ut99 and nVidia NVS cards

Discussions about UT99
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

ut99 and nVidia NVS cards

Post by UTPe »

Hi,
I've always been playing ut99 on a laptop (nVidia GeForce Go 6800 256Mb RAM) but now I would like to try playing on my home desktop pc. I have a SFF pc so I need a low-profile video card to take advantage of better graphics (Intel on board graphics are pretty limited) but most of all, because of power limits of my SFF pc, I need a low-consuming video card.
I found on eBay store an interesting product: nVidia NVS 315 1GB RAM. it's cheap and low consuming (19W) but I don't know how these cards behave with games, including the old ones like ut99. Usually people play ut99 on GeForce or Radeon cards, never heard about people playing FPS games on nVidia NVS.
is there anyone who has ever played on these cards ? might it be an adequate solution for ut99 or it's better relying on GeForce/Radeon systems ? any suggestions will be much appreciated, thanks.

greetings,
Pietro
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: ut99 and nVidia NVS cards

Post by esnesi »

i assume it wont give any problems. (assumption)

Don't know anything about the colors and shaders and such.
But the game ''should'' run offcourse with this hardware.

I think its a situation of: try and see how far you get.
''plug and pray''

Only experience with FX / GeForce / Radeon cards.
Most common issues: VSync problems overriding in driver causing gliding mouse, or delayed key-input.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

It all goes down to the actual supported drivers for those cards.

A few years ago there were a series of nVidia cards which just ran absolutely awful with UT99, despite running well for almost every other game, and the problem were the drivers for those specific cards.
But other than that, it doesn't really matter much which card you go with for UT99, they all should play fine, since all you need is an OpenGL/Direct3D capable card (which all nVidia cards are afaik), since the real UT99 bottleneck is the CPU, unlike UT2003 and beyond (UE2+).
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

The OS is the most likely to be the thing to cause problems.
OldUnreal has an experimental XOpenGL renderer for modern cards if you need them, but the newest OpenGL renderer should be fine.
UTPe
Masterful

Post by UTPe »

iSenSe wrote:I think its a situation of: try and see how far you get. "plug and pray"
this is the classic scenario I really dislike :?

Feralidragon wrote:It all goes down to the actual supported drivers for those cards.
I guess, it will be a jump into the void. this is the reason why I asked if someone ever used these cards.
I found a more cheaper card, a NVS 300 512Mb RAM. I'll try that and install the lastest available drivers from nVidia website. let's see what happens :what:

Feralidragon wrote:since the real UT99 bottleneck is the CPU, unlike UT2003 and beyond (UE2+).
the CPU is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4Ghz), it should be enough.

Dr.Flay wrote:The OS is the most likely to be the thing to cause problems.
well, to be honest, the only OS-related problem I experimented in the past was that about playing ut99 on Centrino platforms running WinXP (CPU clock was not correctly recognized by ut99). On other Microsoft systems, older or newer, with different nVidia and ATI cards, I never had a problem with the game or video rendering, it was all about render config (I had problems only with some mutators on Linux servers).

Dr.Flay wrote:OldUnreal has an experimental XOpenGL renderer for modern cards if you need them, but the newest OpenGL renderer should be fine.
I can give it a try, who knows ? thanks

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

RIP UTPE's PC
He turned on the graphics card and fired up UT, but then the PE -- I mean, the PC, exploded to a SIMPLY HOT and INCREDIBLE TARYDIUM (in other words, the scientifical collapse of the state of matter AWESOME GAME, that, when under GPU pressure, becomes TOO GODLIKE FOR MANKIND).

1 liek = 1 cry?
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
UTPe
Masterful

Post by UTPe »

Gustavo6046 wrote:RIP UTPE's PC
He turned on the graphics card and fired up UT, but then the PE -- I mean, the PC, exploded to a SIMPLY HOT and INCREDIBLE TARYDIUM (in other words, the scientifical collapse of the state of matter AWESOME GAME, that, when under GPU pressure, becomes TOO GODLIKE FOR MANKIND).

1 liek = 1 cry?

esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

UTPe wrote: this is the classic scenario I really dislike :?
Not that much money right, especially if you plan to do alot of research.

#ElCheapo cards are the best for oldschool gaming though, and CRT's 8)
UTPe
Masterful

Post by UTPe »

iSenSe wrote: Not that much money right, especially if you plan to do alot of research.

#ElCheapo cards are the best for oldschool gaming though, and CRT's 8)
I found on eBay used NVS 315 (1GB RAM) cards around 30/40€ while NVS 300/310 (512MB) around 15/20€.
the main reason I found these cards interesting for my SFF pc was power consumption (<20W). anyway, cheap doesn't always mean bad or not worthy. I've been playing for years with a GeForce 6800 on my laptop (Pentium M 780, one core 2.26Ghz) and had fun with it (but on very large and complex sniper maps), that is not surely a new generation machine.
I checked my hardware and, according to power consumption, I could also use some more evoluted cards but anyway it doesn't make sense to spend much on an old system to run a game I play only sometimes, better to save resources for a new pc. I just need something simple to play ut99 well enough at 1600x900 (I don't need max gfx detail either).
I've found also some old Radeon cards: if NVS is a fail, I'll go to those.