Help adding content paths

Discussions about UT99
DoktorHaus

Help adding content paths

Post by DoktorHaus »

Basically, I want to keep my custom content separate from the vanilla game files, so I created a "Custom" folder with its own Maps, Textures etc structure. Then I added them to UnrealTournament.ini like so...

Code: Select all

Paths=../Custom/System/*.u
Paths=../Custom/Maps/*.unr
Paths=../Custom/Textures/*.utx
Paths=../Custom/Sounds/*.uax
Paths=../Custom/Music/*.umx
Paths=../System/*.u
Paths=../Maps/*.unr
Paths=../Textures/*.utx
Paths=../Sounds/*.uax
Paths=../Music/*.umx
Everything seems to work, except for my Custom System folder. Any help?
The game does seem to recognize it, but only if there's a copy of the u/int/etc in the default system folder, which defeats the point - the mod appears twice.
Last edited by DoktorHaus on Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Re: Help adding content paths

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

DoktorHaus wrote:keep custom content separate from the vanilla game files
That would be awesome, I have 10GB of custom stuff and it's always difficult to find vanilla stuff when mapping etc...
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

:shock:
Put them in order or chaos will result !
...hmmmm nice.... no wrong chaos..

U-engine will look at each folder in order, so the first ones have higher preference.
Any files loaded from the first version of the same folder, will not be looked for in the next folder.
Version conflicts will happen.
Always add underneath, not on top.

Yes this is a good way to keep your playing and editing UTs separated, but able to see each others files when you launch the game or editor.
I use this for my combined Unreal and UT install so I don't replicate a load of files, and each time I add a map to Unreal or UT, the other can see it.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

Yeah, I have exactly the same setup on my end, except that instead of "Custom" I have that directory called "Addons", and I am loading them afterwards as Flay pointed out.

However I think .ini and .int files will still remain visible from System alone, not sure if you can add alternate paths for those like for the rest of the stuff (never tested it myself).
chat sniper
Novice

Post by chat sniper »

Apologies if reviving an ancient thread is faux pas, but this one came up on an internet search for having difficulty with getting paths working and I'd like some help. I'm having some issues.

This is an example of what I've put in UnrealTournament.ini:

Paths=../System/*.u
Paths=../Maps/*.unr
Paths=../Textures/*.utx
Paths=../Sounds/*.uax
Paths=../Music/*.umx
Paths=../Expansion/Maps/*.unr
Paths=../Expansion/Maps/Bunnytrack/*.unr
Paths=../Expansion/Maps/CTFM/*.unr
Paths=../Expansion/Maps/Monster Hunt/*.unr
Paths=../Expansion/Music/*.umx
Paths=../Expansion/Sounds/*.uax
Paths=../Expansion/System/*.u
Paths=../Expansion/System/*.int
Paths=../Expansion/System/*.ini
Paths=../Expansion/Textures/*.utx

First thing I noticed was that if I have a custom model set for a bot, the game will crash saying it cannot find the textures necessary for it. Once the relevant texture file has been put back in the default texture folder however, the game laoded successfully... however:
  • none of my custom models are accessible in the menus for either the player or bots, but if a bot was set to a custom model previously it actually does load as that model in game;
  • all the config access for my mods have disappeared from the mod menu;
  • no custom mutators are visible e.g. Xmaps, Nali Weapons, etc;
  • for some reason tournament darkmatch is the only available custom game mode available (e.g. where I can select assault, deathmatch, CTF, etc.). No Bunnytrack, no MH. Darkmatch.u is in the expansion system folder, not the default.
  • custom music will play for 0.1 of a second and then continue playing the menu music, even in maps which do not use custom music.
Some positives: I can access all my custom maps. Textures and sounds seem to work from what I can tell.

Last point of note: for some reason oldskool seems to still work more or less, maybe because I enabled it just before trying to alter the paths, but it isn't detecting maps the way it used to and keeps creating a new oldskool.ini in the default system folder as well.

