A bit of reminiscing...

Discussions about UT99
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

A bit of reminiscing...

Post by Swanky »

A few days back I thought back of all that old stuff I had made about 14, 15 years back. Turned into a goosechase of finding, playing and reevaluating all of my old UT maps. Good thing I had those stored away safely. Had a look at those, damn some of them were ugly, even compared to other maps back in the day. But then again, a lot of those are fond memories or tell good stories, some of which I'd like to share. :)

€ For those who do not have all those maps but want to take a look, you can use this link to moddb here. Alternatively, carbon has put together a mappack which I updated on 06/03/2020 here.Thank you very much! :)

Capture the Flag

CTF-Ajanta (2004)
Not a lot of memories of that one, I do remember the lower base entrances could become campy as hell when carrying the flag, though.
Spoiler
CTF-Emperor (2004)
This one had been done at a time I was generally uncomfortable with doing terrain. Most people at the time were safe for those who could already do modelling. With UT2k4, more and more people could and S'Calain created the terrain for me. Still not using any kind of program to create my own models, such a shame really.
Spoiler
CTF-FoT-Dipolarity (2005)
One of two maps contributed to the first FoT mappack, Flags of Time. With time passing I came to think that this map was too roomey for its own good. Not really liking the layout anymore, either. However, the FoT series proved successful with both players and mappers and the series continued for many mappacks. The very first FoT was a great experience and I am still putting what I learned back then to good use today, especially organizational and problem solving skills.
Spoiler
CTF-FoT-Selket (2008)
2008 was a good year with the release of two extraordinary maps, one being Maris and the other one being Selket, both being distinctive high points in my catalogue. Some people have been complaining on my habit of making maps relatively dark ever since, too. :D Unfortunatly, a lot of other maps had been pulled from FoT5 because of varying reasons, but it all came down to UT's active mapping community slowly eroding. However, if FoT5 was ever any funeral, it was the best way of parting ways (and I really didn't).
Spoiler
CTF-FoT-Tarjas (2004-2005)
Tarjas City had originally been released prior to the release of FoT 1, I had it reworked around 12 times before making a final submit. Learned to do some real beta-testing afterwards. But then again, rendertimes were upwards of 30 minutes per full render, sooo... Still love the vertical base layout.
Spoiler
CTF-SwaVo (2004)
The first of two Volcanomaps this one is the more cramped one favoring the Flak and RocketLauncher. Also one of the few maps I could ever use the BioRifle to some effect.
Spoiler
CTF-SwaVo][ (2005)
Welp, at least I think I had it released in 2005. At the time you needed to run a rig sponsored by NASA according to the nalicity review. Yeah, polycounts were an issue back in the day.
Spoiler
CTF-XC-Peak17 (2012)
My last map safe for the 2015-Narean, I thought to have reached my personal UT limits especially when working in a given timeframe. I really like this map for various reasons such as the different approaches you can take to steal the flag and the variations of the layout with its serious Z-Axis possiblities. This is also a map that I am really content with how the architecture flows.
Spoiler

Deathmatch

DM-1on1-Nano (2004 - must've been a busy year if all those timestamps are correct)
This map came in two flavours - red and blue. The style seemed to inspire a few other mappers to use those textures later on. Other than that, the layout was - again - tiny.
Spoiler

DM-1on1-Rajan (2003)
One of the few egypt maps I did. The layout is supersmall and focuses more on evading with the Shock Rifle being the only hitscan weapon included. A few years later, I think it must've been around 2006 or so I ran across an edited version of that map where an author had replaced the egyptian deco textures with nude pictures for his server. :lol2:
Spoiler
DM-Ajanta (2003 / 2004)
Now I'm pretty sure this one was made back in 2003 when trying to get into the illustrous circle of some of the better (best?) UT mappers at the time. I didn't make the cut but learned a lot of things about mapping, and I would do my own mappack a few years later. Could be considered my first post-rookie map. Still think the music is catchy as hell. :D
Spoiler
DM-AMC-Ars_Indus (2018)
The earliest mention of this map is around 2016 (2nd page this thread), but its layout is actually far older I believe. First entries in my mapping folder show as early as 2010, though I believe i actually finished the layout sometime around 2013. Not completely sure. This map was made for the Awesome Mapping Contest 2018. It is not part of the complete collection (yet), for the moment the map can be gotten here.
Spoiler
DM-CrescentSun (2007)
I've always wanted to do a proper industrial map, and CrescentSun is it. Don't remember a lot about the other than the things said about the name. People seem to like the precision gameplay, though.
Spoiler
DM-CTC-Iraar (2005)
A gael clone. I wasn't totally convinced I should have released the map but Homeslice convinced me otherwise and finished the map for the third CTC mappack.
Spoiler
DM-Folos (2005)
Interestingly, the atmosphere of the map is somehow still holding up. Polycounts were an issue, and the map is probably the first to include what would later become my inofficial trademark of heavy Z-Axis fighting.
Spoiler
DM-FoT-Styx (2006)
Styx is a big map by deathmatch standards, something that is awfully amiss in UT really. I don't think the lighting is holding up as good as it was back then, nor can it compare as well to maps like FnB's Simplex or the slick presentation of Atlantis and Erebus. The map itself was part of the second FoT mappack, Frags of Time (can there be a better fitting mappack name?), a pack so big it had to be released in two volumes.
Spoiler
DM-Gintzu (2003)
Pretty small map for 3 players tops. Botplay felt really strange every time I played the map, but could never put my finger on it why this was the case exactly. At least I recently fixed its most glaring issues.
Spoiler
DM-Magma (2003)
Aside from totally 90's logic - equalling no logic at all - when it comes to deco and architecture placement, this may be my hardest map to play against bots.
Spoiler
DM-Magma-SE (2015)
An enhanced version of DM-Magma by Helen, I only scaled back the greening on their lighting and fixed some pathnodes. When the mail came, I was amazed - the map was already 12 years old. To know it's still played is a great feeling, one that I am very grateful for.
Spoiler
DM-Maris (2008)
Maris is probably my most famous map to date, and for good reason. Took a lot of time to create the map, though, and was nearly thrown away had it not been for Creavion who gave me a good hint on how to finalize the layout. The bad thing about it is that every time I am trying to come up with something similarly flowing I usually end up with something too similar and less standing on its own.
Spoiler
DM-Space-O-Torium (2002)
A totally amateurish map, and the oldest one I am still in possession of (unless some of those old unrealed.info guys still have a copy of a mapfile named DOM-Factory courtesy of Braindead aka my pre-Swanky nick - yupp in the thick of the MBot days when we still used modems to dial into the internet). Still makes up for it with its colorful palette and extremely simple minded gameplay.
Spoiler
DM-TmC-Narean (2015)
The basic layout of DM-TmC-Narean sat on my harddrive for about 8 or 9 years containing only the lowest two levels of the terrain. I later redid the layout for an attempt of the failed resurrection of FoT (6) back in 2012 or 2013 I think and again nearly got thrown away after even Revelation told me the layout was impossible to realize without Bsp-errors. The layout also proved too difficult for various UT99.org members when I uploaded the layout for open use. It wasn't until FnB had painstackingly aligned all those rockwalls that I took hold of the layout again for the TmC contest, probably creating the most unique outdoor map for UT. And what a crazy ride that was.
Spoiler
DM-Vrais (2004)
With the release of DM-Vrais I was finally becoming a "pro", if you want to use that term. In any event the map was a stepping stone into a bigger focus by winning Nalicity's Map of the Month (my only motm, by the time Maris came out NC was pretty dead already).
Spoiler
DM-Vsys (2004)
Vsys is more of an experimental map with lots of little details going on like the statue that changes to whomever is leading the match. Interestingly, it is also one of the maps people did not complain on the reddish taint.
Spoiler

Domination

DOM-FoT-Alderon (2006)
There was quite the argument over the map's lighting. A lot of people were upset over my choice of including pure white light. I never saw the point. Still love the layout because it's less straight forward. Was also my standalone map for the third installment of the FoT mappack, the only mappack not having a direct reference to the game's gametypes.
Spoiler
DOM-FoT-Xenora (2006)
A second map for FoT3, this was a joint venture project between Derdak2Rot and me. While he did all the interiors, I did the terrain parts. While the map is small, it feels very vivid catching the feeling of being on the moon and reminds a bit of the Mass Effect series which I absolutely loved but only learned of shortly before the 2nd game was released.
Spoiler
Other

JB-Baras (2004 according to the readme)
Baras started out more as a study of Hourences' mapping habits more than anything else. Because the map is so small it makes for furious matches but isn't anything special otherwise. I felt kinda lucky they included it.
Spoiler

Timewarp Crew

This is the assorted link to all Timewarp Crew mappacks that I've been part of (except FoT 4, which was led by Fragnbrag) and that ran from 2005 to 2008. With this, this is a definitive list of all my creations and projects for UT.
Don't remember much aside from being pretty exhausted by the end of FoT 5, mainly due to talking to people to get them to finish their maps. Still, fun time overall, glad so many people stuck around and trusted me with the vision I had for each mappack after Flags of Time v1 which was almost a complete disaster and in no small part to me. Still, learned a lot by doing these, and I have mostly fond memories of them. :)

Link to my moddb profile which lists all packs: Click

Included are the following mappacks:
- Flags of Time
- Frags of Time Pt.1 & 2
- Fusion of Time
- Forts of Time Pt.1 & 2
- FoT 5

The end?

I don't think so. I still have a few unfinished layouts sitting on my harddrive, and every now and then I got an itch to fire up the editor again (and hating that itch, I think we all know that feeling all too well ;) ).
In any event, I also have all files still sitting on my harddrive, just no place to really upload it to. Might check my moddb profile again, but if anyone is willing to share, let me know.

Speaking of sharing, what's your UT story? Anything you'd like to remember?

€ 03/2023 - updated the image mirrors again... moddb this time.
Last edited by Swanky on Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:45 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Barbie
Godlike

Re: A bit of reminiscing...

