Using UnrealEd 2.1 after a clean UT99 install on Windows 10

Discussions about UT99
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Using UnrealEd 2.1 after a clean UT99 install on Windows 10

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

So, as few of you already know, my UnrealEd 2.1 randomly started to set bHidden to false to every actor in a map since the mapping contest in 2015.
Of course I cannot keep editing maps to always end up settng some actor's bHidden property back to true, some of you wised adviced a clean UT99 install, I want to use UEd 2.1(Extended Standalone edition), so these are the steps I followed for now:
1. Clean install UT99.
2. Install patch 451.
3. Install UnrealEd 2.1.
So, at this point UEd 2.1 works but I noticed when I open or save a map and close the edior, when I open it back, the recently opened maps are not shown, and that was one of the problems I had other than the "bHidden" one. As I said, bHidden is set to true but I'm not sure when this exactly happens while editing a map, can you think of whatever way to find it out? If it's not random and the problem occurs on a specific action, I could try to do that action on this clean install of UT99 to see if the problem occurs even with a clean install.
Thanks.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Re: Using UnrealEd 2.1 after a clean UT99 install on Windows

Post by Terraniux »

PrinceOfFunky wrote:So, as few of you already know, my UnrealEd 2.1 randomly started to set bHidden to false to every actor in a map since the mapping contest in 2015.
Of course I cannot keep editing maps to always end up settng some actor's bHidden property back to true, some of you wised adviced a clean UT99 install, I want to use UEd 2.1(Extended Standalone edition), so these are the steps I followed for now:
1. Clean install UT99.
2. Install patch 451.
3. Install UnrealEd 2.1.
So, at this point UEd 2.1 works but I noticed when I open or save a map and close the edior, when I open it back, the recently opened maps are not shown, and that was one of the problems I had other than the "bHidden" one. As I said, bHidden is set to true but I'm not sure when this exactly happens while editing a map, can you think of whatever way to find it out? If it's not random and the problem occurs on a specific action, I could try to do that action on this clean install of UT99 to see if the problem occurs even with a clean install.
Thanks.
I suggest try a different version of UT99 instead of patching it. I'm not quite sure if placing links to a legal, clean, installation of UT goty is allowed, I suggest try this :

As I assume you bought the game, therefore I place this link: link removed.

If this goes against board rules, edit this post. Edit: link removed.

Also, windows 10 causes alot of problems due compatibility. I can name you at least 50+ topics concerning this. Try a different install of windows / or use windows virtal machine.

I stick to Windows 7 as long as I can. hate win 8 and 10 all that is new, till it works stable.

Hope it helps.
Last edited by Terraniux on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This member can only post when permitted.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

PrinceOfFunky wrote:the recently opened maps are not shown
These file names are stored in %UT99DIR%\System\UnrealEd.ini, Chapter [MRU]. See if that file has changed after you closed UnrealEd. If not: is it write protected? Is it at least read by UnrealEd? (You can manually change some values there and see if these changes are shown by the GUI.)
PrinceOfFunky wrote:bHidden is set to true
I cannot even imagine what has caused such, but you can easily check if such a thing has happen:

Code: Select all

ForEach AllActors(Class'Actor', A)
	if (A.bHidden != A.Default.bHidden)
		BroadcastMessage(A $ ".bHidden=" $ A.bHidden @ "is not the default value");
Put this code for example into a subcass of Info.Trigger() or Mutator.PostBeginPlay().
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

PrinceOfFunky wrote: 2. Install patch 451.
:wth:
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

papercoffee wrote:
Never install that patch......derp... :ironic2:
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

papercoffee wrote:
451 patch never gave me any problem, UnrealEd 2.0 and 2.1 have always worked fine to me on that patch :/
Barbie wrote:
PrinceOfFunky wrote:the recently opened maps are not shown
These file names are stored in %UT99DIR%\System\UnrealEd.ini, Chapter [MRU]. See if that file has changed after you closed UnrealEd. If not: is it write protected? Is it at least read by UnrealEd? (You can manually change some values there and see if these changes are shown by the GUI.)
PrinceOfFunky wrote:bHidden is set to true
I cannot even imagine what has caused such, but you can easily check if such a thing has happen:

Code: Select all

ForEach AllActors(Class'Actor', A)
	if (A.bHidden != A.Default.bHidden)
		BroadcastMessage(A $ ".bHidden=" $ A.bHidden @ "is not the default value");
Put this code for example into a subcass of Info.Trigger() or Mutator.PostBeginPlay().
I open it with admin privils, UnrealEd.ini last modify date is not 2017 :/
About that code, I could create an actor which I would place everytime I create a map, and on PostBeginPlay() it notifies me if its bHidden is set to True.
Terraniux wrote:As I assume you bought the game, therefore I place this link:
edit:link removed
If this goes against board rules, edit this post.
I got what I had to do with that link lol, if you want to remove it... .o.

