What maps and gameplay do you like / request - discussion.

Discussions about UT99

I'd like to see more.....

AS
16%
BT
6%
DM
16%
DOM
8%
CTF
22%
MH
12%
JB
4%
SP
10%
Other gametype - please comment!
4%

Total votes: 49

Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Re: What maps and gameplay do you like / request - discussio

Post by Hellkeeper »

Terraniux wrote:What I am saying is that some people out there are still wanting simple map recipes and nothing original / complex. For them these are the best.
And calling it 'traps' could be a bit, you know, discomforting for them. But I get your point.
There definitely are recipes that make sure your map is at least average to play. It takes a bit of work and thought, but it works. It doesn't mean it's bad. It just produces maps where you can the level designer's hand. It's a trap inasmuch as it results in maps playing, feeling and looking similar, even though they have different layouts, atmospheres and themes.
Obviously, it's a natural result of a working formula: because it works, it is use often and because many maps are based on that model, they all share something between them. I'll still it a trap because it becomes a habit and in the end your maps start to become boring as you stick to this method for too long (and I did). Even Hourences, at some point, made a numer of maps which felt a bit samey in the heydays of UT2004, because they all sticked to that pattern.
You must construct additional pylons.
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

So since people asked....

MONSTERHUNT TUTORIAL PART 1

This covers - MH generally, backstory and installation

http://crystalunreal.com/Downloads/Mons ... _Part1.pdf

Part 2 will be actual mapping and progressing, and inspiration from maps.

Enjoy!

Also added in the Smeerkat's Tut' topic.
This member can only post when permitted.
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

Bumping this.... interesting results so far! I am actually re-thinking my next project now. Maybe I should do AS instead of MH?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I'm not convinced that poll is not voted just... to let's vote something.
AS has bugs, else last time when I checked AS servers they were ALL empty, but ALL. And then... look a sudden AS affinity ? Interesting... because AS was poor since all time, 5-6 years ago was almost the same subject debated somewhere and someone has noticed that nobody speaks about Assault. Latest crashes and server-troubles with logs presented here are showing MH DM CTF so... Perhaps we wanna know in which AS server do you play - these sudden AS addicted players.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

I wonder too about the AS votes. Aren't there so many games out meanwhile with assault themes like COD, Counter Strike etc.? Not to forget Tactical Ops with over 2000 maps. Ok, in UT99 Assault you have perhaps more objectives but the gameplay is very the same or? Sometimes there is an UT99 Assault server where some people are playing but most of the time all assault servers are empty. So with another gametype you surely reaches more people I think. The same is with Jailbreak, I love it and would wish new maps for it, but I never see people playing this anymore :-(
Indeed if an admin is able to brings his assault server constantly in action (without bots) I would play your map there too...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Well, the initial post didn't say something about online gaming.
I, for example, play AS offline with bots and only the maps which get pathed correctly. Or in Lan ...well not any more.
Therefore I never noticed some issues with AS.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

papercoffee wrote:Therefore I never noticed some issues with AS.
Too bad, you should look at console at certain moment. Those custom AS games have reasons to be rewritten...
On-Line I was pointed how to use Team-Boost for getting a sort of shortcut. Some genius admin prevented this by setting up friendly fire 100%. Okay now let's see defenders and attackers killing themselves...
OFF-Line - I must use very skilled Bots and I still have chances for never losing matches like Mazon. They are using the same style like in 2001, each step is known and there are always waiting some grenades. When I'm attacking mission is more heavy but not that much if you can convince defenders to leave their positions and spread them properly.
Frigate - I set my team to attack while I'm firing projectiles for spreading defenders. While defenders are busy with me, my team is delivering a successful attack. For defending, I put holders at entrance and I'm sitting behind them. I must miss-balancing teams (more enemies) if I want to give a chance at attackers to destroy compressor, about the rest of mission I cannot even speak. A.I. control from Assault is... heavy to be managed. What did I missed ? A crap called Assault and which made me to currently remove all AS maps. If you like such things go ahead and play... In Guardia I'm sitting if front of door with Flak and let me know which bot is passing entrance, also with my defenders holding that position, OFF-Line or ON-Line each part has a really dumb side, MH is 100 times more challenging and more nice.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Mazon is a good example for a bad pathed map. Attacking bots get stuck behind drop-ship, no variation in pathes, defender are always on the same spot guarding the two chains... this is a boring map. Overlord is better but not perfect.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

papercoffee wrote:Attacking bots get stuck behind drop-ship, no variation in pathes, defender are always on the same spot guarding the two chains...
mmm, these I think they can be fine tuned but are not my goal. Else another Edited map might solve these things but for me is pointless Assault A.I. won't be like in CTF, too predictable...
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

bump. CTF has got the lead now! :shock: wut.
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Post by Pileyrei »

What ever happened to LMS?

Did it just fade away like Assault? :(

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Feralidragon
Godlike