Windows 10 Mouse feels crap in UT99

Discussions about UT99
nircc
Average

Re: Windows 10 Mouse feels crap in UT99

Post by nircc »

papercoffee wrote:Can you please stop double posting??! This is annoying as hell!!
sry :[
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

OK, I merged the posts.

The general idea here is that if nobody else has posted within a day, we prefer if you hit the edit option and continue from the last post.
I usually add

*** EDIT ***

and make it a colour to stand out.
Don't worry you'll get the hang of it.

Quoting is nice and often useful, but if it is one of my trademark epic posts, please just quote relevant sections, or just assume we all know what you are responding to :tu:
Quoting my long posts several times is a great way to bury the posts between them.

Actually I am familiar with TacOps. I have it installed along side Infiltration, Covert Forces and jungle Warefare.
Right, now you have a full DirectX for Windows you need to install and change to 1 of the new UT renderers I mentioned.
You are still using DirectX 7 in UT
If you have ATI or intel graphics, DirectX9 is fastest
and if you have nVidia most people find that OpenGL is fastest.

Edit your TacticalOps.ini to use the renderer of choice.
[Engine.Engine]
GameRenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice
or
GameRenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice

At the top of this site you will see a link to Tweak Your UT Graphics To The Maximum!
It was written for the previous renderers created by Chris Dohnal, but the new renderers continue from them and have most of the same settings.
Both DirectX and OpenGL start with slightly different defaults, so you will have to tweak until you get the result you like, or is closest to what you are used to.
nircc
Average

Post by nircc »

Dr.Flay wrote:OK, I merged the posts.

The general idea here is that if nobody else has posted within a day, we prefer if you hit the edit option and continue from the last post.
I usually add

*** EDIT ***

and make it a colour to stand out.
Don't worry you'll get the hang of it.

Quoting is nice and often useful, but if it is one of my trademark epic posts, please just quote relevant sections, or just assume we all know what you are responding to :tu:
Quoting my long posts several times is a great way to bury the posts between them.

Actually I am familiar with TacOps. I have it installed along side Infiltration, Covert Forces and jungle Warefare.
Right, now you have a full DirectX for Windows you need to install and change to 1 of the new UT renderers I mentioned.
You are still using DirectX 7 in UT
If you have ATI or intel graphics, DirectX9 is fastest
and if you have nVidia most people find that OpenGL is fastest.

Edit your TacticalOps.ini to use the renderer of choice.
[Engine.Engine]
GameRenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice
or

At the top of this site you will see a link to Tweak Your UT Graphics To The Maximum!
It was written for the previous renderers created by Chris Dohnal, but the new renderers continue from them and have most of the same settings.
Both DirectX and OpenGL start with slightly different defaults, so you will have to tweak until you get the result you like, or is closest to what you are used to.
Hey thanks for answer and ill do my very best to stop with the double posts and such.

im using OpenGL in tacops and it is the fastest and i found the INI's i used to work with , they are old inis for UT99 of a player named Ashes - they made my game work perfect as i remember
the only thing that i've got a problem with now
is that after i installed the DX in windows - Tactical ops now launchs SLOWLy< Its like im using "d3d" as a render but i can see its on OpenGL .
and when the game launch's the screen is not full screen(even that its on TRUE in ini) - but its also not a "window mode" its like a combo of fullscreen/window mode
so in order to fix that and be able to see the whole menus and such i need to press the window's key in the keyboard which minimize the game
then i press the icon again and it goes back (slowly) but in full screen and i can play.

b4 i installed the DX in windows the game launchs perfectly and very quick.

so im not sure what went wrong and how to fix it

thanks.
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

I have a sort of same problem but so bad you have.
If i startup ut99 the mouse sometimes freezes in the left upper corner while in ut.
Its the so called mouselag.
But it apears not Always, sometimes i startup ut 99 again and the mouselag is gone without reason.
It is a strange thing mouselags.
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

When you use someone else's ini, you are using whatever mess they have set for their PC hardware and the renderer version they had (which is different from your PC).
You are resetting to someone else's defaults, including all the mods they have (removing reference to ones you may have).
Never use all of someone's ini, just copy the section you need.
Someone that knows what they are doing, will not just give you their config.
Having said that, people should note that TacOps and similar standalone mods are not such a problem, because they should not be referencing any other mods.