Am I doing something wrong, or does messing with paths just not work well enough? I'd really like to separate base content from custom stuff, so any help would be great. Thanks
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

This kind of issue is the subject of fairly regular discussion so it would be an idea to do a search of this forum, if you haven't already done so.
chat sniper wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:19 am First thing I noticed was that if I have a custom model set for a bot, the game will crash saying it cannot find the textures necessary for it. Once the relevant texture file has been put back in the default texture folder however, the game laoded successfully...
That's a bit odd, as normally the game would just load the model without textures and, failing that, load a default model. I don't recall ever having a crash because a model's skin could not be found.

The reason for most of your issues is that you don't have the .int files (and .ini files where relevant) for your mods/mutators/etc in your UT/System folder. Your issues indicate that the Engine won't look beyond the System folder for content that it expects to be in the System folder.

The custom bot model will load because that is called from your User.ini which, presumably, is in your UT/System folder.

The tournament Darkmatch is one of the gametypes in the Botpack.int file which, again presumably, is in your UT/System folder.

You don't need separate folders for .u, .ini and .int files (you could try putting all your inis and ints in your Expansion/System folder and see what happens).
chat sniper wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:19 am I'd really like to separate base content from custom stuff, so any help would be great. Thanks
There are ways to do that - it not something I do (beyond having separate map folders for the various gametypes and having separate system folder for different UT versions) so I can't offer any direct, useful advice. As I say, there are some recent discussions on that in fairly recent threads, I can't remember which ones but, hopefully, some digging around in this forum should be fruitful for you.

A thought - put ALL your int and ini files in your System folder, remove the /Expansion/Sytem int and ini folders and move your /Expansion/Sytem folder to be above /Expansion/Maps/*.unr (that is at the top of the Expansion folders). Try that and see what happens.
chat sniper
Novice

Post by chat sniper »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:11 pm You don't need separate folders for .u, .ini and .int files (you could try putting all your inis and ints in your Expansion/System folder and see what happens).
There are no separate system folders for each file type. The bit at the end, e.g. *.int at the end of the path name, is in coding terms called a regular expression. With that expression, the game will search for any filename that ends with .int.

I did a little digging, but paths is such a generic search term, and for content paths the only thread of relevance that is returned is this one. Looks like I might be stuck. Thanks for the response though.

Kind of annoying the system folder seems to be the main folder with issues, it's the one I'd prefer to keep clean the most :pfff:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

It's not more simple to not use INI INT and all that ?
I have this line for newer patch inside said folder aka "System".

Paths=../System_469c/*.*
The rest are declared normally UTX UAX UNR UMX UXX.
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

With 469c, and the introduction of new localisation file layouts, a quirk was introduced for .int files in custom locations.

See the following issue: https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... ssues/1127

The solution is that you also need a "LangPaths" entry for your custom int files. This is added alongside the other "Paths" entry:

LangPaths=../SystemLocalized/int/*.int
LangPaths=../Others/System/*.int
Assuming your language is set to English/Int. I'm not sure how it'll play with mixed localisation files.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
chat sniper
Novice

Post by chat sniper »

Interesting. Added the relevant couple of lines there, and when I loaded the game up the first thing I noticed was checking the mod menu to find a bunch of blank lines. Something's still not quite right. Will probably just leave all files in their default locations.

@sektor, I wasn't sure of the limitations of the game and thought I was just playing it safe.

Thanks for the replies.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

You might also take in account that "Monster Hunt" string from paths, I think you can forget any SPACE and simply using "MonsterHunt".
chat sniper
Novice

Post by chat sniper »

I gave it a try, but my MH maps were not visible after doing so. Adding the space back, they were visible again.

FWIW, I am using 469c.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

chat sniper wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:19 am I gave it a try, but my MH maps were not visible after doing so. Adding the space back, they were visible again.

FWIW, I am using 469c.
And folder name must MATCH what was loaded in INI. If folder has SPACE but INI has no SPACE, these are two different things and so it won't work. In UT, even in year 2030 I won't use any SPACE anywhere.
chat sniper
Novice

Post by chat sniper »

Ah, my apologies, I misunderstood - it was just a preference thing.

What, no camel case? ;p