Wacky Warlord

Discussions about UT99
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Wacky Warlord

Post by EvilGrins »

Just to be clear, this is a perfecty normal Warlord:
Other than skinning it and changing its projectiles, this is not a special version of the thing but the original Warlord monster.

Warlord's are somewhat annoying when skinning because without special preparation, when they die they revert to their original skin. Titans don't do that, neither do Queens; there's a few others. To fix this you've gotta set the thing up with a different corpse texture, which I sort of know how to do...

...but I'd rather not.

I found a way around that. Warlord's have a little used feature built into them (you may know about this if you played Unreal1) where just before they die they teleport out. They reach over to their gauntlet, flip a switch, and they're gone.

Of course with any so simple a thing, there's room for the unpredictable.

Not all the time, but frequently instead of teleporting out... the moment it flips that switch it goes from 40 health back up to 1,000 health:

HOW THE HELL IS IT DOING THAT?!?

Did anybody know it can do this?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Wacky Warlord

Post by papercoffee »

Nope, never noticed this.
And you are sure this isn't a modified pawn?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

As far as I can tell, the code indicates that the health should be set to 1,000 and the Warlord should teleport (provided bTeleportWhenHurt is set to true).
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:And you are sure this isn't a modified pawn?
It's the normal Warlord in UT's default files.
OjitroC wrote:code indicates that the health should be set to 1,000 and the Warlord should teleport (provided bTeleportWhenHurt is set to true).
I'll check, cuz it doesn't matter if Warlords are defeated to beat the map... but I am dealing with a lot of them.
Attachments
Shot0086.png
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Warlord is Teleporting.
So what ?
Suddenly, MH's stupid A.I. code triggers Bot in combat and Bot code says: "GoToState('Attacking')" so Good Bye Teleporting, cya next session. I'll bet on 100$ that without Bots Warlord will not fail teleporting. The same crap is with SkaarjStatues, nobody can awake them before triggering them properly but... Bot will awake All on sight when is mooing at walls around "I'm Hit, I'm Hit" - and that ass might be lying, nobody did not touch it... YET.

That's why I was talking about MH's combat codes with less "pushing" but... I don't care about teleporting and statues right now - those were lousy ideas against Bot all time... I was trying to make a MH Bot fight a good clone of PlayerPawn fight, this mission is not that easy because of... creativity from maps...
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote:I'll bet on 100$ that without Bots Warlord will not fail teleporting
Been testing without the StopYourFighting mutator, so monsters are fighting each other as well as players/bots. I only mention this because when fighting players/bots is when it most often flips the switch for more health, but when fighting monsters it teleports more.

Actually saw one of them flip the switch and turn partially invisible, and keep fighting like that.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

EvilGrins wrote:I only mention this because when fighting players/bots is when it most often flips the switch for more health, but when fighting monsters it teleports more.
Because Bots says "Attacking" forcing it all time, but monster doesn't trigger attack that much, and if some external things do a "push" code will turn state teleporting in attack so it won't teleport. Like I said, engaging pawn from outside is not the best ever idea and this is what Bot does in MH, else monster mainly ignores it, until a direct bump.
Aside from Bot, Engine sometimes goes borked with states changes (see other topics with some monster crashing for missing PickDestination by Leo which finally figured problem). In a state monster can execute a trail from a previous state because it looks like this state change in UT works somehow like an ass - strong machines are affected here. By example TakeDamage from whatever state if gets called with delay will send monster to attack regarding to current state (which can be teleporting) so it will be sent to "master state" attacking. I did not count how many code lines in monster have "GoToState('Attacking')" even if this is not needed all time or it should be tested if worth an attack when Pawn has no purpose to do that.

I could figure this in my sessions with MBot but I did not want to post crap in forum (even if others think that bullshitting false information is fun), I did a call to a function specific for roaming, in that moment Bot was forced to a state change, the call went too late or execution went to late, and function was not found outside of roaming, crashing game. IN this case function in Warlord exists, but it does another directive even if pawn in that moment has "ignores TakeDamage" - it was previously called and executed LATER which is not a good thing. I suspect there is a timing problem and perhaps on future with a new generation of machines UT will not work properly either at this point.
It is a way to make mutators based on state code but I don't recommend more states and state changes with insane speeds because Engine seems to have nasty problems at this point. I'm not sure if even testing state function "IsInState" is reporting the right thing and not a false result...