Single tap dodge mutator?

Discussions about UT99
Ajora
Novice

Single tap dodge mutator?

Post by Ajora »

I'm editing this post because I wanted to say that I didn't express myself as clearly as I would have liked to in this thread and that I made a couple of mistakes in regards to what I was saying.
Last edited by Ajora on Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Single tap dodge mutator?

Post by OjitroC »

The double tap dodge is no good?
Ajora
Novice

Post by Ajora »

I find it to be clunky and unintuitive. I know I'm not the only person who feels this way.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

It looks like this does what you want - http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... gerv75.zip - haven't tried it though.
Ajora
Novice

Post by Ajora »

I followed the creator's instructions that he posted on ***link removed*** but it doesn't seem to be working at all. Regardless, the mod is supposed to assign directional dodges to numerous keys, rather than being just one universal single tap dodge key.
Last edited by UnrealGGecko on Tue May 17, 2016 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Sorry, but we don't allow links like that.
FXANBSS
Skilled

Post by FXANBSS »

You can't dodge when you have 1 fps, and i have 0 fps almost everyday because of the insanity i play, i need this.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Have just tried it and it does work - it creates new player classes though - this may or may not be problematic. Did you change your player class?

Don't see that it is possible to have just one key for dodging in any direction?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I'm confused why you'd need a special anything to get this, then again I primarily use the keyboard to play. Just a quick double-tap of any movement key makes you dodge/move-fast in said direction.

Given most things on most computers requires a double-tap to get it running, doing the same in UT is really no effort at all.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Ajora
Novice

Post by Ajora »

OjitroC wrote:Have just tried it and it does work - it creates new player classes though - this may or may not be problematic. Did you change your player class?

Don't see that it is possible to have just one key for dodging in any direction?
Was able to get the mod working. Thanks.

The new Unreal Tournament game has a single tap dodge button. It works a lot better than any other dodging method that presently exists.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Ajora wrote:The new Unreal Tournament game has a single tap dodge button.
So... how does that work? I mean, if you hit the single button to dodge... which way do you dodge?

1 button kinda implies you would always dodge in the same direction, which isn't much of a dodge as it would be easy to anticipate.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Ajora
Novice

Post by Ajora »

You simply dodge in whichever direction you're already moving. It's amazing and everybody loves it.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I don't know ...where is the challenge in just hitting one button? And where is the simplicity ...an additional button for a simple task, where a double tap is more then enough and efficient. Or is it because, to use a separate button is more convenient for a lazy brain to handle?
And there is always the question how it could be prevented from exploits. Why bother to run if you can always use the single dodge button instead? You'll get faster and more unpredictable and harder to hit.

Nah ...I'm not a fan of a single tap dodge.
Ajora
Novice

Post by Ajora »

papercoffee wrote:I don't know ...where is the challenge in just hitting one button? And where is the simplicity ...an additional button for a simple task, where a double tap is more then enough and efficient. Or is it because, to use a separate button is more convenient for a lazy brain to handle?
And there is always the question how it could be prevented from exploits. Why bother to run if you can always use the single dodge button instead? You'll get faster and more unpredictable and harder to hit.

Nah ...I'm not a fan of a single tap dodge.
Doing nothing but dodging actually does slow down your movement. It took me 9.5 seconds to get from one point to the next using only dodges, whereas it took me 7.5 seconds to reach it by only running.

A single tap dodge feature won't increase a player's performance by hardly that much. It just feels so more comfortable and fluid. In the new Unreal Tournament nobody has to use it if they don't want to (you can use old school dodging if you want), but it's almost universally preferred over the older way. The people absolutely love it. And I can say from first hand experience that it's a really fantastic feature, one that should have been thought up a lot sooner.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Ajora wrote:You simply dodge in whichever direction you're already moving. It's amazing and everybody loves it.
So when moving forward you can't dodge sideways?
Ajora
Novice

Post by Ajora »

Try the feature out for yourself with the pre alpha of the new Unreal Tournament. It's absolutely perfect.