UT and Hamachi???

Discussions about UT99
Inflikted
Novice

UT and Hamachi???

Post by Inflikted »

Hi there, I've no clue as to where I'm supposed to put this thread as I never post or register on forums, yet this is an issue I want solved.

How does one set up a multiplayer game of Unreal Tournament using Hamachi? I don't seem to be having much success, as my friend just seems to get "Connection failed" each time. I'd say it is annoying, but that is an understatement.

Is it even possible to set a game up on Hamachi? I really don't want to have to forward ports, because I'm completely fricking useless at that. :lol2:

Any help is help. Thank you. :)
whatever happened to your heroes??? :lol2:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Re: UT and Hamachi???

Post by Dr.Flay »

Hamachi is a remote desktop program, used to control 1 PC from another.

You need to make sure your UnrealTournament.ini files are up to date with the current masterservers, and host a game normally.
If you wish for a private game you can set a password for entry.
http://wiki.333networks.com/index.php/C ... Tournament
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

I've never used a VPN for UT - I did that by forwarding ports... 8)
And of course that end that is running the server has to open the UDP ports used by UT for incoming connections of the other end; the ports are usually 7777 and 7778.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Inflikted
Novice

Post by Inflikted »

Dr.Flay wrote:Hamachi is a remote desktop program, used to control 1 PC from another.

You need to make sure your UnrealTournament.ini files are up to date with the current masterservers, and host a game normally.
If you wish for a private game you can set a password for entry.
http://wiki.333networks.com/index.php/C ... Tournament
Never heard of Hamachi being used to actually CONTROL 1 PC from another, still what the hell do I know, I've only successfully had a few games of Doom up and running from it.. :?
Regardless of that, are you saying that it is indeed not possible to host a LAN game using Hamachi?
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Dr.Flay wrote:Hamachi is a remote desktop program, used to control 1 PC from another.
I've never heard of Hamachi and thought Inflikted means the VPN client Hamachi. (For VPN I usually use OpenVPN.)
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

LAN= Local Area Network (eg. computers that are physically attached to each other via a local router.)
I guess you are only after the VPN functionality of Hamatchi ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LogMeIn_Hamachi
Regular VPNs most people need just connect you to the outside world somewhere that they are not.
Hamatchi is for making a specific VPN between specific PCs. This is normally because you need to control the PC at the other end.

If you are connecting to remote computers, UT will happily work over a normal private VPN, running as a normal internet server game.
Theoretically It should also work as a local network over a PC to PC VPN, but I don't know if you would need to change the UT config.

Why don't you just host a normal internet game as a private server ? Why the need for a VPN ?
It is already built to connect to people over the internet, you don't need to hack it into connecting via a fake LAN.
Especially as VPNs should always be encrypted and will reduce your bandwidth.

When you host a normal internet game, players will make a direct connection to the person hosting, so it is as fast as possible.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Dr.Flay wrote:Why don't you just host a normal internet game as a private server ? Why the need for a VPN ?
He wrote it in first post: he does not want to mess around with port forwarding (what is needed in IPv4 when NAT is done).
Inflikted
Novice

Post by Inflikted »

Dr.Flay wrote: If you are connecting to remote computers, UT will happily work over a normal private VPN, running as a normal internet server game.
Theoretically It should also work as a local network over a PC to PC VPN, but I don't know if you would need to change the UT config.
Well I have set up a VPN for both me and my friend, but my friend is not able to find my server within the list, so I'm assuming that I may have to change the config, even though I'm pretty sure I am specifying it to UT that it is a LAN game.
Inflikted
Novice

Post by Inflikted »

So I take it that there really is no way to get this working? :(
angelaametz

Post by angelaametz »

If someone really needs a working software with a good connection speed, then you need this https://yumdownload.com/hamachi. If you have problems with the software, you just need to reinstall, while closing all connections and rebooting your network card.