How to Connect to UT99.org's Instant Chat in IRC

Discussions about UT99
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

How to Connect to UT99.org's Instant Chat in IRC

Post by Gustavo6046 »

A message for mods: If this is off-place, please move it!

This is a tutorial that describes how do you connect to the only chat currently officially available for UT99.org.

First I'll cover some few first-time basic questions about IRC:
· What is IRC after all?
IRC is an old chat protocol that was made with the intent to provide quick chat through the Internet for the interfaces.

· Wait. If IRC is old, then why choose it when there's stuff like WhatsApp and Discord?
Because the IRC structure is simple enough :) And it's the only way of chatting with other UT99.org members usually.

Suplementarily, it's also my favorite, being the only way of connecting to my best friend.

· Ok. And how do I connect to this so-called "irc"?
That's simple! I'll tell step-by-step.

1. Download and install an IRC client. I recommend HexChat which I'll use for this step-by-step.
Currently I'm in a lot of places, as you can see below:
But I'll only teach to connect to the UT99.org thingie, so you'll have to figure the rest out yourself. :/
Once you manage to install HexChat it'll look something like this:

2. Click in HexChat -> Network List. Then click in Add. Afterwards it might look like the following (I have highlighted the new server in blue):

3. Select it and click Edit.

4. Double-click "newserver/6667" and instead copypaste:

Code: Select all

irc.quakenet.org/6667
It should afterwards look like this:

5. Close the window and click in Connect. Make sure your new IRC server is selected:

6. Once connected, copypaste into the bar:

/join #ut99
This is called a command. You'll learn more of them while you use IRC.

Good luck in your IRC journey! :tu:
Last edited by Gustavo6046 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
ANUBITEK
Adept

Re: How to Connect to Instant Chat in IRC

Post by ANUBITEK »

I'm sure through context clues, one can deduce what each of the buttons in your images mean, but considering most users here either speak English natively or use a translator, maybe you should spoiler those images and put in some translations to the buttons. I wont claim I recognize the language (English, first and only language), but I'm not sure if everyone here is going to be able to read your example posts.

That being said, aren't there tons of tutorials out there for getting an IRC chat client up and running for most IRC chat clients out there? Why make another one? Why make one here? Why not just put the IRC connect info into your tag and forego this entire topic? Sure, I'm willing to bet there are people on here who don't know that UT99 has an IRC, but I dunno. This topic seems a little. . . Out of place, regardless of where it would be in this forum.

But maybe I'm a ding dong and need to shut up.
Spoiler
ALSO IF YOU POST IMAGES, PLEASE SCALE YOUR FRIGGIN IMAGES DOWN
<<| http://uncodex.ut-files.com/ |>>

Code reference for UGold, UT99, Unreal2, UT2k3, UT3
Additional Beyond Unreal Wiki Links
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Console_Bar
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Exec_commands#Load
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Exec_Directive#Loading_Other_Packages
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Config_Vars_And_.Ini_Files
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:INT_File
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

LannFyre wrote:I'm sure through context clues, one can deduce what each of the buttons in your images mean, but considering most users here either speak English natively or use a translator, maybe you should spoiler those images and put in some translations to the buttons. I wont claim I recognize the language (English, first and only language), but I'm not sure if everyone here is going to be able to read your example posts.
Those examples are in Portuguese, but I have provided the names of the important ones in English verbally instead of visually. Read ;)
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

LannFyre wrote:aren't there tons of tutorials out there
Yeah but some people never heard before of IRC, and the channel is almost so empty and I want to tell everyone about this awesome IRC thing. :P

EDIT: whoops forgot to edit xD sorry

Weapon of Destruction
ANUBITEK
Adept

Post by ANUBITEK »

Gustavo6046 wrote:[...] but I have provided the names of the important ones in English verbally instead of visually. Read ;)
A red circle around what you are referring to in pictures in a different language, for a tutorial that is in English, would be significantly more efficient. This is like getting a driver's manual where all of the pictures are only in German, but the text itself is in American English. "Translate the words yourself, I wrote the instructions so follow the instructions after translating my images." You could also just link a tutorial in your signature, descending from what is IRC to IRC set up tutorial(s) to the UT99 IRC. But if it is dead and people are typically posting on the forum, why not just join a server of any of the people that are posting on here, as they often have server tags or their own chat groups in their signatures? It just seems kinda pointless. :???:
<<| http://uncodex.ut-files.com/ |>>

Code reference for UGold, UT99, Unreal2, UT2k3, UT3
Additional Beyond Unreal Wiki Links
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Console_Bar
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Exec_commands#Load
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Exec_Directive#Loading_Other_Packages
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Config_Vars_And_.Ini_Files
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:INT_File
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

LannFyre wrote:"Translate the words yourself, I wrote the instructions so follow the instructions after translating my images."
Not what I meant. I meant that the client will be on the user's language, and I provided the English names of the buttons for everyone. So just look up the button in English if you are an English speaker.

