MH: What about replacing UnrealShare.TentacleProjectile?

Discussions about UT99
Aldebaran
Masterful

MH: What about replacing UnrealShare.TentacleProjectile?

Post by Aldebaran »

On some monster hunt server I saw they have replaced the projectiles of tentacles into more damagefull ones (for example rockets).
I think they are using some ammo replacing functions because I saw different projectiles on different servers in the same maps.
The original UnrealShare.TentacleProjectile are quite harmless even if they fit better to them optical.

So what do you think about it?
And what projectiles would be the best choice? Any suggestions / class names?
Barbie
Godlike

Re: MH: What about replacing UnrealShare.TentacleProjectile?

Post by Barbie »

Aldebaran wrote:And what projectiles would be the best choice [for tentacles]?
As a mapper I prefer ballistic projectiles ("UnrealI.FlakShell" or "UnrealShare.BigBiogel" for example) for short range battle. Always nice to see when rushing players get mortared by such a tentacle that is placed just around the next corner. :lol: For long range of course none ballistic projectiles like rockets or blades or plasma balls suit better.

If replaced automatically at runtime by a mutator it's not possible to find a good matching projectile. For Kralls for example I do it in this way:

Code: Select all

if (S.RangedProjectile != None)
	if (S.RangedProjectile == S.Default.RangedProjectile)
		if (FRand() > 1 - Difficulty) // *Difficulty* is between 0 and 1 here: 0=normal, 1=hardcore
		{
			switch rand(4)
			{
				case 0:
					S.RangedProjectile = Class'Botpack.PlasmaSphere';
					S.ProjectileSpeed = 1450;
					break;
				case 1:
					S.RangedProjectile = Class'Botpack.Razor2';
					S.ProjectileSpeed = 1300;
					break;
				case 2:
					S.RangedProjectile = Class'UnrealShare.DAmmo4';
					S.ProjectileSpeed = 1500;
					break;
				case 3:
					S.RangedProjectile = Class'Botpack.ShockProj';
					S.ProjectileSpeed = 1000;
					break;
			}
		}
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

For a long range DAmmo/OSDammo family are suitable, they travel Level until first wall encountered.

Perhaps are not advisable at WarpZones :barf: .
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

Barbie wrote:For Kralls for example I do it in this way
So you integrated it into your monster hunt mod code? Not a bad idea to let the projectiles be choosen randomly...

Thanx for your ideas so far!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Aldebaran wrote: And what projectiles would be the best choice? Any suggestions / class names?
I don't know, but I would try the alt-fire of the stinger. Or is there a good reason why this projectiles are sparsely used on pawns?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Generally on most maps that appear on a server, changes to a tentacles projectile (or any monster really) isn't because UnrealShare was altered but because a different projectile was assigned to the monster. You do it directly to the monster on the map, a little Right-Click action.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Doesn't happen for monster spawned later which will have default properties - this is not a solution is a coding thing which must work timed based NOT ONCE. This is a deja vu thing somehow...

@Aldebaran - yeah, ideas... see UTJStrongMonster series from... 10 years ago...
Mainly everything is being done in more or less lousy way, however, at Skaarj chapter all coders were only blabbering around...
holding weapon but dropping a crap or nothing, not holding weapon on Tuesdays and each day, bullshitting F5 TeamView, randomly unkillable, or not dropping weapon properly because it stays in death's location, a mercenary in a damage zone with invulnerability becoming indestructible, and all that trash. And yes... I spent whole NIGHTS working at these things which were pretty much annoying in game... and because of what I was sharing here and there, these are no longer looking as bugs in some servers - new people doesn't even know them...
But any default MH server with UTJMH has the same issues as in 2007 with nothing changed regarding to hardware support - bugs are only running faster and that's all...

Excuse me, guys, but these are other deja vu things - we have to look for enhanced solutions - making codes better and smoother and getting rid of instant iterations as possible. I think I will port UTJStrongMonster into a state code with a different flow... but another time because now I don't need overpowered creatures against default player...
My current solution is rescalling damage and... using visible projectiles with decals automated VIA SetPawnDifficulty.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

I tried UnrealShare.TazerProj and UnrealShare.Rocket too for Tentacles. It seems they work great.
Barbies way to change monster weapons randomly brings some small surpising elements into the maps, I like it!
papercoffee wrote:I would try the alt-fire of the stinger.
I tried the normal mode of the stinger (UnrealShare.StingerProjectile) but they have a similar effect like the standard tentacle thorns. I don't know if alt-fire is possible there, it would be worth a try.
Barbie wrote:S.RangedProjectile = Class'UnrealShare.DAmmo4';
I wondered that I can take projectiles from class ammo instead of class projectiles. But it works :tu:
sektor2111 wrote:automated VIA SetPawnDifficulty
Yeah, I use this function now to change the projectiles.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Aldebaran wrote:
Barbie wrote:S.RangedProjectile = Class'UnrealShare.DAmmo4';
I wondered that I can take projectiles from class ammo instead of class projectiles. But it works :tu:
Recently I mixed up 'BioAmmo' with 'UT_BioGel' and that tentacle was really spitting Ammo... :lol:

Class'DAmmo4' can be found at Object>Actor>Projectile>DispersionAmmo>DAmmo4, therefore it is a projectile in fact.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Barbie wrote:Class'DAmmo4' can be found at Object>Actor>Projectile>DispersionAmmo>DAmmo4, therefore it is a projectile in fact.
Doh...
Perhaps you did not see some map where a Skaarj was firing... ASMD, but genius was later asking me "What's your problem ?".
MY PROBLEM !!?? :what:
After making maps for years in Editor (blabbering around mainly) we are using weapons as projectiles and asking others if they do have problems ? I don't know which one has problems, nasty problems - probably real problems if after some years of crapping (oops mapping) we are using as projectiles some non projectiles... . Perhaps someday a monster will fire some brush for defending itself by player... heck knows what a mind might born after consuming evil mushrooms...
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

sektor2111 wrote:
Barbie wrote:Class'DAmmo4' can be found at Object>Actor>Projectile>DispersionAmmo>DAmmo4, therefore it is a projectile in fact.
Doh...
Perhaps you did not see some map where a Skaarj was firing... ASMD, but genius was later asking me "What's your problem ?".
MY PROBLEM !!?? :what:
After making maps for years in Editor (blabbering around mainly) we are using weapons as projectiles and asking others if they do have problems ?
Do you know the Ridiculous 'Deemer? :mrgreen: It shoots chainsaws (and other stuff)
Here download/file.php?id=5116
viewtopic.php?p=62159#p62159
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Ridiculous redeemer is firing projectiles a bit... loved, not other classes with no physics tweaked and no checks.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

sektor2111 wrote:Ridiculous redeemer is firing projectiles a bit... loved
Yeah it's firing edited Redeemer missiles :mrgreen:
What do you mean with "loved"?
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I saw some projectiles from some spiders and also queens I would like to know the class name from. The same projectiles exists in yellow and orange and I guess the orange projectile is little bit stronger.
Attachments
ammo.jpg
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Just cuz...
Attachments
Shot0113.jpg
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758