UT99 and many ip address in Firefox

Discussions about UT99
buby
Average

UT99 and many ip address in Firefox

Post by buby »

Hi there,
I have one problem and I don't know if this is the right place to post it.
Well, I have noticed a strange matter: after playing and closing the game if I open Firefox and try to use it it block itself for a long time, but over all if I make a search for what is going on with "Process Explorer" I note that there are many ip address that FF have collected.
If I try to use OPERA the same thing doesn't happen as well as if I turn off the pc and restart it again the problem with FF disappear.

Any help?

Thanks
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Re: UT99 and many ip address in Firefox

Post by nogardilaref »

Does it happen with only this game?

Because Firefox is a real memory eater, and if you open something which requires a fair amount of memory to run in comparison, what might be happening is that by the time you close the game Firefox is using the HDD instead (swap or pagination file, depending if you are using Linux or Windows).

It also uses a fair bit of CPU, and since this game is rather CPU-centered, even for graphical stuff, if the CPU starts to throttle due to overheating while playing the game (which shouldn't happen unless you have a cooling problem), might not be enough to slow the game down (since it's an old game), but might be enough to reduce the speed of things like Firefox to a crawl as well.

These are just very wild guesses of mine, of course, and if you have a "modern" PC (anything from the past 6 years at least), none of them should pose any problem at all.
Unless you're still running something like Windows XP on a Pentium 4 with 1G of RAM or so, at which point you're better off using another browser such a Chrome.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

The new version of FF is waaaay better in terms of RAM and resources. The downside is a lot of the existing plug-ins are legacy and don't work. I can tell a distinct difference in speed in using the newer version. Did you update your FF yet?
So long, and thanks for all the fish
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

On my P4 rig I do not have these problems - do a check how to deal with addblock and hosts file from system, do use an user account not admin type account. User won't load all stuff as long as doesn't have rights - limited rights to refrain. By using this way with a default user account, machine is moving way faster, no joking. Admin loads more because has rights to do more, to not mention that some evil stuff done by low level "programmers" will not screw system files that easy using primitive methods. A router with ports blocked is also another helper - you really don't need roamers crawling around. Do some research at machine policies and restrict any protocol related to remote access if you don't need it. Let applications to do their task without OS involved. All entities that are listed for having access to your machine have to be deleted with no mercy.
To not forget a plugin for Coin blocking - your computer doesn't need to make money for others in background and so consuming CPU power while it does nothing for you.
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

It also depens on wich of os you are running wich version of Firefox.And ofcourse wich isp you have. :noidea
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
buby
Average

Post by buby »

@nogardilaref
Yes, it happens only with this game.
Yes I know that may Pc is very old (2006) but I have 4 Gb of memory very fast, an AMDx2 4400Mhz and a disk of 7200rpm. The pc work very well and also fast for my what I need, but FF is realy like a boulder. With the same PC, in Linux_Mint or Debian, I have the new version of FF (Quantum) that is much more faster and less invasive then the other FF I have with Xp in which it not possible to make an update of FF. But unfortunately I can play UT99 only with Windows and not with Linux. :evil: