HUD Option "Use Team Color in Team Games" autom. deactivated

Discussions about UT99
Aldebaran
Masterful

HUD Option "Use Team Color in Team Games" autom. deactivated

Post by Aldebaran »

Something strange happens sometimes, I can't really reproduce when exactly...
The HUD Option "Use Team Color in Team Games" in UT99 Menu is suddenly deactivated.
But I need this option be activated because I am playing mostly Team Games like CTF and I often playing then by thinking of be in the one team (because my HUD has the color of it) but really i am in the other. So I shoot my teammates :-)

Sometimes I play Monsterhunt too. So I thought it happens after using a Monsterhunt server (no teamgame?).
But bit by bit I come to the conclusion it's not their fault allone...

Does somebody know what can be the reason for this? Can I deactivate the automatically change of the option?
Is there a keybind that i can use for it? Or does some admins kidding me? :shock:
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: HUD Option "Use Team Color in Team Games" autom. deactiv

Post by EvilGrins »

This is a guess, as I'm not home, but try this:
1) Go to Options.
2) Click the HUD tab.
3) ...well, at this point you're on your own. It should be in there somewhere.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

EvilGrins wrote:1) Go to Options.
2) Click the HUD tab.
Yes, I know this option. The problem is that I have to change the option back very often and often I am playing Team Games and don't know that this option was deactivated automatically.
So manually reactivating and have a look for it after every server join is not a good solution for me...
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

To the best of my knowledge there's no automatic way to switch it. It's gotta be done manually... so if it's not on now, you've must've hit something.

Don't see how being on any server could've just switched this... but if that's the case and it's such a bother for you, don't goto that server again.

I'll try to remember to get back to this tonight when I'm able to access my UT. Maybe there's a way to keybind the option.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I notice a little similar bug ...and I don't get why this is happening.
If I choose for my skin (Skrilax) team colour green or gold and I run a CTF match (set on random bots) I'm spawning as blue in the red base for the first time the match started. And I'm getting confused 'cause "my team" is attacking me.

:noidea
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Aldebaran wrote:So I thought it happens after using a Monsterhunt server (no teamgame?).
Usually in MonsterHunt all players are forced to be in team 0 (red). It can be changed to have more than one team with the consequence that not only monsters are enemies but human or bot player of other team(s) also.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Have you tried to keep your INI files Read-Only ?
Aside, in Team-Games practiced with teams-balancing at a moment you might not figure when you have been moved from initial team.

Once I was playing in a server with very good players. I was playing on Blue, I did a bad game But I won - some mutator for balancing team suddenly has moved me in Red. Then game has been ended - losing that match, I won because mutator was soooo cute with me :rock: dropping me in the winners team. So I'm winner even if I'm losing (color included).

But deactivating HUD color sounds bad, something somewhere where you were playing is screwing your setup. If you don't like to permanent edit things, make a BAT file shortcut near real shortcut. In BAT file you might restore your ini-s to their initial state - only if bad things happens, else you can use default shortcut all the time.
Try to find server bugging you and write some info here... we need to know who is messing around. I found one removing dodge option a couple of years ago...
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Adept

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} »

sektor2111 wrote: I found one removing dodge option a couple of years ago...
This happened to me a week ago while helping Evil find some cute things on a sniper server. Good thing I have a backup User.ini
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Keybinding is eluding me... so far. Thus, back to basics:
Image Image
Yeah, you can click that Use Team Color In Game or just hit Reset. Either changes that highlighted bit in User.ini right there.

Reset is the better way to go, as it bypasses your need to have a backup User.ini and you can do it in-game. Reset draws from DefUser.ini so whatever's in there is what happens when you hit the Reset.

Personally I rewrote my own DefUser so after others played on my system I could just hit Reset to restore my own keybinds and control settings.
papercoffee wrote:And I'm getting confused 'cause "my team" is attacking me.
There is an ancient military strategy for handling such situations. It's called running away.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Exactly this is THE problem. So do we need all the time to click on display settings because some server is bugging setting ? NO, once having a BAT file for recovering data, a double click on it will fire a game ready to play, no setup, not modifications, just original state. That reset does not always match all tastes.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote:That reset does not always match all tastes.
True... which is why I mentioned a way he could configure his DefUser so it could fit HIS own tastes.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

sektor2111 wrote:Try to find server bugging you and write some info here...
At this time i am sure that after playing on dU main monsterhunt server my HUD option is automatically disabled. It happens not every time I join the server, but often when i played longer time there.
I am still testing other servers, but till now I found only this server...
I will not exclude that my ut99 installation is buggy but I don't believe in it right now.
Perhaps there is a script installed on the server that need to disable the HUD option to work properly? :omfg:

And the most thing i wonder, why does nobody else has this problem... only me :mad2:
Last edited by Aldebaran on Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Aldebaran wrote:And the most thing i wonder, why does nobody else has this problem... only me :mad2:
Just lucky, I guess.

I've not been playing online much the last few months, but as it's been observed by many in this forum the UT community is shrinking. A lot of folks are playing servers they're familiar with... and while DU is a great source for map downloads, I dunno many here play on their stuff.