So, fine, start with that, but then use the "Tweak Your UT Graphics To The Maximum!" guide to then change those settings for your PC that you own.
The reason you don't know what you are doing, is because you simply copy someone else's settings, rather than edit yours to be like theirs (then you would learn something, and be able to help yourself).

No matter where you got your ini, change the renderer lines and configure the renderer settings for the renderer you now have, not the 1 from 15 years ago.
Old ini settings from years ago, do not have the settings for the new renderers.
If you have not changed any of the renderer settings, then you do not know which is fastest, because each renderer can be optimised to go faster or better looking.
Your comparison currently is OpenGL and DirectX 7 with no changes to settings.
Set 2 renderers from the same branch, to all fast settings then compare.

Does your OpenGL section look like this, or is it smaller ?

Code: Select all

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
UseVSync=False
FrameRateLimit=60
Translucency=False
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=True
FastTranslucency=1
VertexLighting=0
UseTNT=False
Translucency=True
UseVertexSpecular=1
UseTrilinear=True
UseS3TC=True
LODBias=0.000000
MaxAnisotropy=16
SupportsLazyTextures=1
GammaOffset=0.000000
NumAASamples=0
UseAA=False
SwapInterval=-1
UseVertexProgram=False
UseCVA=False
UseMultiDrawArrays=True
UseSSE=True
AAFilterHint=0
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
BufferClippedActorTris=True
SinglePassDetail=True
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=True
UseDetailAlpha=True
NoFiltering=False
UseFilterSGIS=False
Use4444Textures=False
UseAlphaPalette=False
UsePrecache=False
AlwaysMipmap=False
ShareLists=False
UseMultiTexture=True
MaskedTextureHack=True
MaxTMUnits=0
ZRangeHack=True
NoAATiles=True
SmoothMaskedTextures=True
SceneNodeHack=True
UseFragmentProgram=False
CacheStaticMaps=True
UseSSE2=True
BufferTileQuads=True
SinglePassFog=True
DetailMax=2
RefreshRate=0
Use16BitTextures=False
UsePalette=False
UseBGRATextures=True
UseZTrick=False
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
OneXBlending=True
GammaCorrectScreenshots=False
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
DescFlags=0
Description=ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series
FullMeshRendering=True
RequestHighResolutionZ=True
NoMaskedS3TC=False
AutoGenerateMipmaps=False
UseHardwareClipping=True
TruFormMinVertices=0
TruFormTessellation=3
UseTruForm=False
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
In your TacOps ini, make your you have OpenGL set for both the game and window renderer. You will notice the Windowed renderer is being used when the game first opens, and you still have either Software or D3D set. This is also the renderer used when you open the player and bot selection windows.
I should have remembered WindowedRenderDevice, sorry.
[Engine.Engine]
WindowedRenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice

Currently your windowed mode is using whatever settings are under these sections.
[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
[SoftDrv.SoftwareRenderDevice]
[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
They should all be edited to suit your needs.

You obviously don't like manual editing so I will teach you something that works in all Unreal engine games.
Either open the console from the main menu (if available), or hit the key for the quick console (usually TAB or the key above it, but you can look in your keymap config).
In the console, type the command "preferences", and you should see the advanced options window open.
In there you can find many of the various sections of the ini, and edit them with ease.

You should also install "AdvSetGUI" for easy editing
https://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=6393
This gives you a handy menu item to change all the advanced settings of the new video and audio renderers.

Tip: if you are happy with your settings in normal UT, then copy those renderer settings over the ones in TacOps.
Simple.

On a modern PC you should be able to have a fast game with all high quality settings, so it shouldn't be a matter of switching off all the good stuff.
Something here is just wrong at the moment. We'll get there.
nircc
Average

Post by nircc »

*** Removed excessive Quote. Not needed *** by Dr.Flay

hey
i have followed the UT tweak ur graphics thread long ago already
and im using someone elses ini because some ini's does feel better/diffrenet
but i agree that i should make my own ini that would fit my own pc .

anyway the problem i have still here...
maybe you can come to skype or something like that so u can remote/watch my pc and see the problem im talking about in live

because the inis are perfectly fine . the problem i have happened after i installed DX from microsoft.
the AIM/Mouse still feel off - but i guess thats W10 and ill have to deal with it...
unless i want to install XP - which i probably wont because its too old
Last edited by Dr.Flay on Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quote to save space
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

nirrc, please stop quoting whole large posts, unless the post is not visible.
We can all follow the conversation without it repeating.
Any reply to a specific post can be done by just mentioning the name of the person you are talking to.

I do have skype, but I tend to use video as a last resort or with family.
Hmm, so you already have the windowed renderer set to this ? (nobody else has ever included it in a guide)
WindowedRenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice
Can you paste your ini here using the "Code" button so it is contained in a smaller box, or zip your TacOps ini and attach to a post.
This is the most common and quick way we can all look for the problem :tu:

The tweaking guide does not cover configuration of the window or software renderer. It only tells you about DX9 and OpenGL settings.
One thing I notice in Raynors guide is that the line in the Windowed config is set to slow buffering
SlowVideoBuffering=True
It can be changed to
SlowVideoBuffering=False

If as you say, everything is already using the newest OpenGL renderers for all of UT, then you are not using any version of DirectX.
But if the installation of a full DirectX has changed things, then I would say you must be still using DirectX somewhere, and not OpenGL
Something does not add-up here.
Make sure the main UT ini is also using GL for windows and fullscreen.

Questions
1) What is your GFX chip/card ?
2) What is the motherboard chipset, and have you updated it ? (PCWizard will show the manufacturer info)
3) Does the AdvGUI addon work for you ? (it even tells you what all the functions do)

I have 2 main PCs, both different eras, both with ATI cards.
The UT config from my old XP box is not set the same as the Win7 box, because the cards behave differently even with the same settings.
1 config does not fit all, even on GFX cards by the same manufacturer.

One thing I have seen a few times on new setups, is slow graphics performance if the DirectX update is done after the GFX drivers are installed.
It could be worth checking for the newest GFX driver and updating, or use the last installer again.
During install of a new Windows I do the DirectX update before installing video and audio drivers, because they communicate via the DX layer I want it all there first.
This makes sure that every option the driver has with your PC should be available during install.
eg. Without having DX9, has your GFX driver actually installed any HW support for it, or was it skipped ?
Updating/reinstalling the GFX driver can't hurt so may be the first thing to try.

The built-in DX diagnostics, may show something is obviously wrong.
Type "dxdiag" in the Windows run box or a Command prompt.
You can test the HW and SW DirectX functionality of the different versions, and it should show if something is disabled.
Sometimes disabling all the DX HW functions, then re-enabling them after a reboot will kick things back in.

A couple of handy mini OpenGL info tools
http://www.ozone3d.net/gpu_caps_viewer/
http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/
nircc
Average

Post by nircc »

hey
ok lets start with me saying sry for qouting :o

now im pretty sure its not an INI problem that i have because -

1.i tried many inis , both for UT99/TacOps and they all get the same issue with slow loding
2.the problem came after adding the game to DEP list and installing DX - i removed the DEP and still got the problem - also felt nothing changed aim wise when i added the game to the DEP :o
3.i updated my GFX driver and still got the problem...

im using a Gigabyte GTX980 TI Gaming Edition
I7-4790K 4.7GHZ and ASUS Z79 VII HERO Motherboard
DXDIAG - shows that i have DIRECTX12 installed .

