CPU changes speed, was it busy (100%) or locked at full speed during install ?
Are you using the original DirectX5 renderer, the original half finished OpenGL, Software or a current DX9 or DX10 renderer ?

NOTE: a fresh Windows 10 does not have the full DirectX hardware support for below DX10.
You must install the full final DX9 distro to regain HW support for DX9 and lower.

DEP causes havoc with old 32 bit software in newer Windows, so UT and UEd should be excluded from DEP,
wooo
thanks for the info . lets see if i can give u the right answers
regarding the cpu - i tried that "cpu command" that u put in the game shortcut and i got banned for 20 days "speed hack" or something like that - the Anti cheat program thinks its a hack for some reason

nvm - i got a new key file so i dont have a ban.

my mouse is the EC2-A which is wire
im using 1000hz and 400 dpi and i can change both of them pretty easy. and yes it got its own DPI button
is it sharing usb ?> how i check that?
not sure as well about the cpu speed - i never tested it . let me know how and ill report back :)
regarding the direct x and open gl

i never installed Direct X in win 10 - which one i need to install ? DX9 ?
im using the latest OpenGL.dll file from the opengl website

no idea whats that DEP u talk about ...

all i know and i hope its helpful
is that when i had Deathadder 450dpi / 1000hz long ago
i used Windows XP 64 BIT
i ran TacticalOps with a UT99 Ini ( i still got that ini)
i disabled accel using cheese fix or something like that
i disabled all mouse settings besides Direct Input
i used 1.20 Sens in game

and i was a fucking beast- the mouse felt perfect and so LIGHT in game that it was easy to AIM people and if someone came behind me i had easy time to turn back and kick hes ass
it was so easy to aim man that when we had "clanwars" and lets say i was 1x1 and needed to win the round
i told my clan mates in TS that im gonna kill this guy with Deagle(7 bullets 1bullet per shot so u need to be super precise) with 2 hs < < <
and i fucking did it < < i was so good with Deagle that i played games only using that weapon when people rush me with MP5 and such...

so i must say - even with Rinput the mouse in game dont feel the same as i remeber it from my old days

maybe its because i had a much older PC?
maybe its WinXp?

i have no fucking idea what to do...
all i can say its that its not feels the same for sure !
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

nircc wrote: wooo
regarding the cpu - i tried that "cpu command" that u put in the game shortcut and i got banned for 20 days "speed hack" or something like that - the Anti cheat program thinks its a hack for some reason

Change the power setting in the control panel to High Performance, this will keep your cpu at it's stock speed, and not reduce the clock speed to save power. Turbo boost still has it's effect, if your cpu supports it. This has helped me reduce the annoying stutters I occasionally get while playing games.
nircc
Average

Post by nircc »

UT Sniper (SJA94) wrote:
nircc wrote: wooo

Change the power setting in the control panel to High Performance, this will keep your cpu at it's stock speed, and not reduce the clock speed to save power. Turbo boost still has it's effect, if your cpu supports it. This has helped me reduce the annoying stutters I occasionally get while playing games.
i always do this when i install an OS
so its not the case i guess :p
but thanks
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

First,
:wth: please stop swearing, this site does not have an age limit, and many children play Unreal and UT. Both games can be played with no blood and gore, and are becoming more of a family game since us old farts get our kids into it.
We do not want the search engines to decide this is an adult site.
However we don't mind if you self-censor so people still get it, eg. "You mother-f**king tw*t spangler !"
You can be as creative as you like.

Only an idiot admin would ban people for using a standard method of launching UT at the correct speed, especially when so many people have no choice.
All you can do is tell them to sort their sh*t out, or don't play there.
It would be safe to assume the same servers have probably not white-listed the new video and audio renderers either, so you will be forced into a time-warp of yesteryear.

I guess I should copy my guide to this site at some point too.
https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournam ... w-hardware
http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/unre ... -f104.html
Since Windows Vista, a fresh Windows does not have the complete DirectX support.
It is common for games and some software software to update DirectX during a full install so you may have installed some of it already.
To fully support DirectX 7, 8 and 9 you will need to use the "DirectX End-User Runtime", to install the missing files.
DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) http://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=8109 (95.6 MB)

Since Vista, newer Windows security can block UT99 and UEd2 from functioning properly, especially if you install into the regular "Program Files" folder.
You should install UT to another location eg. "D:/UnrealTournament" and exclude the game and editor from "Data Execution Prevention (DEP)"
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ngs?SignedIn=1
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/disable...prevention.htm
It does seem like you are using the original DX5- 7 renderer on your DX12 Windows, so yes you could do with better renderers.
http://www.oldunreal.com/utpatches.html
OMP0.99b-UT436-UT451 has a complete set of recent Video and audio updates and should be used as your base update, then visit the forum threads for the latest versions.
Video http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=2
Audio http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/ ... 1399614690

There are renderers made for DX10 and 11.
These do allow extra features to be used, but no projects have so you gain a compatible but slower renderer (DX9 and new OpenGL are the fastest).

A 4 port hub will allow 4 devices to share 1 USB socket. If your mouse is plugged directly into the PC, it is not sharing a port.
USB devices that send constant data (Wifi dongle or external HD) can saturate a port with lots of requests/interrupts. This can slow the response of other devices on the same socket.

