UT99 online nowadays - social aspect view

Discussions about UT99
TammT
Average

UT99 online nowadays - social aspect view

Post by TammT »

Lets not talk here about technical issues, diverse player speeds and similar. Just social aspect, how people behaves each to other, generally, fair play and like.
Of course, I will write here my own experiences.
So, there was some popular Rocket arena server in Germany. Not active anymore. What bothered me there most was admin. He used some 4-5 nicks, and all them were on top of best players list. How I knew that all it was he ? Simply, watching him, listening on his chat - you can recognize someone by his play style, talk style. And he was just too fast. When I complained, he said that it is skill - very typical answer. But must admit one good thing - he did not ban because that - unlike many other admins. That server was relative good set up, but not cheat proof - there were some regular cheaters there.
In meantime I plated on many other servers, and in many cases there war absolutely miserable administration - some banned me just because I used voice taunts, some banned me because complained on cheat. Some with argument that I'm cheater :) And yes, I was actually cheater once, for about 1 hour. I used only one free available - Funbot, what is probably first ever cheat for UT. It is just aimbot, and most of servers will not allow you to join - easy detection. I remember playing on some, which allowed me on, on map Curse - I joined in middle of match, and quickly won. Then came 'gg', 'well done' from couple - I just said - not that good, and left. So, first thing - lot of people just can not see obvious, blatant, primitive cheat like aimbotting. It is same today.
But there are much more advanced cheats. Some use more of it - ping cheat - imagine how can someone play at all with ping of 1500 ? And that bastard said me that I should play faster :mrgreen: Sure, he can play with that ping fast :loool: Actually, even 250 is way too much for some serious play, even against bots.
But yet, there is Russian player with fake ping 250, who plays extremely fast. Note that Russian players have normally ping of 80-90 on some West Eu server.
And there is lot of people who considers him as very good player - although he is poor on many maps, mostly those where speed is not so relevant. On top of it there is aimbot, trigger bot most likely. Never banned.
How things going in many cases: you start to play on some server regularly, start to meet people, and some relations may develop. I was witness how some then very active female player, lets call her Cat became some kind of friend with admin on Dutch server. Who I did not like because obvious cheats and arrogance. It went so far, that one moment they 2 asked me to leave, so he can show some tricks to her. I said that I don't care for it, and that it is actually cary unfair, in purpose to be even more unfair :lol: And yes, Cat changed her playing style soon after - much more movement and like.
This was just example of something very common in human relations: they formed, joined a clique. And then they will stick together, share cheats for instance. For me, it is just disgusting.
Another typical is: when you complain on cheat, he will call you naggy, noob, whiner and like. When you push it harder, cheater will not even care to deny cheat anymore, just will say something like 'I do whatever want, and you can't do anything' - and that's is actually most true thing now, on most of popular server of UT99. Even worse, they will ban you, not cheaters, as it happened yesterday when that Cat reported my complains to admin. But I don't care for this misery called UT99 online anymore. This is now so low, that I even don't see chance that can recover ever. RIP fair UT99.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Re: UT99 online nowadays - social aspect view

Post by nogardilaref »

The title is actually more like:
Any online game since ever - social aspect view
Everything you complained about happens in about every single online game out there which is not managed by the company of whom created it.

All you can do is to create your own network of servers, perhaps with people you can somewhat trust to help you, and which you can control in your own way.

UnrealKillers (for example) does exactly this, and while some "corruption" may happen there as well as it is inevitable in every community composed by many members (not saying it does, but there isn't a single case where a large group of people do not have at least a few rotten apples), Sam and the others have been really stand up guys and their servers are quite fun and fair to play on, sometimes even too much.
Maybe you should try their servers for once.
TammT
Average

Post by TammT »

Yes, it seems that public server is just not possible to keep clean.
I don't know. I want just little fun, to relax, forget everyday problems, and then see same human weakness, bad behavior. Too much effort for little gaming.
I think that I just stop with it after 19 years. And rather playing some real retro stuff like PacMan, Dungeon Master :D
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

