Reduce weapon model size?

Discussions about UT99
unreasonably gruff

Reduce weapon model size?

Post by unreasonably gruff »

I'm curious if there are an mods or mutators capable of reducing the size of the weapon model on the screen. The models are too obstructive at 16:9, regardless of FOV. I'd even be willing to learn to make a basic mod to accomplish this, if it is not too time-intensive. Is this the right place to ask?
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Reduce weapon model size?

Post by sektor2111 »

Asking is a good thing. Let me ask you back...
Do you want something like this ?
[attachment=2]ripper.PNG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Rocket_L.PNG[/attachment]
I did not use any mutator I gave some order at weapon, probably is doable in a mutator.
Edit:
Also Translucent as needed
[attachment=0]Or_Translucent.PNG[/attachment]

Edit2:
But, if I well recall, at a moment I was testing game play on a TV 16:9. I have set screen resolution accordingly and I had no issues, so to speak rescaling weaponry for me is pointless, because Minigun has a hard-coded fire-offset if I well recall (in fact all of them) and that muzzle flash will look rammed a bit. If you go lower with fire-offset you might hit obstructions messing aiming, If you bring weapon upper, then it will be right on Screen so again visibility issues...
:noidea .
Attachments
Now I have a small mutator.
Now I have a small mutator.
Default Rocket Launcher a bit adjusted.
Default Rocket Launcher a bit adjusted.
Default Ripper a bit adjusted.
Default Ripper a bit adjusted.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Bumping here with a bit of personal curiosity.

One of my rig monitors went in outage, right now it's in the box for emergency - it has only one lamp for CRT lightning at bottom, that one from top is... burned. I could not work with it in this stage - Intro passed.

Fore-mentioned reason made me to go to some shopping and I bought a cheap TV box (because such tool has multiple purposes not only acting as a monitor). Because screen is a Flat model aka 16:9 I went to set resolution accordingly. Waaay more visibility :lol:. And then ? And then I do not have any clue if I need a "mutator" or some crapped hack for resizing weapon model because for me everything do looks fine and probably I'm even happy about the broken thing which was triggering me to find a replacement letting UT to look even better than before, to not forget embedded speakers which are fine excepting me from having a bunch of devs around.
Take a look at a random testing session:
[attachment=0]Shot_Flat.png[/attachment]
Do I need to resize weaponry ? In my opinion this is not needed either...
Only for me this thread do looks pointless ?
Attachments
Shot_Flat.png
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

sektor2111 wrote:Do I need to resize weaponry ? In my opinion this is not needed either...
Oh ...interesting.
How does the redeemer look like in this resolution?
And I have a few weapons in Food Fight which are more to the right side then usual... how would those look as well?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Meh, if something would be that nasty at this point and way disturbing I think people would not play UT almost 20 years, these sudden "problems" are just like "let's find something to complain about".

Let's take a look at at default redeemer in 4:3 format. It do takes a huge area from screen.
[attachment=2]RD_4_3.png[/attachment]

And not without to move from location, the same thing in 16:9 format.
[attachment=1]RD_16_9.png[/attachment]

I cannot say that is very different as long as a part from bottom is not rendered anymore. Then if you look at roof, a part is missing. I had to get used with this resolution as long as actors do look closer - I fired UT_FlakCannon lower than needed and grenades as well at first encounter of this new resolution, I had to get used with the new thingy. 16:9 does a fake feeling about a so called visibility when in fact it will lose details on vertical axis. Weaponry stuff probably takes the same percent of image as 4:3 else I don't get what exactly do need to be scaled and how, I'm not gonna compute these as long as for me are pointless. Whoever doesn't like 16:9 get back to 4:3 or... simply hide weapon in HUD menu, that simple.
[attachment=0]RD_Hide.png[/attachment]

I'm going to delete that "mutator" which I did months before as long as it doesn't help with "akimbo" weaponry, those having hard-coded deal with weapon display type causing lousy effects for "double-enforcer" types like for other "double" types.
So in my opinion 16:9 display needs "a fix" toward vertical visibility not toward weaponry, but this is 16:9 that's why is called 16:9 and it's not the same as 4:3 - else player with more visibility will gain advantage in game and this would means cheating which is not a welcomed thing.
As conclusion, super duper newer display types in 16:9 format are reducing your vertical visibility, this is not a weaponry problem, is more a visibility problem which at a random moment won't help in game, even if in certain situations you can aim better with Insta type weapons (I was kicked once from a server in the past - some moron though that I was cheating but I didn't - using a Samsung 16:9 TV box). Weapon it's the very last issue here.
Attachments
RD_Hide.png
RD_16_9.png
RD_4_3.png