CTF map-size poll

Discussions about UT99
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

CTF map-size poll

Post by EvilGrins »

This came up recently in a chat with Terraniux...

...do you (whoever's reading this) prefer small, large, or truly ginormous CTF maps?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Re: CTF map-size poll

Post by SilverSound »

For me I love the idea of defending a large base with my bot budds. I love defending in games. I'm really good at it.

So for me I'd rather have a larger map with some spots to defend in.

Still working to perfect the map making process of this though. It's hard to do for me. Gotta study more maps.

So my vote would go to large maps.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

Yeah, for offline play with bots, bigger maps are a bonus. Online with human opponents, I think smaller is better - it depends on the game type too to some extent (you can cover a lot more ground quickly with a translocator or grapple).
I'm not a fan of maps with more than two or three routes between bases, it just breaks down any sense of team co-ordination and makes it much harder to keep a running mental model of what's happening in the game.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

Depends.
On a lot of stuff actually, mostly the mood.

There are times where I want to play in big maps, other times in small ones, in others I just don't care as long as the map is cool. I am not dead set on a single one.
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

@ EG,

It's not that I do not like big CTF maps or something, there are some really cool maps out there. Most of my own maps are simply huge as well..... Let that be said.

Now on plain CTF as it is

But my point is, if I would put a timer on how many minutes it takes to walk from red to blue, (without getting lost all the time) it already takes 3-4 min, shooting the bots and killing them another 1-2 min, grab the flag,
Hope you won't die ...... And the same time back. That is already almost 8 minutes if not 10 , to go and return back. If you have a 30 min time limiter on it, you can sometimes barely make 3 runs.

Good translocator and kill-skills might shave off some minutes, but the extra time you need to progress and have less time in action that is what makes like HUGE ctf map way less.
There is large, very large, and HUGE, and your edited map I classified as Huge , for a personal opinion that is. Plain walking and X-locin' the whole time..... :barf: 20 min long.

If you have Strangelove, or vehicles, or some other mod that speeds up things, that's another story.

Hope this clarified things.....
This member can only post when permitted.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I don't play much bigger CTF maps ...the biggest map I play is my own Northern Lights map. But because it has a bend and sniper are not 100% superior on this map because of their exposer. Every other huge CTF map is mostly not my cup of coffee.
Well, it depends on how it's build and how it plays ...but mostly I like the middle range maps.
The Burger CTF maps are a very good example. Or EpicBoy and Disposable Heroes.

Btw.
What's the name of the Face variant in your screenshot?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Terraniux wrote:It's not that I do not like big CTF maps or something, there are some really cool maps out there. Most of my own maps are simply huge as well..... Let that be said.
I get that but it got me curious about what others thought and seemed like it might be a fun thread of discussion.
papercoffee wrote:What's the name of the Face variant in your screenshot?
CTF-Times, originally.

Edited version is the same with an added -UTDM in the middle.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758