$carface
Skilled

Post by $carface »

nogardilaref wrote: Sam and the others have been really stand up guys and their servers are quite fun and fair to play on, sometimes even too much.
Thanks dude, that's so refreshing to hear. Not sure who you are but we try our best. There's no corruption at the top level, I can assure you. We have kicked many rogue admins in the past :tu:

@TammT do give us a try
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

$carface wrote:
nogardilaref wrote: Sam and the others have been really stand up guys and their servers are quite fun and fair to play on, sometimes even too much.
Thanks dude, that's so refreshing to hear. Not sure who you are but we try our best. There's no corruption at the top level, I can assure you. We have kicked many rogue admins in the past :tu:
You're welcome. :tu:

I know about at least a few of those rogue admins (one of them a developer even). But what I meant was exactly that, a few appear over time and do no good until you guys catch them.
Players will generally see them first, and suffer in their hands, so I was just telling TammT there to expect it times to times and not blame all the admins because of a single rotten apple appearing once. :)
Admittedly, I had no trouble there myself thus far though.

I have been playing there for many years btw, just not with the same nick as I use here (most of the time), I am just another usual satisfied average UT player.
Thanks for keeping the game up fair and alive. :mrgreen:
TammT
Average

Post by TammT »

nogardilaref wrote: I know about at least a few of those rogue admins (one of them a developer even). But what I meant was exactly that, a few appear over time and do no good until you guys catch them.
Players will generally see them first, and suffer in their hands, so I was just telling TammT there to expect it times to times and not blame all the admins because of a single rotten apple appearing once. :)
I never said that all admins are bad. And that would be just stupid, because I played only on fraction of servers.
However, I don't see what players can do against bad admin - except to write about it where it is possible - after being banned on server after some complain.
"you guys catch them" - yes, we are hunters who catch bad admins :mrgreen: In reality you can do only 2 things: avoid that server or suffer there and keep mouth zipped.
Or I miss something seriously, and there is a way to make some admin's attitude better, replace bad admin and like ? :noidea
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

I have been playing for years in good servers with actual players, and had no real problems thus far.
I don't remember ever getting banned from any server, maybe only kicked, but there were a select few in which the admins were clearly immature children and power hungry, but natural selection is a bitch and those servers died eventually, while some of the good ones are still up (UnrealKillers is one example, but there are other good ones specially for BT for example).

It all comes down to attitude I believe, and you cannot enter expecting that the admins own you a good experience, because they don't, plain and simple. But I already told you all about this before so I won't reiterate.
Even bad admins become more sympathetic if you don't give them "the attitude", because they won't really have anything to defend against, and it makes your case far stronger if you complain to a higher party in the pecking order of the server (the actual owners or "super-admins" of the server).

If you play a game to relax, you should do just that, relax. If you don't like a experience you're having, do something about it in one way or another: build your own servers, talk with the admins in a calmly fashion, or just leave the server and let it die on its own.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Lemme share my view. I see that we can expand UTBrowser for custom game-types. However, it overrides my understanding why we do we need Thievery servers browser window. Me one probably being pretty much dumb :loool: I could not enter in ANY of those permanent EMPTY (as I could see) servers, so I think I'm gonna delete that TAB because is an utter useless crap for default player.
Not only redirect is incomplete, but after downloading 3 hours and 1 week I could finally "hit" the server. Because the action has a reaction I got something in exchange - a nice colored Window :ironic: . Else they do not have any hint in names what do I need (files required) for having a normal visit.
[attachment=1]The_Challenge.PNG[/attachment]

And another one was almost closer >>
[attachment=0]The_Challenge2.JPG[/attachment]

The way of development and doing useless servers for default player overrides my understanding toward that "addiction", "keep UT alive" (in the grave probably) and all bells and trumpets.
I'm not gonna mention some file which server refused to send but finally I was still downloading the rest. Now I have to clean the useless mess which I have downloaded.
Note: I can do such fake server just for making player to download files for nothing. Seriously this is not that hard.
Attachments
The_Challenge2.JPG
The_Challenge.PNG