Contest question

Discussions about UT99
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Contest question

Post by JackGriffin »

Bob and I spent a couple of hours last night tossing ideas around on doing a concept map for the contest. We want to do something not done before and we boiled it down to these ideas:
- Rework the PUBG mod so it's useable and doesn't infringe
- Make a map that selects a the gametype AFTER the map loads. Basically the map chooses a gametype randomly at load and then the map and everything inside it changes to accommodate the chosen game. We hashed out the implementation of this last night and it's certainly doable.
- Make a throwback map complete with the absolute earliest versions of everything from the pre-release builds. Don't know what I'm talking about? Here's an example, this is the early redeemer:
i2YCtZdr5kw
5ng-X4vtvlI

The map would have everything from the early builds that's salvageable: the map and textures, weapons and pickups, playermodels, etc. It's going to look twenty years old I promise you but it's neat to see what was the original idea for things. We'll call it UT97 heh heh :D
- We also had a couple of really good troll ideas but I think we are going to pass on those.
Spoiler
I wanted to make a map that lets you 'cheat' (in a sandbox sort of way) but also showed you how insecure the client is when connecting to the server. It could be done server side so that it's useless as a client cheat but I don't think people really care any more. We also came up with a the idea of trolling the contest with an ever-so-slightly unbeatable tournament ladder that had a Xan you could always get to the very edge of beating but it's not possible to actually win. That one would drive people insane. We also floated the idea of a concept map that loaded everything remotely. It's possible to create a container map that's a generic shell and then the map grabs all the assets from an external php server or local database file. This would mean the server admin could change the map at will or run multiple maps/gametypes from the same base map. It seems a maybe a little silly but imagine a BT map where you couldn't just memorize the sequence because it could change at any time in any way the admin wanted. You could also randomize sections so that MH players wouldn't know what's behind the door (or even if there is a door and that entire section).
Anyway is any of this intriguing to anyone?
So long, and thanks for all the fish
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: Contest question

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Do it! Please! I'm always interested in old or unused content (I made voicepacks that reused the older taunts from the UT beta)! Bookmarking this for sure, good luck!
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Rework the PUBG mod so it's useable and doesn't infringe
My limbs are numb!

So good to read this Kelly, and soo much appreciated!
As for your ideas, they seem really cool to me!
I look at it as a ''perfect throwback''.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I had not seen the older look of that and that is interesting. I hope to see more with what you do, I'm interested. :)
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Wow ! :shock:
All that brainstorming of crazy ideas, and you just out did it all.
(puts on a hat)
I take my hat off to you sir.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

The funny part is that's only the ideas we had that could actually be done. Since Flak is paying attention we don't want to do something that might be seen in a poor light at Epic. Bob has a COMPLETE Portal map done and you cannot tell it's UEngine if you turn off the HUD. He really wanted to work with that but it's just not a good idea for a formal contest.

I hesitate to tell this but....well fuck it, we are all friends. We almost did a map that used a remote connection to :airquotes: track persistent scoring across servers :airquotes: What it actually did was feed verbal responses to the bots to use on players. Since I know most of you I could use an IP check along with the name to be reasonably sure it was you playing and then send tailored messages for the bots to say. Can you imagine the bots going "You fucking suck Steve, you should have stayed at Sears". I know a lot about everyone and it would be easy to make enough generic and specific messages to absolutely freak you out. I can only imagine your face when you see your real name or real stuff being said by what is clearly a bot. Frankly though it's too much like gaslighting to be funny.

There was more but it only gets creepier. On second though maybe you ought not let us enter :satan:
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Such a shame you weren't in the Epic UT discord when some nay-sayers were dissing Paper and the competition, saying "Why bother if everything has already been done".
I did note this came from someone that apparently just converts old UT maps to UT4 :noidea
No imagination obviously.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

There's another 20 OK-ish ideas we had too but these were the better ones. Anyone who says there's nothing left has no imagination. There's nothing left that I particularly want to do but to think that means the well is dry...well, that's dumb.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

What about a big map, filled with cubic Actors, that you can destroy? You would need to carve, with firepower, your way to find out where the others are. These actors respawn after a large, but set, amount of time. I believe it would have bot support, since bots can see through actors.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Gustavo6046 wrote:What about a big map, filled with cubic Actors, that you can destroy? You would need to carve, with firepower, your way to find out where the others are. These actors respawn after a large, but set, amount of time. I believe it would have bot support, since bots can see through actors.
oooold
viewtopic.php?p=73329#p73329
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

No, dude. I mean a big ass room, completely full of destructible Movers or Actors, except for pockets of air where players spawn. All the cubes can be destroyed. You'd tunnel to enemies.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Gustavo6046 wrote:full of destructible Movers
Sadly the engine does not like more than an handful movers in a visible area. Otherwise they lose their surface partially or begin to flicker (see also Blinking Movers problem :().
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

What about cube Actors, then? I tried to do it myself, but my mesh exporter (Blender) just can't get the UVs right.

Weapon of Destruction
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

You could do it in Unreal227 but not in UT. I tried everything to get the constructor gun to work in UT.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Destructable/destroyable brushes by JackGriffin
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4877