Textures with black borders

Discussions about UT99
Xoleras
Novice

Textures with black borders

Post by Xoleras »

Hey, I installed pretty much all available high end and extreme end s3tc-textures to my game and have had pretty much no problems apart from these few textures being black where they should be see-through (attached a picture from Barricade to show some). Which texturefile are these in and should I just revert them to their original file or what?
Attachments
barricade.jpg
Kajgue
Novice
Personal rank: SEX MACHINE

Re: Textures with black borders

Post by Kajgue »

Hi Xoleras,

I'm not sure about UT, but Unreal has a problem with masking .dds imported textures, whereas however alphablend works with .dds and I don't think works very well with normal indexed textures.

Unless this issue is renderer related, I had this problem with OpenGl, is that what you use?
Xoleras
Novice

Post by Xoleras »

Yes I use OpenGL, btw I just noticed its pretty much every texture that's supposed be seen through that has this issue (cables in Phobos, hanging vines in pretty much all maps that have those like Olden).
Kajgue
Novice

Post by Kajgue »

Yeah, surfaces/sheets that are intended to be "masked", I think it doesn't function properly with .dds files (high resolution textures).
Xoleras
Novice

Post by Xoleras »

Well do you know which texturefiles these are in?
Kajgue
Novice

Post by Kajgue »

I'd have no clue for UT, but sadly masked textures are mostly integrated into their corresponding theme texture package .utxs', though there are some exceptions, like there are a few texturepacks which have alot of generalized masked textures, I think the cobwebs (on unreal anyway) and alot of other masked textures, are found within GenIn.utx (maybe that's wrong, i know it's something that starts with 'Gen').

To check, just load up Ued, go to the texture browser and try to load GenIn.utx (no clue if these textures are in a different package for UT, been so long since I played it, even longer since I loaded up the editor for it).
Xoleras
Novice

Post by Xoleras »

I can't check all of the textures in UnrealEd, it throws General protection fault at me when I try to open some texturepacks.