Weapon of Destruction
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Re: How to Connect to UT99.org's Instant Chat in IRC

Post by Hellkeeper »

I think it's a neat idea. :)
You must construct additional pylons.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

What if I'm using UT ? Why do I need other things installed/registered ?
[attachment=0]Chat.png[/attachment]
Attachments
Chat.png
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

sektor2111 wrote:What if I'm using UT ? Why do I need other things installed/registered ?
[attachment=0]Chat.png[/attachment]
And how?
You don't have to write a tutorial now ...just a link to an explanation is enough. :wink:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Hellkeeper wrote:I think it's a neat idea. :)
Yeah, at least it works. :mrgreen:
LannFyre wrote: A red circle around what you are referring to
This would be useful to understand the tutorial better.
The Layout will be the same in other languages, but you can't expect that other people first translate the picture content.
sektor2111 wrote:What if I'm using UT ? Why do I need other things installed/registered ?
And how?
You don't have to write a tutorial now ...just a link to an explanation is enough. :wink:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I have in INI some default stuff accessible in Net Menu
UnrealTournament.ini wrote:

[UBrowser.UBrowserIRCSetupClient]
IRCServerHistory[0]=irc.utchat.com
IRCServerHistory[1]=
IRCServerHistory[2]=
IRCServerHistory[3]=
IRCServerHistory[4]=
IRCServerHistory[5]=
IRCServerHistory[6]=
IRCServerHistory[7]=
IRCServerHistory[8]=
IRCServerHistory[9]=
IRCChannelHistory[0]=#utgames
IRCChannelHistory[1]=#utchat
IRCChannelHistory[2]=#utmods
IRCChannelHistory[3]=#utlevels
IRCChannelHistory[4]=#uthelp
IRCChannelHistory[5]=
IRCChannelHistory[6]=
IRCChannelHistory[7]=
IRCChannelHistory[8]=
IRCChannelHistory[9]=
bHasReadWarning=True
You can complete whatever IRC servers then use some channel as <utchat> or such. Also I think XConsole has chat and other browser as well. Seriously why do I need "special" IRC apps ?
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

sektor2111 wrote:I have in INI some default stuff accessible in Net Menu
UnrealTournament.ini wrote:

[UBrowser.UBrowserIRCSetupClient]
IRCServerHistory[0]=irc.utchat.com
IRCServerHistory[1]=
IRCServerHistory[2]=
IRCServerHistory[3]=
IRCServerHistory[4]=
IRCServerHistory[5]=
IRCServerHistory[6]=
IRCServerHistory[7]=
IRCServerHistory[8]=
IRCServerHistory[9]=
IRCChannelHistory[0]=#utgames
IRCChannelHistory[1]=#utchat
IRCChannelHistory[2]=#utmods
IRCChannelHistory[3]=#utlevels
IRCChannelHistory[4]=#uthelp
IRCChannelHistory[5]=
IRCChannelHistory[6]=
IRCChannelHistory[7]=
IRCChannelHistory[8]=
IRCChannelHistory[9]=
bHasReadWarning=True
You can complete whatever IRC servers then use some channel as <utchat> or such. Also I think XConsole has chat and other browser as well. Seriously why do I need "special" IRC apps ?
Ooh, didn't know that! But specialized apps can go very far, including the IRC scripts, autojoining, custom commands and much more.

<jk> I'm an IRC pro. :tu: </jk>

Weapon of Destruction
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I'm not wasting time in IRC I just have my "News" page where I can track how do these works, else if I would be an IRC addicted probably I would set my own IRC server... But at this moment I have no insane affinity these...
As I deducted if I'm not mistaking some of these config info might be received from "News" page looking at my logs and then I completed requests with my own ones...
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I made it incredibly easy to visit the front page and join the IRC chat, with no knowledge or IRC client.
1) If you don't have a client, or only want to use the room a few times, then click on the first link and choose a nickname.
2) If you have a good IRC client it should recognise "irc://" links, so click on the second link and your IRC client should open the room.
3) for those who prefer the manual method, all the needed info is the text on the second link.

I use multi-client tools like Trillian, Pidgin and Miranda-NG. That way the IRC is just another tab in your regular chat software, and you can combine contacts with their other real chat IDs (only do it with people that register their "nick" on the IRC server).
https://pidgin.im
http://miranda-ng.org
https://www.trillian.im
Attachments
IRC_Instructions.png
IRC_Instructions.png (26.85 KiB) Viewed 5290 times