Wired mouse. Good choice.
I do remember having problems with Logitech mice years ago because of their own mouse acceleration which had to be disabled.
Did you try changing the DPI on the mouse, and matching the new sensitivity in UT and Windows ?
My current mouse always starts at medium setting and I have to change down to play UT. Medium DPI setting on a modern mouse is higher than most mice with no settings.
My old wired mouse is perfect as you start at low DPI and can choose to go up to medium and high.
My new mouse gets twitchy on certain surfaces when the DPI is medium or high, but is smooth when set to low, then made more sensitive in Windows instead.

Change the Windows power profile to maximum always on settings, and the CPU will stay at full speed.
This is only an issue during installing UT because it records the speed it sees at that point, and while you play a game the CPU will always go to full speed any way.
Using the standard -CPU=xxxx is the standard fix/workaround.

There are some other builds of the main EXE that stop UT from changing cores, but this does not seem like it is a problem for you, as that generates stalls, stutters and random game speed, just like remembering the wrong speed does.
Your problem is all timing based, and is why people first say to try disabling Direct Input.
On some setups changing the screen vertical sync settings on or off can make a difference, and I know of people that solved their lagging problems by simply plugging in a CRT monitor and using that.

Win 10 is showing this mouse problem more than previous versions, and as yet I have not seen a solution that fixes it for everyone :(
It may require that we all keep our eyes open and collate everything into a Windows 10 tips thread. We may then see a pattern emerge.
nircc
Average

Post by nircc »

Dr.Flay wrote:First,
:wth: please stop swearing, this site does not have an age limit, and many children play Unreal and UT. Both games can be played with no blood and gore, and are becoming more of a family game since us old farts get our kids into it.
We do not want the search engines to decide this is an adult site.
However we don't mind if you self-censor so people still get it, eg. "You mother-f**king tw*t spangler !"
You can be as creative as you like.

Only an idiot admin would ban people for using a standard method of launching UT at the correct speed, especially when so many people have no choice.
All you can do is tell them to sort their sh*t out, or don't play there.
It would be safe to assume the same servers have probably not white-listed the new video and audio renderers either, so you will be forced into a time-warp of yesteryear.

I guess I should copy my guide to this site at some point too.
https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournam ... w-hardware
http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/unre ... -f104.html
Since Windows Vista, a fresh Windows does not have the complete DirectX support.
It is common for games and some software software to update DirectX during a full install so you may have installed some of it already.
To fully support DirectX 7, 8 and 9 you will need to use the "DirectX End-User Runtime", to install the missing files.
DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) http://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=8109 (95.6 MB)

Since Vista, newer Windows security can block UT99 and UEd2 from functioning properly, especially if you install into the regular "Program Files" folder.
You should install UT to another location eg. "D:/UnrealTournament" and exclude the game and editor from "Data Execution Prevention (DEP)"
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ngs?SignedIn=1
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/disable...prevention.htm
It does seem like you are using the original DX5- 7 renderer on your DX12 Windows, so yes you could do with better renderers.
http://www.oldunreal.com/utpatches.html
OMP0.99b-UT436-UT451 has a complete set of recent Video and audio updates and should be used as your base update, then visit the forum threads for the latest versions.
Video http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=2
Audio http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/ ... 1399614690

There are renderers made for DX10 and 11.
These do allow extra features to be used, but no projects have so you gain a compatible but slower renderer (DX9 and new OpenGL are the fastest).

A 4 port hub will allow 4 devices to share 1 USB socket. If your mouse is plugged directly into the PC, it is not sharing a port.
USB devices that send constant data (Wifi dongle or external HD) can saturate a port with lots of requests/interrupts. This can slow the response of other devices on the same socket.

Wired mouse. Good choice.
I do remember having problems with Logitech mice years ago because of their own mouse acceleration which had to be disabled.
Did you try changing the DPI on the mouse, and matching the new sensitivity in UT and Windows ?
My current mouse always starts at medium setting and I have to change down to play UT. Medium DPI setting on a modern mouse is higher than most mice with no settings.
My old wired mouse is perfect as you start at low DPI and can choose to go up to medium and high.
My new mouse gets twitchy on certain surfaces when the DPI is medium or high, but is smooth when set to low, then made more sensitive in Windows instead.

Change the Windows power profile to maximum always on settings, and the CPU will stay at full speed.
This is only an issue during installing UT because it records the speed it sees at that point, and while you play a game the CPU will always go to full speed any way.
Using the standard -CPU=xxxx is the standard fix/workaround.

There are some other builds of the main EXE that stop UT from changing cores, but this does not seem like it is a problem for you, as that generates stalls, stutters and random game speed, just like remembering the wrong speed does.
Your problem is all timing based, and is why people first say to try disabling Direct Input.
On some setups changing the screen vertical sync settings on or off can make a difference, and I know of people that solved their lagging problems by simply plugging in a CRT monitor and using that.

Win 10 is showing this mouse problem more than previous versions, and as yet I have not seen a solution that fixes it for everyone :(
It may require that we all keep our eyes open and collate everything into a Windows 10 tips thread. We may then see a pattern emerge.
Hey
thanks for the amazing comment :D

sadly i think i mislead u guys - im playing TacticalOps which is basicly a mod from UT99 so its using the same ini , same files , same commands and such.

i installed the DX and added the game to the DEP thingy

i will keep test and check things out.

*** MERGED *** by Dr.Flay

hey agian
i've no idea whats happend after i installed the DX from microsoft
but after that the game takes longer to launch
and slower
and when it does - its not in full screen but not in window mode either so u have to tab out and re enter it ...- damm annoying :D

any idea what went wrong ?
Last edited by Dr.Flay on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merged posts
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Can you please stop double posting??! This is annoying as hell!!
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Some thoughts on quoting would also be nice. ^^
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett