Do you guys still use Direct Input when playing UT?

Discussions about UT99
JimmyCognitti

Do you guys still use Direct Input when playing UT?

Post by JimmyCognitti »

I recently bought a brand-new Logitech Pro mouse that works great with all my games, however, I got a really annoying "stuttering" effect while playing UT, I noticed that "Direct Input" was checked, I unchecked it, restarted the game, and UT went back to normal. Oddly enough, this never happened before with other mice while playing UT.
Do you guys still use this feature (Direct Input)?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Do you guys still use Direct Input when playing UT?

Post by papercoffee »

I don't know ...I think I do.
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

I don't know if that really matters too much. Each person has a different pc and will have different results due to that.

Some people have mouse issues with the game all together. Wonder if there is something XC_Engine can do to make mouse support better or something?
I do use it. But my mouse is a high quality FPS centric mouse.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
JimmyCognitti

Post by JimmyCognitti »

SilverSound wrote:Each person has a different pc and will have different results due to that.
You're right there.
Anyways, I think this issue could be caused by some sort of incompatibility between Logitech Gaming Software and UT's built-in DI support. Well, at least the game is working fine now.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

It makes no change for me :P

DirectInput is a Microsoft DirectX component. Expect failures, frequent updates, incompatibilities and non-universality.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

It can give a few weird symptoms.

A few other options also affect this issue:
- Acceleration in the Driver has to be set OFF (Logitech Gaming Software i see you use, otherwise probably RAZOR software)
- Acceleration in Windows has to be default ON (configuration panel -> mouse -> pointer settings -> enhance pointer precision)

Whenever this is set you might get a ''freezing mouse'' in UT the first time you boot it.
If you Alt-Tab back to Windows and Alt-Tab back to UT, the cursor will move, and the issue is solved.

With above actions, you can notice sometimes a cursor being visisble in UT when you alt-tab back in. (default cross)
When DIRECT INPUT is turned OFF above issue is not present, but mouse might feel little more glidey then normal. (If acceleration is turned OFF in the driver atleast)

Like stated above by SilverSound, this can vary alot on different systems, but always handy to check out the other options which affect this function of UT.
JimmyCognitti

Post by JimmyCognitti »

iSenSe wrote: A few other options also affect this issue:
- Acceleration in the Driver has to be set OFF (Logitech Gaming Software i see you use, otherwise probably RAZOR software)
- Acceleration in Windows has to be default ON (configuration panel -> mouse -> pointer settings -> enhance pointer precision)

Whenever this is set you might get a ''freezing mouse'' in UT the first time you boot it.
If you Alt-Tab back to Windows and Alt-Tab back to UT, the cursor will move, and the issue is solved.
A very insightful post, DI is working again within the game after following the suggested steps, thanks!
Seems like Windows and LGS acceleration just don't like each other and make DI go crazy :lol2:
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

JimmyCognitti wrote:go crazy :lol2:
Sort of conflict i assume yeah.

Enhance Pointer Precision (Default Windows Acceleration under Mouse) is default on, and introduced since WinXP though.
Some prefer it off, some on, but can give a weird crazy freakass mixture of things in UT with overriding accelerations in Driver configs. :tongue:
With DI on, EPP should be set off to let it be exact 'raw input'.

Prepare for RSI wrists ;p
iSenSe wrote:Whenever this is set you might get a ''freezing mouse'' in UT the first time you boot it.
ehh.. vague isense.. with freezing i mean, the cursor might get stuck in the corner when you start it up.