Mapping, models and stuff.

Discussions about UT99
ItsYaBoiLoque
Novice
Personal rank: PhD in Fraggin' Ya!

Mapping, models and stuff.

Post by ItsYaBoiLoque »

Yo, it's ya boy Loque here and I got some questions, starting with mapping. I know you can MyLevel stuff but I can only seem to pack up textures, how do you do it with sounds, music and classes? Then, can you embed a mutator to a map? I mean, you can, but how can I make it run legit so that there are no funky things going on in the background? Then regarding sound, how plausible is it to use ambient sound in zone infos instead of map music?
Now this has been asked a million times but how do I get models working into UT, specifically, I would like to import models from Quake 3 and from UT 2004 into UT, I want to have the weapons and pickups in this game but though I have seen some done before, I wanna make them my way.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Mapping, models and stuff.

Post by EvilGrins »

There are multiple mutators out there of weapons from Quake to ut, as well as playable models from lots of other games.

For example - viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11880
also
Skim the mutators section.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
ItsYaBoiLoque
Novice

Post by ItsYaBoiLoque »

Yeah, I'm not that interested in player models as much, just models in general, specially weapons, pickups, projectiles, etc. And like I said, I know there are other mods that do this but I want to do it myself, just need to be directed to the proper tutorials or whatever I need to work on it. I like the UT 2K4 weapons, but I don't like UT 2K4 as much as UT.

It's mostly all about models, I know how to export textures and sounds, I just need to get around this modeling stuff. I know I can use UModel to extract models from games with Unreal Engine but what else?
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

ItsYaBoiLoque wrote:Then, can you embed a mutator to a map?
Yes, but probably this map won't be run by server admins. Maybe there is a better or another way to realize what you want to do.
ItsYaBoiLoque wrote:how plausible is it to use ambient sound in zone infos instead of map music?
You can assign ambient sound to ZoneInfos, and they will emit that sound like all other Actors, but they don't flood that Zone with sound (as one might expected).
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
ItsYaBoiLoque
Novice

Post by ItsYaBoiLoque »

Yeah, I figured admins wouldn't use it on their servers if it contains a mutator and I'm sure there are other ways to do this but we'll see, I gotta experiment, I don't know that much about mapping. Just to let you know, I am thinking about a videogames tribute kinda thing where I mix up different rooms with textures and sounds from games like Mario or Doom and I thought I could use a mutator to make players make the Mario jump sound when they jump in the Mario rooms. I was also thinking about Ambient Sound in ZoneInfo so that each room could have music from it's game and not have a messy .umx or something lame like that.

Now I need some help yo, I managed to get the static meshes of some ammo packs from UT2K4 into UT99 but in my end they look kinda funky depending on the angle and the distance from them so can someone please download this little test mutator I made and check them out? It replaces some ammo packs and the weapons that use them so nothing crappy happens, my PC sucks so maybe it is just me but I rather be sure. Also, the alt fire from the Shock Rifle bounces like the Razor Blades so have fun with that.
Attachments
System.rar
(489.9 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Was skimming "Screenshots for Fun", up to page 28, and found something you might like.

Take a look at this · http://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2313
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

ItsYaBoiLoque wrote:... so can someone please download this little test mutator I made and check them out?
I have used the mutator and most of the ammo looks fine to me (using D3D9Drv) - parts of the rocket box do fade or disappear when viewed from certain angles though.