Annual mapping contest

Discussions about UT99
darksonny
Adept

Re: Annual mapping contest

Post by darksonny »

Feralidragon wrote:Probably you guys should work in a more official announcement and properly spread it throughout all communities to spread awareness?

Otherwise, mappers scattered around won't really know there's a contest, and will miss out and be sad later on, just like it happened last year...
I second this, people the more guys get noticed for this event better is the quality or variety of the mappack! :tu:
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

I think I should hurry finishing those wooden carved boards I promised. :wtf: :lol2:

So far I have only 1. :what: Would be nice addition as prizes these year.
This member can only post when permitted.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Oh God please don't make last years errors. When the announce goes out it needs to be very clearly stated:
-End date for map submission (stick to this)
-Theme of the contest
-How the judging will be done
etc.

Someone needs to be in charge of this from the start and they need to be the contact person who makes the decisions. It was beyond a bad idea that every issue that came up ended up being a board discussion last year. It left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. paper and I worked VERY hard on our map and I'd wager put in way more man hours than anyone else and also brought something totally new to the contest that had never been done. Because the contest was so poorly thought out it could not compete against 'polish' of much more normal projects. Hey, if you want 17 more deathmatch winding path maps in six different themes then by all means advertise that. However make allowances for something new to be able to compete. You want fresh then you need to allow for that.

Or just make another map pack that everyone downloads and 2 people use.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Feralidragon wrote:Probably you guys should work in a more official announcement and properly spread it throughout all communities to spread awareness?

Otherwise, mappers scattered around won't really know there's a contest, and will miss out and be sad later on, just like it happened last year...
Good point. I'm working on it.
JackGriffin wrote:Oh God please don't make last years errors. When the announce goes out it needs to be very clearly stated:
-End date for map submission (stick to this)
-Theme of the contest
-How the judging will be done
etc.
Yes ...exactly.
JackGriffin wrote:Someone needs to be in charge of this from the start and they need to be the contact person who makes the decisions.
Guess who it will be :mrgreen:
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

With awesome you mean different? W00t? I hate ambiguity, and you gotta work on that!

Anyway, file me in! I guess I am better at UnrealEd (in terms of skills), and I hope I manage to make this map awesome! (but only you can judge my creations)
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction