Master server do not work

Discussions about UT99
Speedead

Master server do not work

Post by Speedead »

Master server does not work. Is there just some maintenance or was it turned off? I now have a holiday and so I wanted to play more and it is not. :(
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Master server do not work

Post by OjitroC »

According to XBrowser just now, there are about 591 UT servers running. You probably don't have the right addresses in your UnrealTournament.ini and it still refers to the GameSpy server which went a couple of years ago - you need to alter it as shown below
Spoiler
[UBrowserAll]
ListFactories[0]=UBrowser.UBrowserGSpyFact,MasterServerAddress=master.333networks.com,MasterServerTCPPort=28900,Region=0,GameName=ut
ListFactories[1]=UBrowser.UBrowserGSpyFact,MasterServerAddress=master.noccer.de,MasterServerTCPPort=28900,Region=0,GameName=ut
ListFactories[2]=UBrowser.UBrowserGSpyFact,MasterServerAddress=master.errorist.tk,MasterServerTCPPort=28900,Region=0,GameName=ut
ListFactories[3]=UBrowser.UBrowserGSpyFact,MasterServerAddress=utmaster.epicgames.com,MasterServerTCPPort=28900,Region=0,GameName=ut
bFallbackFactories=False

[UBrowser.UBrowserMainClientWindow]
bKeepMasterServer=True
Speedead

Post by Speedead »

Can you please advise me in which file should I replace the part? I have not changed anything for years and so I forgot exactly how that file is named. I thought it was "unreal tournament. Ini", but I can not find a part of the file that starts with "[UBrowserAll]". What's strange is that I've been playing without difficulty for the previous set yet, but as I searched the internet, I read that GameSpy was supposedly shut down three years ago in 2014.
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

EDIT: oops. I only-skim read your post so I see that you're aware that UnrealTournament.ini is what you're looking for. UBrowserAll ought to be there - if it really isn't, you can try deleting (or moving to another folder) the UnrealTournament.ini file (UT will automatically create a new copy the next time you start the game).

Medor posted something interesting on UnrealAdmin today:
Masterserver is close for maintenance.
Not sure what he's referring to, but it seems something is causing a problem somewhere for some people.

I'm surprised that you'd need to update your UnrealTournament.ini file though (which is the file that OjitroC is referring to) because the epic master server appears to be working OK for me, and I've never modified my client master server settings in the time since the gamespy master server closed.

But I suppose it can't do any harm... there's a page on the 333networks website about this: http://333networks.com/instructions

In short, browse to the folder where Unreal Tournament is installed. Open the System sub-folder. Find the file "UnrealTournament.ini" and open it in a text editor of your choice. Search for the line that says:

Code: Select all

[UBrowserAll]
...and then modify the lines that you find there per the instructions on the 333networks page (I won't copy and paste that part because I'll probably miss something important).
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I don't know if all Info with Master servers is not posted in some explanatory form or is about lack of interest or is about some more or less fake "outage" which I don't see - but one thing is for sure true: GAME SPY IS NO LONGER ALIVE. A few minutes ago I was browsing UT servers... using modifications copied from forums - yeah, these do need reading info generally... And amazingly... look what I found:
[attachment=0]UT_Servers_July_10_17.png[/attachment]

603 UT servers + X hidden (running stealth for developers, tests, private, etc.) and 166 Players (if you cannot zoom the picture above). The best server in reaction for my area was DU main MH server - populated as usual.
Attachments
There is no problem with nothing either...
There is no problem with nothing either...
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

While the GameSpy master server is down and has been for a long while already (3 years already I think), Epic's is still up.

However, last time I checked, Epic master server did not seem to be listening to new servers, and thus only listed the already existing ones. One day I let a server on, with everything right and all, and their master server never listed the server I setup, even after several hours.
But when I changed to a community one, it appeared immediately. I didn't need to change anything else.

So I am not sure about the current status of the official master server, but unless something changed, or that I am missing something here, your server will never appear under the default master servers, you need to use a community one.
However, as expected, new players, and even plenty of veterans, won't ever be able to see any other server since they are not even aware they need to change this to see more servers, so a new server these days is almost as good as dead.

I didn't try to reach Flak for this either, but if you guys experience the same, you might have to contact her to see if she can see what's going on in their master server.
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

Another thread on UnrealAdmin where players are reporting problems - this time in Tactical Ops.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Maybe remove utmaster.epicgames.com from the list? I've just done this and use the other 3 suggested by 333networks.com - I now get more servers showing up in XBrowser.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

It doesn't need to be removed but... it can be "lowered" in other position (2 or 3) and there is a setup (which I don't recall right now related to bFallBackFactories) which is delivering everything for completing more servers in list by getting all servers from all Masters. Also there is a setup (undocumented that much) for how many pings should be done in the same time and how many tries, etc.