How can I export meshes?

Discussions about UT99
Marscaleb
Average

How can I export meshes?

Post by Marscaleb »

I'm trying to build some low-poly character models, and I'd like some references to look at to help me figure out how to craft them.
UT99 and Unreal Gold have some great models, but I can't figure out how to clearly view the actual polys. I can kinda get a good view of them with rmode, but I think it would be easiest if I could just export the models as an obj or something so I can bring them into maya and just examine them freely.

Actually before I ask how to export them, I should ask if anyone already HAS exported them, and I could just grab them from you. Second to that, how can I export meshes from UT99 and Unreal Gold?
ShaiHulud
Adept

Re: How can I export meshes?

Post by ShaiHulud »

I used WOTGrealExporter to do this recently, and it worked well (the exporting part I mean). Download links have been posted on the forum in the past, so I expect it won't be too hard to track down
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

The best thing so far was Last Editor from UGold227 (tested) the rest were doing funky things in all my works.
Explanation note:
I was interested to bring a "fighter" animation replacement where it was missing by duplicating some current animation, every single "exporter" was doing borked meshes - figured later at "new imports" - and NO they do not export meshes properly except UGold.
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

Use UModel for extracting resources.
For example you want to extract only meshes from UnrealShare.u, then type this in cmd:

Code: Select all

umodel -export -meshes UnrealShare.u
This will create a directory inside your System directory named - "UnrealShare" with all the exported meshes.
Make sure you extract Umodel and its other files into your System directory (not necessary) and also make sure that the current directory in cmd is also till System directory.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Gildor has his own forum for UModel too: http://www.gildor.org/smf/

If you run into something UModel can't properly export then you ought to message him. I did and in less than a day he had updated the entire UModel program to deal with the issue (http://www.gildor.org/smf/index.php/topic,2885.0.html ). The guy is super friendly and very knowledgeable about this stuff. Oh and if you are going to get into the asset export business I would strongly suggest installing the latest Unreal 227 version from OldUnreal. I've posted tuts and demos over there on importing things from other UEngine games as well as entirely different engines. Smirf has coded the editor in 227 to be much friendlier in asset import and once you get it in you can then export to UT much easier and faster. The UT editor is far less friendly in this regard.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote:The UT editor is far less friendly in this regard.
This is an understatement ...UT UEd2.0 is a bitch regarding import and export of meshes.
But yes the UEd2.1 from Unreal is really handy and comfortable. :tu:
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

How do you export a model from an UT99 package using UGold relatively new editor? I was able to export the Nali mesh from UnrealShare package, but it gives an error if I try loading Botpack package. I just wanted to make a naliwarboss(a naliwarcow with the head of Boss) :cry:
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Umodel will do a better job, I'm not joking. I've seen Ued fail countless times exporting models. I'm not versed in model making at all so I don't know the terms but just about everyone has seen models with newly created points that add jagged polys to exported models when using Ued. It's super-frustrating and because of that I encourage anyone to use Umodel in place of Ued for any sort of asset extraction that involves meshes/models. Not once have I seen Umodel create those jagged additions.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

JackGriffin wrote:Umodel will do a better job, I'm not joking. I've seen Ued fail countless times exporting models. I'm not versed in model making at all so I don't know the terms but just about everyone has seen models with newly created points that add jagged polys to exported models when using Ued. It's super-frustrating and because of that I encourage anyone to use Umodel in place of Ued for any sort of asset extraction that involves meshes/models. Not once have I seen Umodel create those jagged additions.
Ok I used it, I had a problem with uv texture with the boss model, but not with the bosshead model, but it's probably cause I'm not good using it yet.
I used U3Dbinread to convert '3d' files into 'obj' files. I found it through this post which actually gives a link to the zip file instead than the 7zip, I'm not sure if that's a previous version or not, also tht post gives developers useful links.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Sometimes you'll need to use a program like UnrealFX to adjust the textures used on a model. The polys retain texture placement/size/etc variables on them but sometimes lose the actual texture reference itself. I've also seen them lose the transparency flag but all this can be fixed with UFX and proper scripting imports to apply the right textures.

I always used MilkShape to convert to obj when needed. How did YRex's program do? I'd forgotten about this, I meant to test it out.