i checked the Window Render and its on OpenGL-also changed SlowvideoBuffer from true to false and nothing changed. as i said i tried many inis so im not sure its the problem here. - but maybe i miss something :o who knows ?
i also downloaded the latest OPENGL.dll file - still nothing changed.

the AdvGUI works but im not sure what you mean by "it even tells you what all the functions do" because its not - i can just change the functions but got no idea what each does - (some i do )

i agree that each PC works diffrent with each INI -
as i remember it , i had an old PC once with gt9500 and i used one of the old UT99 Ini's combined with a deathadder and windows XP- tthe game worked so great that my aim got better drasticly

right now - you can see im using a much better PC with WIN10 but the game feels so off compared to what it used to be - im pretty sure its Win10 fault- but now that i think about it . even when i had win7 - things felt wierd.

maybe its the fact that im using diffrent hardware?

the reason im trying many inis is because when i did it last time (7-8years ago) - i found a damm good ini that actually made me better in game...- easier to aim means i got more time to focus on Sound/Footsteps/Cover my teammates and such

right now im in a problem that i do hit good but not good compared to old pc - the Deagle weapon i mentioned few posts ago shots 1 bullet and its very precise - and it was the weapon i was best with - and now ? i cant hit no matter how hard i try...

maybe im overthinking about the ini's maybe its a matter of finding the best "sens" and practice? - no idea :<

hope we can solve the slow launch im talking about and also figure up some solution for the bad aim - I DONT MIND INSTALLING XP im just not sure if the hardware i have supported by XP at all

regarding skype - i offered that because we can talk/write and also i can "share my screen" with you and show u the problem im talking about. which might be the best way to explain it

rjmno1
Masterful

Post by rjmno1 »

@dr flay ,it was indeed a copy settings from ut.ini from this forum.
I will try those new settings from you. :tu:
Thanks in advanced.
i copied the ini section of the opengl driver and the mouselag is gone,and maby forever ill hope
thank you for that.
@nirc windows 7 or win 8 and windows 10 comes with a shitload of blauthware also.
The so called streamlined windows xp is much smaller and maby bether suited for ut 99.
but its eol and evrybody wants the new windows version.
editing becouse of the double post. :tu:

rjmno1
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Damn Windows 10 for being so random.
I don't understand how having a complete DirectX can now be such a ball-ache.... especially as you aren't even using it !! :omfg:
Well at least my ini entry for GL fixed your problem rjmno1 ! :highfive:

... umm, but I didn't post it because it is optimised, just to show how long the modern config has grown to. The original entry is much smaller.
I actually use Direct X 9, as I have an ATI card, so only use the GL renderer for UEd.
That way I can have DX looking funky for play, and GL looking more basic. That config is
If I were to play with GL, there are a few of those settings I would switch back on, and some off (especially as I just spotted a duplicate with opposite settings).
Perhaps the most notable difference in my config to other peoples, is that I always leave the screen refresh rate set at 0, so it "should" inherit the current monitor speed.
I see some of my Min and Max values also need changing (eg. Min/MaxTMUnits). You can look in your UT log to see what functions and values your card will do, then set your own values.

Note: once you open/edit the renderer configs via the built-in advanced window, it will add any missing entries and ignore any lines that no longer do anything.

OK nircc, you have nVidia so OpenGL is your ideal solution, and the MoBo seems to have an all intel chipset system, so you will be notified of new updates via Windows Update.
It is possible that the intel driver from intel is newer, but I doubt that will change anything.

Q: Did you do the tests in the DXDiag and did the rendering of any of the cubes seem slow ?
It is the DirectX 7 test I am most curious about.

