Unreal Tournament TV (UTV)

Discussions about UT99
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Unreal Tournament TV (UTV)

Post by UTPe »

Hi guys,
is there anyone here who have ever used Unreal Tournament TV (UTV, https://utv.clan-sy.com) ?
if so, what are your opinions about watching/broadcasting ut matches through this service ? thanks.

cheers,
Pietro
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Unreal Tournament TV (UTV)

Post by papercoffee »

Is this a streaming service?
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

I never heard of it.
But if I may ask, what's the problem of using Twitch or YouTube instead?
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Way back in the day UTV code was used to access servers you were banned from. Remember the days of messenger/ICQ? Using UTV code you could play UT on a server using those chat services. You just opened a chat with someone and your server access was tunneled through them and it appeared to the server that your IP was that of the person you were "chatting" with. It's been a good while back but I think maybe it was Cowboy who showed me this? I can't remember but I was certainly able to do it myself after he showed me how.

For a while it was a bit of a cottage industry but the lag involved made it unplayable in any competitive sense. Guys would just join servers to taunt the people banning them or crash them with the various exploits that handn't been closed (skin hack, etc). Happily it died off fairly soon though and is not used at all as far as I know because proxy addresses are so easy to use today.

IIRC the last time I saw this used was about the time I began work on MH2, so about 2007-8. Someone tunneled my server and spammed joins until the server crashed. I actively banned them only to get them back a bit later and it would start up again. I shut the server down for a few days and it didn't happen again.

I'm with Nog, I'd use Twitch. No one uses UTV and there's probably a reason why. Besides it's super easy to stream now, they make it so easy and friendly to set up.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
UTPe
Masterful

Post by UTPe »

well, I didn't know those code drawbacks. I already heard about this ut99 component years ago but never used it.
yes, TwitchTV (along with some well-known broadcasting software like OBS) is obviously more modern and easy to use, no doubt but the recorded game is player-based, you can record only your personal game. on the contrary, I was searching for some tools that let me watch a match in the same way I use to do with classic spectate function (i.e. I can choose any player in a map and watch tha gameplay from his point of view). Why I can't simply spectate ? some slots must be reserved to referees (this is all about a ut99 sniper cup) so, in order to grant a smooth gameplay on the server, slots cannot be reserved also for casual spectators.

anyway, thank you all for your replies.

cheers,
Pietro

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Server side demo recording. It's not going to be live but it will record everything in the server. I did it for a while but the file sizes get pretty large quickly. It's not something I'd leave on all the time.

I'm not saying not to use UTV. In fact I've seen it used and it both works and it's interesting. The only caveat is that IIRC the observed player can 'feel' it when someone is watching because there is a small hit to their performance. That was years ago though and the much larger internet connections everyone has may have fixed all that.

If you are still interested in trying this out let me know and I'd be glad to help if you need it. This could possibly lead to some interesting ideas like live streaming into a monitor on another server, etc.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
UTPe
Masterful

Post by UTPe »

JackGriffin wrote:If you are still interested in trying this out let me know and I'd be glad to help if you need it. This could possibly lead to some interesting ideas like live streaming into a monitor on another server, etc.
thank you mate.
at the moment, I've no pretty clear ideas about what to do exactly or what other people in the cup are interested in. in case, I'll ask you a bit of help.

PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

It only streams to who has UTV client anyway: https://utv.clan-sy.com/help.html
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"