Discussions about UT99
-Feint-
Skilled
Personal rank: Amateur Mapper

Just What Is A Community Map Pack?

Post by -Feint- »

Testaccount wrote:
Creavion wrote:
-K¡ngS- wrote: At the moment it just seems like a bunch of mappers making maps on their own and then bringing them all together and saying its a Community map pack.
Do you really think, thats NOT normal? We are not here to teach you to make a good-looking map from scratch up. Just as little as like the FOT (unrealplayground) or CBP (beyondunreal) series. Of course, you can get help with some problems but a certain knowledge about mapping (includes the sense of architecture) is required.

To keep the Prep thread clear of offtopic stuff. - Its open to all too its not justa rant thread for me an Crev.

Yes I do think thats not normal. And I do understand that a certain experience would be needed, However by Limiting the "Community" Map Pack to those who only have well honed mapping skills it is no longer a community project.

It becomes the project of a few individuals who claim they are representing a Community.

I guess it is because you are viewing it from the point of view where you are creating a map pack for the UT99.org community, just as FoT do for their community. Unfortunately I perceive this as slightly elitist.

However that may be because I am viewing it as a true community project where everyone can pitch in, regardless of quality of skill.

Now I am not saying that we should allow the map packs to become a collection of degenerate maps, but I am saying that you should still allow a fair few other maps in.

To quote some Philosophy:

"The Quality of Life is reflected by those around it."

To apply this to map making in simpler terms.

"If all maps are of excellent quality and none are poor, how can you realise the fact?

You need some poorer maps to reflect the hard work you guys are putting in on yours.

Anyway this is just my view, but it does still seem more like an elitist map pack which has come FROM a community, and not a map pack made BY the community.
DanomanUK@i4games-Forum wrote:Nah, people bitch one way or another.
You cant win as a mapper ;)
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Just What Is A Community Map Pack?

Post by Feralidragon »

Here's my opinion, there are several types of mappacks.

There are mappacks where the skill doesn't matter, there are others that it does.

The 1st pack was like you said, everyone who would want to join, joined. Now in the 2nd we just want High Quality maps, even I didn't entered due to this same reason. We're not representing the community, this is just a little pack from some members of the community, so so called "Community Mappack", to be a distinct and memorable mappack.

Maybe the next one will be for everybody again...

I understand your concept, but this is just a different pack, with a higher probability of success than so many others, that's all.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Thanks Ferali..
High quality is maybe an ambitious aim, lets say we try to make a decent pack.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
-Feint-
Skilled
Personal rank: Amateur Mapper

Post by -Feint- »

Testaccount wrote:Okay no probs, just some mental thinking errors on my part. :mrgreen: :loool:
DanomanUK@i4games-Forum wrote:Nah, people bitch one way or another.
You cant win as a mapper ;)