Discussions about UT99
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Important info on TeamViewer

Post by JackGriffin »

This isn't getting the news it should:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/06 ... -know-how/

If you use TV then stop immediately. Uninstall it and change the password if you have an account at the website.

Thought you guys ought to know. Miss you all, I'm doing OK. Hope you guys are well.

:waves bye:

-Kel
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Higor
Godlike

Re: Important info on TeamViewer

Post by Higor »

LOL.
Keep .not. firewalling China folks.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Haven't used it since last year. lel.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I don't even know what TeamViewer is.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

My turn.
Last time I was using V7. Since they went over v10 you'll ask Why do I use still v7. It's simple, because they don't have an improved security but they improved CRAP - icon-link to twitter facebook finger up (probably middle finger) - adds type application. For security I did not see too much "extra-activity" while I was running that. The same question: WHY ? Answer is simple:
ALL location using all sort of letters which I cannot read have been blocked by me VIA firewall because I did not see any UT player or UT person coming from those places. If I would meet a guy from CN helping me I would except his(/her?) IP from firewall - that's all. The rest of so called "security" C_l_0_u_d_s_ and so on is a myth for some dudes and I could see such programmers in real life retrieving easier a router password and I won't explain more details just - he worked in some secret services so don't count on security because you don't know what can do an expert which is able to use G_0_0_g_l_3 STILL b/*r*/each and he never mentioned how is doing that. So (middle)FINGER UP for TeamViewer's security.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

papercoffee wrote:I don't even know what TeamViewer is.
Just look at Wiki if you're interested. Also the current matter is already mentioned there.
sektor2111 wrote:I could see such programmers in real life retrieving easier a router password
If you refer to the "http://Router-IP-Adress/rom0"-issue - this is a problem of the router, not of remote access.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Barbie wrote:If you refer to the "http://Router-IP-Adress/rom0"-issue - this is a problem of the router, not of remote access.
I was speaking about what a skilled guy can do IF wants related to MANY "Secured" things, encryption and all sort of funny "protections" announced with whistles and bells for believers. And Yes, HE was accessing the router remotely being at miles away...

Edit:Hey, let me see, I can't wait to see "modern times" of IPV6 what kinda stuff will born :ironic: :rock: being less known in some locations.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

papercoffee wrote:I don't even know what TeamViewer is.
Teamviewer is a remote desktop (VPN) solution with "modern convenient features" (more attack surfaces).
Hamatchi LogMeIn used to be more popular, until it was bought and dropped the free version.

Windows already has a remote desktop system built in using your Microsoft ID, so you can help friends and family with problems conveniently, if they use Windows and have a MS ID.

LogMeIn and TeamViewer use a web portal to administer your account. This means your details are stored in their databases.

A less convenient method is to use old style VNC (Virtual Network Computing) software.
You will need to know your IP addresses, and how to forward ports to the routers.
TightVNC is basic, free, easy and has an android version, so is very convenient for home use as a remote control for your PC.
Leave your PC on at home and you can still use it wherever you go.
http://www.tightvnc.com
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Positive feedback, Doc. I have installed it and simply edited rules for allowing access at Location from a single IP, configuration is easy and it do seems to work properly for my needs, including using HostName. TeamViewer has been uninstalled - Goodbye, TW...
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

TeamViewer does seem to have a rising problem recently, so until they find where the breach is, it is advisable to disconnect any devices in the management console, and make sure it is not auto-running.

TightVNC is satisfyingly plain and old-fashioned, so you are the only person with your details.

Personally I used AndroidVNC since before TightVNC made their app, and still use it.
https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/? ... androidVNC
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... androidVNC
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Te he... Looks like my idea to have unique addresses for remote activity is good after all. After starting TightVNC I used a call VIA NET to host-name not IP. Oh, well... some ninja shortly was showing up (around 10 minutes later) trying an access on 5900 - default port of TightVNC. I believe one thing, important DNS routes might be captured/hacked or whatever, else I cannot explain such a quick reaction to a fresh open service. Some morons which should take security in account I guess are busy with other useless activities than security chapter, I think some "tools" are installed on important machines and this way some "users" get what they want anytime. Who knows how many breaches exist undiscovered yet, and monkeys are clapping hands happily and proud by their security... (which does not exist after all).
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett