UT99 online gaming latest years - bad impressions

Discussions about UT99
OwYeaW
Experienced

Re: UT99 online gaming latest years - bad impressions

Post by OwYeaW »

i tried to search the server for you, but was unable to find it
so could you please just post the ip address

if you randomly select a server and find out this server is terrible; well thats just bad luck man
there are enough servers that are properly set up and dont have any of these "bad impressions" you talk about

so if you have problems with a certain server i would recommend you to report this and move on to a better server
imo there are too much servers for the amount of active players nowadays, so im sure youll be able to find a decent server
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

@OwYeaW - Seven servers according to http://www.gametracker.com/search/?query=unrealteam
OwYeaW
Experienced

Post by OwYeaW »

OjitroC wrote:@OwYeaW - Seven servers according to http://www.gametracker.com/search/?query=unrealteam
thanks
so apparently its not {UT} but [UT] :P
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

TammT wrote:
Higor wrote:TL;DR
Can I get a quick rundown?
Can you be constructive here, instead doing privacy breach ?
I mean, I don't have anything to hide, my IP is logged with every post. I know that my every e-mail is checked very well after 2015 Paris terrorist attacks, and so on.
What has this to do with Higor's request for a summary of the issue?
He is btw. that guy who could maybe fix this problem. But if you are not interested in getting things fixed... :noidea
Or don't you know what "TL;DR" means?
TammT
Average

Post by TammT »

papercoffee wrote:
TammT wrote:
Higor wrote:TL;DR
Can I get a quick rundown?
Can you be constructive here, instead doing privacy breach ?
I mean, I don't have anything to hide, my IP is logged with every post. I know that my every e-mail is checked very well after 2015 Paris terrorist attacks, and so on.
What has this to do with Higor's request for a summary of the issue?
He is btw. that guy who could maybe fix this problem. But if you are not interested in getting things fixed... :noidea
Or don't you know what "TL;DR" means?
Exactly - I don't know what that means. So I must be stupid idiot. Furthermore, I don't know what quick rundown means - I could look after it, but really was not in mood to bother for that guy, whoever he is. I wrote already a lot here about issue. If someone want more, needs to ask very specific things, and certainly not making misplaced jokes.
OK, I try some short summarym starting with some basic stuff:
Basic concept of UT99 is as by most computer games - all players have same movement , same fire and other speeds. This is not like old game Decathlon, where faster moving of joystick resulted in faster running. Of course, it means not that people with faster fingers will be not more efficient, but there are some restrictions even: like pause between 2 dodges (normally some 0.6 sec).
And I did not remember seeing extreme fast players in early years of UT99, and especially not in LAN.
In last 4-5 years I noticed some really huge speed differences. Best visible is running speed. But faster players throw faster teleport, their missiles fly faster, and even Rocker Launcher load is faster. Huge advantage. They usually deny it, saying that I see it not good and like.
Some later events indicate that whole thing is related with client computer speed, connection speed, network setting (speed) at client. I supplied some demos to demonstrate it.
Only way to assure same speed of all players - those who have decent connection and not some old slow computer (very old actually in case of UT99) is that server solves that. Saying that players, so clients should use some drivers, UT versions which fix higher speeds than normal is ridiculous. Who will do it, and make self losing ?
UT99 is old game, while connections and computer gone much-much faster. Maybe some serious changes in overall design are required.
But first step is to admit existence of problem. It is not easy to judge for someone with not much good connection like me where can have extra high speed - in my case it was so far only on 1 server. On most I'm slower than most players - so there is opposite problem too - why some players are too slow on some servers ?
OwYeaW
Experienced

Post by OwYeaW »

after visiting [UT] FUNNEL-ACTION unrealteam.de i can conclude a few things:
- the server has a higher gamespeed (150%?)
- there seems to be strange lag on this server (while having ±50 ping your rockets seem to have a delay before hitting players)

imo this is just a server with a bad combination of settings
apparently some players like it, but i think if you really want to play some "original" UT games then you should look for better servers
for example look at this post: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12224
via here you can play lots of good online UT games with all kinds of gametypes and real players
TammT
Average

Post by TammT »

OwYeaW wrote:after visiting [UT] FUNNEL-ACTION unrealteam.de i can conclude a few things:
- the server has a higher gamespeed (150%?)
- there seems to be strange lag on this server (while having ±50 ping your rockets seem to have a delay before hitting players)

imo this is just a server with a bad combination of settings
apparently some players like it, but i think if you really want to play some "original" UT games then you should look for better servers
for example look at this post: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12224
via here you can play lots of good online UT games with all kinds of gametypes and real players
Yes, it has higher gamespeed. For me 100% speed is just too slow. Of course, I talk here about differences in speed on same server, in same match,
I would not blame server for "strange lag" - that may be just your connection, path to it. Then, it may be caused by 0 ping delay. 0 ping is really stoopid name, btw, Someone invented way to make Internet traffic at infinite speed ? :wtf:
OwYeaW
Experienced

