I may have accidentally bricked my game

Discussions about UT99
UTNerd24
Adept
Personal rank: Professional Camper

I may have accidentally bricked my game

Post by UTNerd24 »

So heres the deal.
Originally, I had some mouse problems, where I could move it fine Up down and left, but when I moved to the right, it was half-speed. So I tried disabling DirectInput and it worked for the most part, but then it started occurring again. Apparently it was fixed simply by minimizing and maximizing.
Now here's the real problem.
I reboot the game and it was frozen with a black screen, but you can still here the wind. When I pressed start to minimize and then re-open, it replayed at normal speed with no problem. So out of further curiosity I went to advanced options and changed a few things. As you may know, Advanced options puts the game into a window, which is normal, but when I finished and closed the options menu, the game crashed with this: (See attachment)
I did some reverse engineering and uninstalled the game and re-installed it, same problem.
For reference, I use Direct 3D 9 simply because of its stability of handling excessive dynamic lighting etc. If its the Driver that is causing the problem, I must say that ive never had this issue before.
So basically what I've learnt is that I should never try to fix things myself. Normally the solution would be to change to OpenGL, but as of late, I've been getting choppy framerates, and I have to use a framerate cap of 60 because of it going awal otherwise.

So, can you help me out this time?
Attachments
Notagain.png
Notagain.png (10.34 KiB) Viewed 587 times
I've been playing UT for so long it's practically tradition.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: I may have accidentally bricked my game

Post by Chamberly »

The spoiler contains my first guess, which is probably wrong, move on to the next.
Spoiler
I tried doing some search online for that one but didn't find anything much related but I have a few question in mind.

-Do you have a lot of files in the cache folder?
-Do you have a lot of demos in your demo folder?

If either of those, maybe try moving some of the files out of that folder and see how that goes?
I'm pretty sure this isn't much related but I think Higor probably solved this one before. I just can't think of what it was. Nvm Found it!
I think it's a mouse capture problem
KeyEvent is being called infinite times
because the Mouse input isn't being cleared from windows
try enable/disable direct input in the INI's
This is why I try to save any kind of working solution or such in my hard drive somewhere. However, this one was for someone else as they used Windows 10. I hope it'll work for you?
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
UTNerd24
Adept
Personal rank: Professional Camper

Re: I may have accidentally bricked my game

Post by UTNerd24 »

Got it working again. Cheers!
Unrelated, but is there anyway I can tell if two bots have the same name? Since I use XBots theres opportunity for that to happen.
I've been playing UT for so long it's practically tradition.