Crash to desktop - anything obvious? Ping Higor

Discussions about UT99
ShaiHulud
Adept

Crash to desktop - anything obvious? Ping Higor

Post by ShaiHulud »

Hey guys,

I realise these stack traces/reported line numbers aren't a lot to go on, but does anyone - Higor has good insight into the native side of things - have any idea what might provoke these errors, which appear simultaneously? The UT client is (as you can probably tell) running on Windows XP with Software Rendering.

Thank you.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Re: Crash to desktop - anything obvious? Ping Higor

Post by editor Dave »

I think it would also help if you described what you were doing before this crash happend. Then we can narrow possibilities a lot easier. It seems to me that you looked at a certain object (mesh, textured wall?) that cant be displayed correctly, maybe because it was falsly imported? You see, a little more information wouldnt hurt. ^^
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

If this is one of those "I'd rather people didn't see what I'm doing" things you are welcome to email me and I'll try to help discreetly. I'm generally in my TS in the PST evenings too if you want to just talk it out.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

editor Dave wrote:I think it would also help if you described what you were doing before this crash happend. Then we can narrow possibilities a lot easier. It seems to me that you looked at a certain object (mesh, textured wall?) that cant be displayed correctly, maybe because it was falsly imported? You see, a little more information wouldnt hurt. ^^
More information could help. Bf is asleep so maybe someone else will tell ya before he wakes up lol.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Integrity test #1.
Create this shortcut:

Code: Select all

...path...\UnrealTournament.exe -ini CleanUT.ini -userini CleanUser.ini
This will start UT on an alternate, clean setup.
Go bit by bit (you need to select the renderer via INI) and see if it crashes...
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

Thanks everyone - I'm posting this on behalf of my co-admin, who experiences the crash on our server. My suspicion is that it might be related to NexgenStatsViewer (NSV), because the crash seems to most frequently occur shortly after joining (i.e., when the viewer is onscreen), but I don't have any evidence for this (or rather some interplay between NSV and Software Rendering mode).

Actually, I ought to suggest switching to Direct3D temporarily (not used at the moment because of frame rate issues) just to rule out Software Rendering as a component of the puzzle.

As far as we've been able to observe it's not related to any specific map. The crash has reared it's unwelcome popup-dialog-face on several different maps. We are running a lot of mods, though. Half of them are home baked (er, by which I mean I'm behind the chaos) so unfortunately the finger could be pointed in a lot of directions. I've been largely immune so far, but then I'm on a different OS, I'm using the updated Direct3D driver, and have quite different hardware.

JackGriffin - that's really nice of you, thanks for asking. It's not in this instance. As I say, I'm being a little non-specific because I'm relaying details here by proxy.

dave - thanks, I will if I can. I'm thinking about installing UT in Virtual Box with Software Rendering to see whether I can get the crash to happen locally. That'd make debugging things easier.

Thanks Chamberly, I'll post any other details that come to light.

Higor - that's great, thank you. I'll pass that on and ask what the results are!
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Ever suggested to try out other renders? D3D9? OpenGL?
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

Good thought Chamberly - tried the updated D3D renderer, but unfortunately it didn't improve the frame rate issues. I know the older OpenGL renderer has been tried too, but again with frame rate problems. Older hardware and all of that.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

This kind of looks like one of those eventual corruption errors that UT will get over time. Did your person try an in-place reinstall of the 436 game?

What I mean by this is this (and I know you understand Shai, this is for others who may not):

1. Do a default installation of UT in another spot on your hard drive.
2. Patch this install up to 436 if it's not already.
3. Install the bonus content (and that's all).
4. Go into the /System folder and delete UnrealTournament.ini and User.ini (don't skip this, you want to preserve your working versions)
5. If you use the updated openGL renderer then delete that dll too.
5. Copy this entire folder over to your normal UT installation, overwriting everything. Since all of these files are default if there is any conflict you should be using the version of that file you just created anyway.

You won't lose anything, this only makes sure there isn't any corruption in the core stuff. I've had to do this several times over the years to fix nagging crashes that I just couldn't track down.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

JackGriffon - that's great advice. I did this on my own machine to keep an uncontaminated copy of the game for development purposes. I'll certainly suggest it, I don't know why these things haven't already occurred to me!
Hank
Novice

Post by Hank »

Maybe the fake client mod ( bots with pings ) you run on your server :thudown: has something to do with it? ( just say in )

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/ ... .150:7777/

Please remove this mod, it hurts the community rather then help.