Post by OwYeaW »

so are you now saying that even tho the server has a higher gamespeed, there are still players that are a lot faster then you?
i visited the server for one more time to check out that "strange lag" stuff, but it seemed to be fine now, no lag problems
TammT
Average

Post by TammT »

OwYeaW wrote:so are you now saying that even tho the server has a higher gamespeed, there are still players that are a lot faster then you?
i...
That's the main point of this thread. Not just faster than me, but faster than most there. I seen once, maybe year ago one Polish player who was so fast on 1 on 1 Revenge on now dead Mokum server that it was like watching Flash or Speedy Gonzales. Speed difference exists on many servers.
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Post by Pileyrei »

I used to play a lot on the server in question. Took me a while to get used to the higher game speed. Hated it but got used to it.
Hell I even created a few spammy funnel maps for them (Dangfunnel, pool massacre and poolmassacre][) which the admin kindly added.

But now CTF maps have been added which doesn't mix well with a funnel maps server IMO.

Also the speed is now crazy. It has the double jump installed and so if you dodge and then double jump you literally fly around with the high game speed.
The server has definitely got more laggy too - it was never so bad. I tried a few games last night but gave up after a while. Almost impssoble to hit flying players, plus the lag. I still have it in my favs and hope it will be sorted out.

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
TammT
Average

Post by TammT »

Considering told things about big lags, higher lag than before, and like. I noticed it several times. Had very good connection with some French servers, but then it gone pretty bad. All it changes - Internet is "alive". Server loads may change too. And people tend to notice rather when it goes worse. In my case, I can see very well when connection goes better. That happens not much, maybe 5-10% of time. Evening is better than afternoon, probably because I'm surrounded by many firms. offices, and they load provider a lot during working hours.
Pileyrei wrote:I used to play a lot on the server in question. Took me a while to get used to the higher game speed. Hated it but got used to it.
Hell I even created a few spammy funnel maps for them (Dangfunnel, pool massacre and poolmassacre][) which the admin kindly added.
But now CTF maps have been added which doesn't mix well with a funnel maps server IMO.
Also the speed is now crazy. It has the double jump installed and so if you dodge and then double jump you literally fly around with the high game speed.
The server has definitely got more laggy too - it was never so bad. I tried a few games last night but gave up after a while. Almost impssoble to hit flying players, plus the lag. I still have it in my favs and hope it will be sorted out.
Good work with those maps. That double jump mixed with dodge is what barely works by me. Certainly because crap connection. And of course, my "fly" speed is much lower than of those using it a lot. Actually, I'm easy target during it. And easy even when teleport - because it flies much slower too.
Proper speed control could resolve that - as it is now, it's total crap. There are players almost impossible to kill - they run, teleport so fast. Actually teleport is totally overused by them. Would be good to see how successful they would be without it, but nothing is changing on server over years. I don't think that anything will be sorted out there. All what people with admin rights (there is no real admin) do is cheat and banning people complaining about it. Welcome to free servers of UT99 in 2017 :loool:
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Post by Pileyrei »

Please add my deck only and DM+CTF servers to your favourites :)

See signature for info.

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Run your own server? It takes a little time to learn how but there's nothing like doing it yourself. I'll never play on servers I'm not running unless it's someone I personally know who is running it.

To answer some of your original questions my guess is those servers are running a high game speed with tickrate settings that are also bumped way up. Admins don't listen, they always think faster is better.

And yeah, there are speed cheaters all over. It's just so simple to do that it's a "must do" thing to protect your server against it.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Dizzy
Experienced
Personal rank: Oaf

Post by Dizzy »

@OP:
I'm glad you posted about this important issue because it needs more exposure. I run several BT servers and have struggled with netspeed and timing issues.

However, you should not say that ACE/Newnet etc. are made by "incompetent people" because that is clearly far from the truth.

What I will agree with is that there is not enough well-documented and centralised information on the topic. There are snippets of information, rumours, and opinions floating around the web about how to solve such issues, but there are very few places where accurate information is laid out by people with knowledge.

Here's an article by Anthrax on timing issues:
[Article] Timing issues in Unreal Tournament

Here's a thread where I attempt to ask other server admins for their server settings:
UT admins: what packages and settings do you use on your server, and why?

And here are my threads detailing my own experience with timing issues:
Graphics stuttering issue related to netspeed (video inside)
Server configuration
Join the BunnyTrack.net Discord chat server: https://www.bunnytrack.net/discord
TammT
Average

Post by TammT »

I think that mentioned high tick rate and speed is intentional - because it makes some of them extremely fast. Will not give here names, but generally, almost everyone experienced sees what is going on.
Considering what I said about incompetence: what to say, when server gives you text: your fire speed and game speed is to high, please correct them and reconnect. - Sure, now all fast players will lower their settings :mrgreen:
I will look those links when will have some more time.