Post by Barbie »

From what I've seen in the screen shots: Whow, Chapeau!
--
(Barbie the cube mapper :lol2:)
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Pulled. Pending. :)
Last edited by Carbon on Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Some nice looking maps, will give them a go. Currently reminiscing myself. All my old maps are on an old p which MIGHT be Iin my dad's loft. Need to have a look. Might be a few online if I dig hard enough!
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

Provide some maps names and maybe we can help.
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

Swanky I logged into this great site only to tell you thanks for keep ut classic live for all your FOT team contribution, and yes let he time to give shaping into those maps you have in HDD taking dust, bring on life for ut lol

By the way, what do you think about the new ut4 still very wip and alpha? May we the ut fans see to life again great mappers like you, and other like fragnfrag

Carbon you have a pm, when possible could you read please? thanks!
Last edited by darksonny on Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Carbon wrote:Provide some maps names and maybe we can help.
The problem is It was a long time ago and my memory is terrible! Also a lot of my work I just shared amongst friends/ never finished.

Two I remember off the top of my head are AS-bioassault which was part of the WAM pack (pretty sure that's still out there) and another was DM-evilworx (part of the RAT pack)

Edit
.. found a link to evilworx on this forum! [urlhttps://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6501[/URL]
Last edited by Eviltom on Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

Well, both of those are still around. Post back if you get a memory burst.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

I love to play map CTF-XC-Peak17. It's one of the best :tu:
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

Barbie wrote:From what I've seen in the screen shots: Whow, Chapeau!
--
(Barbie the cube mapper :lol2:)
You should go ahead and play those maps if you have the chance. I always valued gameplay at least as high as visuals.
carbon wrote:Introducing the SwankyPack!

I have put all of these together in one collection with a little write up. I included your comments on the maps here Swanky,; I hope that is cool. I also included the whole CTC Volume 3, as I wasn't sure about dependencies. If you want to let me know, I can separate your map from the pack and re-upload or if there is anything you want me to remove/include.

I put in a couple of maps that weren't specifically on your list; a couple of "..1.1" versions. Not sure if you did that or not, but I thought I would put them in. If they are problematic or if you want them out, I will do that.

A great collection Swanky...thanks for your work mate.
I'd be okay with that idea if you'd only list the maps in that package that I did, without any other CTC or FoT maps. As for 1.1 versions, need to have a look at those. I'm pretty sure I do have all the latest maps on my harddrive so I can verify which map has what version. Maybe on Sunday...
darksonny wrote:Swanky I logged into this great site only to tell you thanks for keep ut classic live for all your FOT team contribution, and yes let he time to give shaping into those maps you have in HDD taking dust, bring on life for ut lol

By the way, what do you think about the new ut4 still very wip and alpha? May we the ut fans see to life again great mappers like you, and other like fragnfrag

Carbon you have a pm, when possible could you read please? thanks!
Thanks man, glad to hear you like those maps. As for UT4, I am not taking this as negative as the rest of the community around here seemingly does, in fact I like both the the new engine and gameplay so far. However I cannot tell if I am doing any map for UT4 since mapping nowadays and especially for newer engines seems so fundamentally different to bsp based mapping from "back then".
Aldebaran wrote:I love to play map CTF-XC-Peak17. It's one of the best :tu:
Glad to hear it. It was a very interesting experience, like I was glued to the monitor for days. The great thing about this time was that the creative process almost never felt like real work, it all just sort of came together, and I never experienced any dicey situations like FnB did at the time (although he's running into dicey situations all the time so...).
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

Swanky wrote: I'd be okay with that idea if you'd only list the maps in that package that I did, without any other CTC or FoT maps. As for 1.1 versions, need to have a look at those. I'm pretty sure I do have all the latest maps on my harddrive so I can verify which map has what version. Maybe on Sunday...
That's all I did. Collected the maps you listed and zipped them up. I'll pull the link for now and wait for you to check and decide.
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

Carbon wrote: That's all I did. Collected the maps you listed and zipped them up. I'll pull the link for now and wait for you to check and decide.
As far as I can tell none of the V1.1 or V2 versions are fake. Those are all maps I did update at one point or another, no point in keeping the older files of those maps. Like I said earlier, if you can check the dependencies of Iraar (which should only be the music file), then you can go ahead. :)
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

No CTF4?

No MH?

Please!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

I never was interested in CTF4, and used Killing Floor for my MonsterHunting needs...
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

Dang, I didn't know you've released that many maps! I think I knew your FoT works and everything post 2008, but looking at "mapping kid"-Swanky was very interesting to examine. Even your oldest effort is visually in the field of looking "okay". The gameplay, on the other hand, seems a bit too straightforward I guess. :D Reminiscing is also one of my favorite activities - it's so much easier than creating something new - even though I constantly live with the pressure that there's unfinished business lying behind me!

However, if I did a showcase in the manner of your opening post, it would be 70% unfinished/abandoned stuff, since I kept my actual releases to a minimum so far :what:
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.