"Corrupted" maps.

Discussions about UT99
makemeunreal
Masterful

"Corrupted" maps.

Post by makemeunreal »

Well, I've lost almost everythin' I had in an accidental HDD formattin', but managed to recover my .unr files. The problem is that the editor won't open them.
Any way to get 'em workin' ?

papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: "Corrupted" maps.

Post by papercoffee »

A clean reinstall would be my guess.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

My guess is that the map is recovered but broken - I'd try to download it again anywhere.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

Well, it was mine map along with another 200 that got lost durin' an accident. Used Recuve to recover 'em.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

The map seems to be corrupt; maybe you can recover some parts by exporting with UCC.EXE.
<EDIT>
Before trying anything else:
1) I'd a look at the file size: it should have at least some dozens kilo bytes.
2) Open it with a text editor. If you notice that for example the content is only one char repeated all the time, recovering is useless.
How CTF-Face looks in Text Editor
CTF-FaceInTextEditor.gif
</EDIT>
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Recuva doesn't do a really good job of recovery. You can see this by letting it recover deleted picture files. There will be lots of visual artifacts and incomplete recoveries. It's the same with other file types, it's just data the same way really. Your maps appear complete but Recuva corrupted the recovery or it couldn't complete it due to the data itself being overwritten.

End result? Don't waste another moment trying to 'fix' them. You likely never will.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

Well, the file sizes are mkay I guess. They look "originalish" like most of em is over 5mbs.

Well, it has a lot of characters, looks weird tho. Don't know how to do that export stuff.
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

Could any of you guys try to export sth out of 'em? Just the brushes nothin' else.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

Id say upload an example map publically and then lets see if there is hope for your other maps or not!
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

This is what I got:
error.jpg
Sorry, Im afarid theres no hope left for your maps. :? You said it yourself that the text files look strange, and yeah, the characters in there are just totally random. Maybe the total amount of characters is the same as in the original files, but there seems to be nothing left that UED can work with...
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

Mkay, thanks for tryin' it! :thuup: :highfive:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I have tried to find any useful info about the ability of this "Recuve", but cannot find anything.

You need to use a recovery tool that shows if the file is corrupted or not, before salvaging it.
Note: File recovery tools differ and it is worth scanning with a few, before doing any salvaging.

If you have not you written anything to the drive, you may have better luck "Unformatting" it, or salvaging the partition instead of files.
Hopefully you only did a quick format, so only the disk index is wiped.

I have a collection of recovery tools here https://vivaldi.net/userblogs/entry/recovery-tools
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

When my computer crashed a stretch back and my friend completely rebuilt my system I had a related issue with maps and UnrealEd. While I could still open them in it and edit them, it wouldn't allow me to save them with the changes I'd made.

Only way I found around it (still the case with all of those maps) is by saving them under different names after I changed them and deleting the original map for the filename I wanted.

Life is hard, but one learns to adapt.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Learning to do backups can be painful... Not even because hard disk drives have the highest failure frequency of all computer parts - backups also help against the currently spread viruses that encrypt your data.