Q: Which OpenGL renderer are you using ?
I am wondering if the XOpenGL beta for newer cards may be worth trying
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/ ... 1453909937

Oh, I thought AdvGUI showed an info-tip when you hover over the items, or showed it in the bottom bar of the window, but I could well be imagining things.
The various renderer settings are listed and explained in the OldUnreal wiki
http://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.php ... 3D8_/_D3D9

I would like to see a copy of your ini and a log file.
I am going to reinstall TacOps, but I think it uses the main UT ini for its settings.
nircc
Average

Post by nircc »

hey @dr.flay
something is fucked up .
when i enter DXDIAG i dont have the "test" button.

this is my opengl settings -

Code: Select all

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
FrameRateLimit=0
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=False
ShinySurfaces=False
Coronas=False
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=False
UseBGRATextures=True
UseAA=False
UseSSE=True
UseTexIdPool=True
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
UseTexPool=True
SwapInterval=0
OneXBlending=True
TruFormMinVertices=0
TruFormTessellation=3
UseTruForm=False
NumAASamples=0
RequestHighResolutionZ=True
UseVertexProgram=False
UseCVA=False
UseMultiDrawArrays=False
AAFilterHint=0
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
BufferClippedActorTris=False
SinglePassDetail=False
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=False
UseDetailAlpha=True
RefreshRate=0
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
UseFilterSGIS=False
MaxAnisotropy=0
UseTNT=False
Use4444Textures=False
UseS3TC=False
UseAlphaPalette=False
AutoGenerateMipmaps=False
UseTrilinear=False
UsePrecache=False
AlwaysMipmap=True
ShareLists=False
UsePalette=True
UseMultiTexture=True
UseZTrick=False
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
GammaCorrectScreenshots=True
GammaOffset=0.500000
LODBias=1.000000
DescFlags=0
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
Description=RADEON 9800 SERIES
ZRangeHack=False
NoAATiles=False
MaskedTextureHack=True
SmoothMaskedTextures=False
UseFragmentProgram=False
CacheStaticMaps=False
UseSSE2=True
BufferTileQuads=False
SinglePassFog=False
DetailMax=0
NoMaskedS3TC=False
Use16BitTextures=False
my drivers are all up to date-
windows update messed up as well - it tells me that i dont have any updates which is wierd because last time i updated was like 3months ago ?
im starting to think about going back to XP but im not sure how my hardware gonna work on that old OS - so far i really enjoy WIN10 - its fast and OS loads in a matter of seconds.

*EDIT*- The ini im using is another random UT99 ini i wanted to try out .

*EDIT 2*-i have the XL2420G 144HZ Gsync monitor - so im using RIVATUNER to limit my FPS to 143
and each game i play i put framelimits to 0 to get 142-144hz locked - just incase you need to know that or something like that :p
Last edited by nircc on Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Sorry to jump on the rule-wagon, but it seems the rules need to be re-explained.

Language options:

messed up
not working
still broken
problematic
troublesome

http://www.thesaurus.com/
nircc
Average

Post by nircc »

Carbon wrote:Sorry to jump on the rule-wagon, but it seems the rules need to be re-explained.

Language options:

messed up
not working
still broken
problematic
troublesome

http://www.thesaurus.com/
np :)
edited the post , thanks.

EDIT hey @dr.flay
im thinking about installing xp again.
what do i need to do /get b4 installing and after to make sure evrything is good?
cheese/anirs fix,drivers,i also heard something about make the game use only 1 core?
rjmno1
Masterful

Post by rjmno1 »

windows 10 comes with direct x 12 wich we dont need to have for playing ut99
Ut 99 need only directx 7 i tought.
That in combination with win xp or older will do the trick and maby ut 99 will be fast again i think.
Becouse it was orginali written for windows 98 or win 2000 back in those days.
That in combination with 2 gb of memmory will do the trick for ut 99.
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
nircc
Average

Post by nircc »

rjmno1 wrote:windows 10 comes with direct x 12 wich we dont need to have for playing ut99
Ut 99 need only directx 7 i tought.
That in combination with win xp or older will do the trick and maby ut 99 will be fast again i think.
Becouse it was orginali written for windows 98 or win 2000 back in those days.
That in combination with 2 gb of memmory will do the trick for ut 99.
dude i got 16gb ram
a gpu with 6gb vram
i7 4790k 4.7ghz...

i can install xp again but can i config ut/To to work with ny hardware?