Do you use a gaming heasdet?

Discussions about UT99
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Do you use a gaming heasdet?

Post by Pileyrei »

I have speakers but need a headset from time to time when playing pick up games (PUG) for teamspeak.

Any suggestions for a headset?

For me wireless would be great so I could listen to music when not playing but I wonder if wired with a longer cord is better?

What do you use and any suggestions?

Piley

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Re: Do you use a gaming heasdet?

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

I recommend completely avoiding a headset altogether (they're essentially cheap headphones and a cheap mic wired together and sold for a high price) and instead just grabbing a microphone that you can use with your speakers. Something like a cheap desktop mic from Logitech should work, but if you want to be fancy and just happen to have an ungodly amount of money stashed you may want to invest in a throat mic if your worried about speaker noise getting in it. I myself actually have an IAsus NT3 that I use with my surround sound. The ONLY time I would advise using a headset is if you REALLY need to avoid disturbing people around you AND you want surround sound (if surround not needed, then just get a good pair of headphones and a desktop mic. Rip open a pair of JVC Flats and add some poly fill inside the cups if you feel like being cheap). I've previously used Tritton AX51's while I had my rig at my girlfriend's parents' house and they do in fact provide true 5.1 surround sound that is suited to gaming, but they overall don't sound very good. I imagine most true surround sound headsets have more or less the same quality with Razer and Asus providing some of the higher end ones.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Do you use a gaming heasdet?

Post by EvilGrins »

Nah, if I actually talked with others while I was playing against them I might identify with them too strongly and be unable to gib them.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758