Thanks to everyone :D I rly wish to know why it sets bHidden to true, I don't see the sense in it.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

PrinceOfFunky wrote:451 patch never gave me any problem, UnrealEd 2.0 and 2.1 have always worked fine to me on that patch :/
Interesting ! Today I don't have time to believe you.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

sektor2111 wrote:
PrinceOfFunky wrote:451 patch never gave me any problem, UnrealEd 2.0 and 2.1 have always worked fine to me on that patch :/
Interesting ! Today I don't have time to believe you.
Had time to reply tho.
Terraniux wrote:As I assume you bought the game, therefore I place this link: Link Removed
Didn't change anything, UnrealEd 2.0 doesn't save the recently opened maps, so I suppose it's a Windows 10 problem, now I need to know if the bHidden problem occurs into these editors.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

PrinceOfFunky wrote:2. Install patch 451.
3. Install UnrealEd 2.1.
UnrealEd 2.1 as I know so far is 436 StandAlone version with all files - Engine included. 451 I don't think do includes any 2.1 Editor. So if you have installed 451 patch (2.) and then Editor 2.1 (3.) game went properly downgraded and that's why Editor is working - Editor from 451 patch is not working by default. I made once a mix with files but I could not play that much, game crashing mainly all time because the file soup which I did has created an unstable environment... and that's all about myth 2.1 + 451. LOG files are evidences the rest are stories.
Last edited by sektor2111 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Several things come to mind. The first is confusion.

Are you installing the standalone on top of the UT install, or in its own folder as it should be?
If you patched UT then installed UEd2.1 over it, you put it back to 436.

The Standalone UEd is exactly the same one as you have in UT v436
It is not UEd 2.1 that comes with Unreal 227

The only advantages in using the standalone are that it is preconfigured with extra brushbuilders and extruders, and if your game install is cluttered or has the Hi-res texture packs you can avoid adding borks to your maps.

1) Did you disable DEP for UT ?
2) Did you install to the Windows Programs Folder ?
3) Did you install UEd2.1 in the same folder as UT ?

....and to all, no, we do not allow the sharing of download links to any software that is commercially available.
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

UT99 works flawlessly on windows 7,8,8.1, & especially 10

do not install 451 patch if your going to game with that install. It's cool it worked for you in the past, but its a general NONO known throughout the community not to use except on server installs.

Do you have UAC enabled? if so that will most likely stop any type of configuration saves from working especially if not running UT99 as administrator. Disable UAC.
Are you the local administrator? If not become one.
Dr.Flay wrote: 1) Did you disable DEP for UT ?
This isn't and never has been necessary to run UT99
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Qwerty wrote:This isn't and never has been necessary to run UT99
It's about Editor (as in title actually). And when randomly Editor goes retarded (even UT game in isolated cases), solution is disabling DEP and will improve behavior. You should read forum, problem was described already - in case that you are mapping something. Me one I'm using this way and Editor reacts way better.
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

sektor2111 wrote:
Qwerty wrote:This isn't and never has been necessary to run UT99
It's about Editor (as in title actually). And when randomly Editor goes retarded (even UT game in isolated cases), solution is disabling DEP and will improve behavior. You should read forum, problem was described already - in case that you are mapping something. Me one I'm using this way and Editor reacts way better.

my apologies I should have taken that into account :tu:
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

So you think if I will disable DEP, the editor will be able to have write access on UnrealEd.ini?
And yes, years ago I installed UEd2.1 in the UT99 folder, maybe that's why everything worked fine.
I didn't install UEd2.1 in the system partition, neither UT99, never did it, but these problems never occurred. I'm not sure if these problems wouldn't occur installing it in the system partition.
Also, how could I be able to play a map clicking on the play button if UEd2.1 isn't in the UT99 folder? Would I need to specify the ut99 exe somewhere in the ini?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

DEP is to prevent some sudden errors. The rest of INI writing are coming from OS permissions. Even in Win XP if you are User not admin, several system areas cannot be changed.

However, I curious what is about that bHidden. What exactly is the problem ? Let me introduce how do things work in my environment - Editor more exactly:
- I cannot see LevelInfo - by default - but is doable with console/button;
- I cannot see InventorySpot but it's doable with a command: SHOWINV - toggling works here;
- I cannot see paths by default but this can be selected from viewport menu;
- I cannot check collisions of some actors but - is doable as well from viewport and actor's properties.

Nuke:
My MH-Sk_Godz has the most of actors bHiddenEd because... I like to see map clearly in Editor. Fallback to visible properties actually is doable in 2-5 seconds depending on operating speed with MapGarbage tool (probaby 4-5 mouse clicks if I'm not mistaking) - which was previously hiding them on demand - yeah this is an option taking a few seconds to do. I found other maps with stuff hidden but this is not a major problem - Editor has a default button for showing actors if are not shown - look at MH-(du)ComatoseFinal map - everything seems hidden but is not a big deal.

Else explanations: we have bHidden and bHiddenEd which... are two different things. I'm curious which one is the trouble maker for you, to refrain for which reason you had to reinstall everything. Usually I don't do that I copy files from another safe install untouched.
Trivia: 2 days ago I went in real troubles trying that "shader" (my dumbness here). I was simply ruining game - I could not start it using d3d9 at all. How I solved problem ? Suspecting whatever things, I copied ALL DLL files from a clean operational install and UT went back to normal so I did not reinstall anything. I had to modify Editor related stuff, "EditPackages" values but that was an easy task (because I screwed INI with another more simple one). Reinstalling is my very last solution which I'm not using unless I don't have other options.