UT DemoManager problem

Discussions about UT99
Cronoloop
Skilled

UT DemoManager problem

Post by Cronoloop »

Downloaded two of the latest versions, none of them work
Basically, when I go in the menu of the Demo Manager, I hit RECORD, I play for a bit, check, and there's no game recorded. Still "RECORD" instead of "STOP".
Not even the automatic recording works

Tried changing folder and starting UT as admin, nothing

Any ideas?
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Re: UT DemoManager problem

Post by Dr.Flay »

Make sure you have edited your UT config

Code: Select all

[Engine.Engine]
DemoRecordingDevice=udemo.uDemoDriver
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

Yes, I checked that many times yesterday
Any other ideas?
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

I downloaded a 3.3beta and now it seems to work
The only problem is: when I play back demos, voices do not play. Taunts, auto-taunts, etc. They are displayed in the chat, but there's no sound for them
Is this intentional or a bug? What's the behavior on your machines?

-i cant delete the other post to avoid double post-
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

You don't have to delete post after 3 days - that's not really a double post - it's about 24 hours...
All right...
Cronoloop wrote:What's the behavior on your machines?
This one
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5036&p=97988&hilit=udemo#p97988
Pretty much convinced me to remove it, this one is just forcing me to rewrite some MH codes because it does funky things toward some actor which should not be in account in any demo... Else, by running a default demo even on a rig machine, depending on parameters it might run faster than usual. This demo thing is broken and I'm not sure about a fix coming too soon.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I think you must have all the stuff used in the map/demo included as server actors.
Anything not listed disappears from the demos
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Are you aware of these demos play differently when they are recorded with a different version of demo and version of UT? Not many know about this, but it is worth to keep in mind. So keep in mind about these.

Some also might need the different file to play it properly, as it doesn't always point out file mismatch. The common one for this is the announcer.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

In my case I was using the same machine for recording and playing... including the same version, the same ID, the same everything. When a Mod/Module has bugs those are not removed by calling a priest and saying a pray - it won't work, it has to be re-coded properly. And yes, that crash is coming from a crapped map where some author put some so called "magic". Such "magic" actually was a whole crap logging stupid things and doing damage - BiterFish is not for mapping it will self-destruct shortly, it becomes null, then if recorder is trying to set that null thing for some featured recording, in C++ = KO game. That's why I'm asking a million of times PUT THE F...ING CHECKERS where they need to be.

In account packages ServerSideOnly ? Yeah, some sounds are not for client, lol Epic, server doesn't make noise, geniuses. And some of those sounds have a bad file flag that's why in games if we are using them in some map related events nobody can hear them ON-LINE (MH-Rook(v3) - that "Assault the base" XAN type order doesn't exist ON-LINE), so it won't be recorded like the rest of stuff without such a compatibility. I studied a record done in Net play - in one of my maps of course, there I could see a bit how is replicating actors the server. When Player (me) was far from zone where I was spectating battle in demo-play mode, I was pretty much unable to see pawns and too many things until I came closer and then actors started to be replicated around me... Interesting anyway, but Recorder is a sensitive thing... for me is a way no go.
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

@chamberly and flay: Yeah, as sektor said, Im using the demos just to rewatch my own games. of course I have everything I need, otherwise the demo won't even begin to play. Even with bots the taunts just disappear, lol. I know demos play differently on other machines, thats the whole point, no? but anyway, I'm using them on the same one I recorded them

the thing is bugged beyond belief. sometimes the demos won't start, other times it doesn't even start recording, etc.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Sometimes. There are also different things to try though.

You could post some of the UT logs as you try to play some of the demos and it'll say what's going on. Maybe there are already some fixes of such. Otherwise, it could be replication errors and demos just won't play.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

My other logical deductions
Record should start in map where it is recorded and not before join to server or re/start a map. I guess "travel" types will stop any record. I don't recall a record having UT-Logo-nap and whatever other map. We speak about a record in a MAP not a record having 2 maps. If record is being started before loading game probably will surely fail.