DM-UnnamedWIP

Discussions about UT99
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Re: DM-UnnamedWIP

Post by Swanky »

Unless you're dealing with highpoly models as in Angeldust or with the absurd amount of Terrain in Narean I don't think it's necessary to use those kind of meshes. You might use the non-shadowcasting properties to emulate light reflection or easier lighting in general, but I don't think it makes my life easier, or that of any mapper given how much stuff you have to do to get it working. I've built some big and detailed maps in my time and even with Narean using meshes was a decision that mostly hinged on the engine's ability to cope with the amount of polygons per terrain brush (aside from the plants and roots, those actually were a nice touch). So until further notice, I consider this mesh discussion closed and out of place. Thank you very much.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

NEXT!

(Does a reddit reference carry in here or is that wasted humor?)
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

I know of this reddit. Not my cup of tea, though. :P

Still a bit unsure whether I like the orange or red/pinkish hue better. The latter carries a nice Mass Effect Omega feeling with it, though.

€ Some more lighting shots. Not completely happy with it, especially the outdoor area. But also not superbad. I kinda like the pinkish hue. Also, not final lighting, a few lightsources are still missing. Screenshots are about a notch darker than ingame for me.
Spoiler

Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

If the map was completely indoors, I would prefer the first one (orange), however since the map is outdoors with the sun light being quite orange in itself already, the second one (pink) seems much better overall as it creates contrast.
Although, pink seems gives a more "futuristic" vibe, while orange gives out a more "industrial" one, so I wonder if a hue somewhere in between would be better (leaning towards pink, but not as strongly as you show there).
Revelation
Average
Personal rank: UEngine violator

Post by Revelation »

Overall lighting looks good.
I think the pink lights fit nicely, though judging from the screenshots I would saturate them even a bit more, so they look less rosy.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

This pack will have great looking maps - I'm with rev on this - maybe lean the pink towards the orange a wee bit... OMEGA!
damn, now I have a mass effect head worm... great looking stuff, well, as expected - I guess! can you fit 4 players?
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

Thank you for your opinions, that helped me a good deal! :)
I think I'll settle for the pink look, I have dialed back the sunlight color a bit and put in a more fitting skybox; now I have to decide whether I want to focus more on the reddish lights or the blue ones, or if I want to strike a balance. I'm slightly leaning towards the reddish look in general. Most difficult part right now is not to make it look all over the place which is kinda difficult because of the incoming sunlight in the center room.
€ I scaled down the pink flares by around 50% which helped with the look a lot @ Revelation.

€2 Unfortunatly I had to revert back to orange. I used a setting somewhere in between the two colors (25/0 for original orange hue and 0/100 for pink, with 15/75 for ambience illumination), now I'm using 25/50 for orange lighting. Reason being the outdoor area. Thing caused more issues than it solved (if it did any other than giving off a cool atmosphere) - and took around 3 days to build, too; much more than I had anticipated. If I had the pink/reddish look left in I felt the whole map being way too colorful between the pale gold sundown light and light yellow lanterns and windows, blue shadows, light blue lights and stark pink lighting. I left in bits of the original lighting in a few places as contrast points. The map feels more coherent this way, even if a little too oldschool. The lifts are in as well, so I can focus on item placement and pathing next. Should take a lot less time, thankfully.
Spoiler

The map is now in BETA Status here.