I want the game to randomize from all my bots

Discussions about UT99
Croc
Novice

I want the game to randomize from all my bots

Post by Croc »

Hi all!

I searched, searched and searched, but couldn’t find a solution to this problem.

The situation is: I have customized 24 of the 32 bots available at the game, but whenever I play any mode (last man standing, capture the flag, etc) the game only chooses from bot 1 up to bot 18. Any bot from bot 19 to bot 32 never show up in games, unless I use the “addbots” command to go over the default maximum of 16 bots in a match.

Is there any way to force the game to randomize from bot 1 up to 24 or up to 32 when it chooses which bots are going to join the game? Like change some file or something. :help:

Oh, and before someone asks, I have “random order” checked.

Thanks!
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: I want the game to randomize from all my bots

Post by OjitroC »

There are a number of mutators you can use, including Xbots and Xbots9b - these pick bots randomly from 5 and 9 lists of customised bots respectively, plus from the UT list in User.ini. You don't have to enable all the custom lists so you could use just the default UT list with either of these mutators (I think). These two mutators can be found at the usual file repositories.
Croc
Novice

Post by Croc »

Thanks for the suggestion OjitroC, but Xbots didn't help.

I tried these configurations in matches with 9 and 16 bots:
-Using only UT bot list with all bots enabled.
-Using only UT bot list with only bots 1 to 24 enabled.
-Using only 1 of the Xbots lists with all bots enabled.
-Using only 1 of the Xbots lists with 24 bots enabled.
-Using UT list with 1 Xbots list, 12 bots enabled at UT list and 12 at Xbots list.
-Using 3 Xbots lists with 8 bots enabled in each list.

None of these configurations helped. The game always selects from bots 1 to 18. Sometimes the 19th bot shows up, but bots 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24 only appear when using addbots.

I have checked the XbotsRandom.ini file in the System folder. For that last configuration (3 lists with 8 bots enabled in each), Xbots picks the 8 bots from the first list for the first 8 slots in order, then 8 from the second list and 8 from the third list. The remaining slots up to 31 are filled with random bots from the UT list. But when I start a match, it doesn’t randomize from the full list in the XbotsRandom.ini file, it still only chooses from bots 1 to 19 in that list (slots 0 to 18).

It’s a pity that this didn’t solve my problem, but it’s nice to have xbots installed if I eventually start creating some skins.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Croc wrote: I searched, searched and searched, but couldn’t find a solution to this problem.
Where did you search?
Croc wrote:Is there any way to force the game to randomize from bot 1 up to 24 or up to 32 when it chooses which bots are going to join the game? Like change some file or something. :help:
You certainly didn't search in the game. :mrgreen:
wheretorandombots.png
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

@Croc - Have you tried it with Random Order unchecked? No duplicate or missing bot names? No errors in skins, classes, voices etc, etc? Not running any mutator that might conflict with xBots? Anything in the log which might point to the problem?
Croc
Novice

Post by Croc »

papercoffee wrote: You certainly didn't search in the game. :mrgreen:
wheretorandombots.png
As I said on the first post:
Croc wrote:Oh, and before someone asks, I have “random order” checked.
I believe you didn’t understand the problem. The game does choose bots at random, but it only chooses from bot 1 up to 19, it never chooses bots 20, 21,…,31.
OjitroC wrote:@Croc - Have you tried it with Random Order unchecked? No duplicate or missing bot names? No errors in skins, classes, voices etc, etc? Not running any mutator that might conflict with xBots? Anything in the log which might point to the problem?
I tried now. I used a bot list with all 32 bots enabled and with different names, without any custom skin, class, etc., so no errors. I also tried with no mutators, except Xbots itself. No luck. Xbots seems to ignore the "random order" checkbox anyway.

The log doesn’t help much. All the information it gave me is the order in which the bots were chosen: 1, 2, 13, 10, 11, 14, 3, 16, 4, 7, 12, 15, 17, 5, 8, 18.
It seems the random number generator from the engine has some rule to never randomize above 19, which makes sense since the default max number of bots in match is 16.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Hmm, I got other results: I renamed BotNames[19]=Bot19, BotNames[20]=Bot20, ..., BotNames[31]=Bot31 and started a DM practice session with 16 randomly choosen bots. And it looks like it was random (see pic). I suggest starting UT with an empty or missing USER.INI to see if there are wired settings.
Attachments
Botnames.jpg
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Before you start a game, do you have to select Random Order each time or is it already setup?

Could be the game is defaulting to having it off, regardless if you click it.

Might have to slightly change one of your .ini files.

Or, it could be the first time you play a map it selects just from the first number you specified. When the map switches over to the next one automatically at game end, does it still select from the first number? Or are you starting each map fresh rather than letting it switch over as it would on its own.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

@Croc - you could try removing the xBotsRandom.ini (xBots will create a new one when it runs again) and see what happens. I've been using xBots (actually xBots9b now) for years and have not noticed any problems with it (except, once, when there was an error with a skin). I agree with Barbie that the problem possibily lies outside of xBots, though there is no logic in it only choosing from slots upto 18. Have you checked slot 19 in the xBotsRandom.ini for any possible error? Are you using standard, default game types?

@EvilGrins - the problem is not the lack of randomisation but that the randomisation is only of bots in slots 0 - 18 in the xBotsRandom.ini

------------- EDIT ------------
I've run some tests with xBots and xBots9b

xBots - using just the UT list in User.ini, I find that xBots randomly populates xBotsRandom.ini with bots from User.ini (choosing from all 32) and then randomly puts the required number of bots into the game; that is, it chooses at random from all the bots in the xBotsRandom.ini list (on a couple of occasions it added Bot4 or Bot5, which don't appear in the xBotsRandom.ini, meaning that there may be a problem with the skin or something else with one of the bots in the User.ini)

xBots9b - using all 9 lists plus the UT list (total of 320 bots), xBots9b chooses at random from all lists to populate xBotsRandom.ini and then puts the required number of bots into the game by adding that number in the order in which they appear in the xBotsRandom.ini list - that is, if 10 bots are required, it adds the first 10 bots in the list - so in this case it does not choose randomly from all the bots in the ini.

I found that neither version of xBots added anything to the UT.log.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Croc wrote:
papercoffee wrote: You certainly didn't search in the game. :mrgreen:
wheretorandombots.png
As I said on the first post:
Croc wrote:Oh, and before someone asks, I have “random order” checked.
Oh, sorry didn't notice the last sentence.
But their is certainly something strange in your instalation, because I play with all bots I have ...pretty random, up to the 32th bot. Like in Barbie's example I have no other bot list tool running.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

@Croc - I've also tried it without using xBots and found that, with Random Order checked, the game does choose at random from all the bots (32) in the list in User.ini.

The evidence posted thus far suggests that there is either a problem with the slots after 18 in your User.ini or a wider problem with the game installation, as papercoffee suggests. So are the game types you're playing modified in any way?
Croc
Novice

Post by Croc »

PROBLEM SOLVED! :D

Since the randomization worked for you guys but not for me, I grabbed my old CD to reinstall the game. Then I’ve found a folder with patch 436 inside the CD. I patched my game from version 400 to version 436 and bam! Problem solved!

Now the game randomizes correctly from the UT list and/or any other bot lists I have enabled on Xbots.

Thanks for the help everybody! :tu:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Are you kidding ? You could say from beginning what messed version are you using. Of course V400 doesn't have what V436 has, that's why was patched...
And... now I have a reminder for my future game-controllers because I have forgot this detail: Kick player which is not using at least v436 :| .