Using UnrealEd 2.1 after a clean UT99 install on Windows 10

Discussions about UT99
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Re: Using UnrealEd 2.1 after a clean UT99 install on Windows

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

sektor2111 wrote:we have bHidden and bHiddenEd which... are two different things. I'm curious which one is the trouble maker for you
The problem is bHidden as I stated in the title, it randomly gets set to False to every actor at once.

Fact is, it happens pretty much in every maps I make anymore, so I guess this can help find out the problem, I made like 5 maps these months, and all of them got the bHidden problem.

EDIT: I just found out why it happens! when I press 'B' to hide the active brush skeleton, every actor gets bHidden set to False.

I just recorded a vid showing you how it happens, also the bHidden problem doesn't occur using the clean install or UEd2.1 as standalone(as it should be).
bZHmhnaIxz0

(I know... ...too many colored text)
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

All right, for me these seems the mostly different INI values. As I know so far, Editor initializes using 2 files: UnrealEd.ini and... UnrealTournament.ini. What's the deal as examples:
1. My Editor starts with 1 Viewport open to max size and in state how I left it the rest for me are not interesting so I'm not using them. This setup is coming from UnrealEd.ini (at some moments I'm flushing cache trying to convince moron to save data - because at random moments it fails - exiting with eternal error). I can deal with 1 viewport by manually editing UnrealEd.ini because it will not always save my setup - is a crapped up application after all;
2. My Editor is defaulted with grid 8 - I'm using to change it later so why should I keep 16 ? It doesn't hurt after all. This setting belongs to UnrealTounament.ini.

Yes, Editor needs 2 INI files for being initialized as needed. Probably when is trying to save 2 INIs it starts blabbering out of timing in fast machines and/or a different OS. What I would do ?
If StandAlone works fine, compare INI files from StandAlone and version from game where it do looks borked. See differences. Also compare UnrealTournasment.ini related to section [Engine.EditorEngine] with those Editing related settings. Draw your conclusions. I believe they are different. Then you can compare Engine.u files, see if something is not similar.

To Do: For a personal fun, in future I will test my graphic skills in making another logo file for Editor. Something with a dirty place full of garbage and some fancy "U" over it because THIS is the true matching for this application not how do looks original logo.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

sektor2111 wrote:Editor needs 2 INI files for being initialized as needed.
I compared them and I tried replacing them with the clean ones, the bHidden problem is still there, then I guess it must be caused by some DLL.
EDIT: Just replaced all the DLLs with the clean ones, bHidden still happens.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Ok, we aren't out of solutions yet.
Use a Commander or a sort of file handling tool to compare main U files. Compare Editor executable from both installs.
As a last resort, move bad UT install into other location from drive which is not "registered" by OS as an application path. Try to find which setting is different - what is installed in location 1 bad vs location 2 StandAlone.
As a last resort probably you will stop thinking at Win10. It's up on you.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

sektor2111 wrote:As a last resort
Well, as I said above and showed in the video, the bHidden problem occurs only into the "non-clean" install folder, so it wouldn't really be a big problem since I could use the clean-install folder, it's just it bothers me that this thing happens :/
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

maby you need a clean install from the goty edition wich you dont have to patch it.
when you install a lower version then 436 then you must patch it.
But i never did have a clue that unrealed having problems with this.
version 451 is only for servers , maby you need this version for running a server.But maby unrealed dont like that version you installed 451.
You just need 436 i think.

https://www.utzone.de/forum/downloads.p ... ile&id=743

hope this helps.
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.